Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2005, 05:52 AM   #31
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
See thats all I wanted was,t so hard was it :-p

Not at all. I just don't wanna cause any hard feelings amongst anyone here. Except 420amodder, I dont like him.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:41 AM   #32
Aondor
CF Addict

hey

HEY CHRIS V YOU OWN A COMET? awesome
could you post me some pics id liek to see it.

I own a 73 hard top everything original outside of the engine 54k miles
Aondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:47 AM   #33
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
My lord you're dumb. You could just google for "Oldsmobile 455ci specs", but if you want an engine pic here you go

I havent dynod it. But with age its probably making 290 or so at the rear wheels.

They had several 455's.

310hp, 320hp, 365hp, 370hp and 390hp.

All according to Olds. But then again you cant rate horsepower today like they did then. Some of those ratings might be gross, which is obviously going to bump up the rating more than if it were measured as of todays standards.

Also I wouldn't call any "Appearance" modification (or stock useless crap like some body cladding on your Firebird) "rice". Afterall look at those aftermarket CHROME Edelbrock Valve covers you have. I'm sure those added 50hp You'd be a hypocrite at this point if you continue to rag on appearance modifications or useless body cladding. Obviously you care about appearance too since you decided to go flashy and put chrome Edelbrock Covers on your 455.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 10:22 AM   #34
nsupra27
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
Also I wouldn't call any "Appearance" modification (or stock useless crap like some body cladding on your Firebird) "rice". Afterall look at those aftermarket CHROME Edelbrock Valve covers you have. I'm sure those added 50hp You'd be a hypocrite at this point if you continue to rag on appearance modifications or useless body cladding. Obviously you care about appearance too since you decided to go flashy and put chrome Edelbrock Covers on your 455.
I'm pretty sure he's referring to stuff like neons, extreme body kits, large wings, alot of stickers and/or vinyls and big ass rims, shit like that, not a ****ing valve cover.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:48 PM   #35
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
They had several 455's.

310hp, 320hp, 365hp, 370hp and 390hp.

All according to Olds. But then again you cant rate horsepower today like they did then. Some of those ratings might be gross, which is obviously going to bump up the rating more than if it were measured as of todays standards.

Its BHP. Those valve covers were put on by the previous owner of the vehicle.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:09 PM   #36
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Its BHP. Those valve covers were put on by the previous owner of the vehicle.
What's BHP? Can you define it? Do you have any idea of the meaning of the acronym? Not just the words but the actual difference between HP nad BHP? I bet not. No fair Googling it up before replying. What T-bird is refering to is the different procedures used to arrive at net or gross HP.

I bet if you check your casting numbers the engine in your car is a 403. A leaky 403 at that with a glass fuel filter (can you say fire hazard) that appears to be installed upside down.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:20 PM   #37
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
What's BHP? Can you define it? Do you have any idea of the meaning of the acronym? Not just the words but the actual difference between HP nad BHP? I bet not. No fair Googling it up before replying. What T-bird is refering to is the different procedures used to arrive at net or gross HP.

I bet if you check your casting numbers the engine in your car is a 403. A leaky 403 at that with a glass fuel filter (can you say fire hazard) that appears to be installed upside down.
EDIT, let Oomba answer it

Last edited by 99integra : 11-06-2005 at 05:38 PM.
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:27 PM   #38
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsupra27
I'm pretty sure he's referring to stuff like neons, extreme body kits, large wings, alot of stickers and/or vinyls and big ass rims, shit like that, not a ****ing valve cover.

It doesn't matter, he has an "extreme body kit" on his Firebird by some people. An appearance modification is an appearance modification and if it doesnt improve performance than it's "rice" to him... So obviously he's riced his Firebird with Chrome Valve Covers.

~Blow your mind~

Old 11-06-2005, 06:42 PM   #39
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
It doesn't matter, he has an "extreme body kit" on his Firebird by some people. An appearance modification is an appearance modification and if it doesnt improve performance than it's "rice" to him... So obviously he's riced his Firebird with Chrome Valve Covers.
And the poor functioning, fire hazard but very flashy fuel filter.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 11-06-2005, 06:51 PM   #40
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
And the poor functioning, fire hazard but very flashy fuel filter.

Didn't even notice that until then, nice find

And it may be the picture quality but right below the radiator hose from the rad-engine it looks torn up right before it gets to the engine.

~Blow your mind~

Old 11-06-2005, 06:58 PM   #41
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Didn't even notice that until then, nice find

And it may be the picture quality but right below the radiator hose from the rad-engine it looks torn up right before it gets to the engine.
Yep, it also looks like the fuel line to the fuel pump is missing a hose clamp.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:05 PM   #42
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Brake horsepower. As in, the standard used in the old days for measuring horsepower. Im sure its lower than that, and yes I have work on the engine left to do. I was planning on either replacing it with another crate 455, or maybe trying to work an LS1 into it. I dont know yet. Its in storage till spring, anyhow.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:16 PM   #43
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Brake horsepower. As in, the standard used in the old days for measuring horsepower. Im sure its lower than that, and yes I have work on the engine left to do. I was planning on either replacing it with another crate 455, or maybe trying to work an LS1 into it. I dont know yet. Its in storage till spring, anyhow.

You dont understand.

BHP is always constant, but the WAY YOU MEASURE IT is not. Gross and net BHP are two different ways of arriving at BHP.

Think of it this way, it's like income, there are two ways of measuring it, before the government robs you (gross) and after the government robs you (net). Today we use a mostly net based system (ultimately one day we'll move to JUST waht's measured at the wheels) while back then they used a more gross rating system.

~Blow your mind~

Old 11-07-2005, 03:23 PM   #44
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

From the Wikipedia (so I don't have to type it from memory):

BHP, Brake Horse Power, is horspeower measured on a braking dyno. Brake horsepower was a term commonly used before the 1970s in the United States, and is still common in the United Kingdom. It indicates the brake dyno, the device for measuring the true power of the engine. Stating power in 'bhp' gives some indication this is a true reading, rather than a calculated or predicted one. However, several manufacturers started to strip their engines of essential ancillaries for the purposes of getting a high horsepower figure to use in marketing the car.

In the United States the term fell into disuse after the American Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) recommended manufacturers use "hp (SAE)" to indicate the power of the engine, given that particular car's complete engine installation. This may also be stated as "SAE net hp" or simply "net hp".

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote