Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2006, 05:46 AM   #1
svgoldst
CF Newbie

Unhappy chevy cavalier

Hello. This past summer I bought my first car. It is a 1996 Chevy Cavalier. I spent $2000 on it and it has 197,000 miles on it. About 2 weeks ago my transmission went and I had to have it replaced which was a big dent in my pocket. I attend college about 110 miles from home and I go back and fourth a lot. A friend of mine likes to build cars and race them and told me that my engine is ready to go but he bases his judgement soley on the miles the car has and the fact that it is a Chevy. How do I know when the engine is getting ready to go? Are there particular signs to look out for? Is the engine worth replacing? How much long should I expect it to last for? Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
svgoldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:57 AM   #2
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by svgoldst
Hello. This past summer I bought my first car. It is a 1996 Chevy Cavalier. I spent $2000 on it and it has 197,000 miles on it. About 2 weeks ago my transmission went and I had to have it replaced which was a big dent in my pocket. I attend college about 110 miles from home and I go back and fourth a lot. A friend of mine likes to build cars and race them and told me that my engine is ready to go but he bases his judgement soley on the miles the car has and the fact that it is a Chevy. How do I know when the engine is getting ready to go? Are there particular signs to look out for? Is the engine worth replacing? How much long should I expect it to last for? Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

You're friend is an idiot then. Get a compression test done it, that will msot likely give you the most accurate answer. As long as regular oil changes are done, and maintenance is kept up, it should go for a long time.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

my brother has a 96 cavalier, the engine seized from being treated badly and now he has another identical one out of some random junkyard cavalier

and no problems since

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
jackal2000
CF Enthusiast

what motor is it?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:42 PM   #5
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2000
what motor is it?

2.2L

145 hp 150 lb ft

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:35 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svgoldst
Woah, don't go jumping the gun there! You are geting far too worried about omething that hasn't even happened yet, byasking for prices and how worthwhile an engine change will be. Just keep up with routine maintenence and servicing and take each mile as it comes! Also, if it's belt driven (I'm in UK.....), make sure you change the cambelt at the advised intervals, otherwis, you might well have to look at a new engine!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:36 AM   #7
True_Brit
Has a new job!

197,000miles? why so many??? my 96 vauxhall vectra has 100,000 miles on it!!!

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:49 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
Could be many reasons...rep mobil? company car? There's lots of long straight roads there too dont forget!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 10-29-2006, 01:54 AM   #9
True_Brit
Has a new job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Could be many reasons...rep mobil? company car? There's lots of long straight roads there too dont forget!
and that the country is big, i realised after posting, but i found out, my car was ex rental

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:55 AM   #10
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
and that the country is big, i realised after posting, but i found out, my car was ex rental
Alot of Vectras are. Same with most midsized family saloons, like the Mondeo, too.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:25 PM   #11
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:

the red firebird in my sig has 186,000 miles... it replaced another similar firebird that had 275,000 miles when it got totalled... still ran great, though

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote