Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2005, 04:22 AM   #16
newyorker
MXman

So my neon will be at 300 horsepower? With an all stock motor? That cant be good, I dont wana start leaving things behind me on the road when running Nitrous
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:22 AM   #17
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
Nope. With nitrous, you're getting more air in, but there always needs to be 14.7 parts oxygen to 1 part gasoline (stoic).

So now, instead of 73.5 parts oxygen with 5 parts gasoline, you're getting 147 parts oxygen to 10 parts gasoline.

And there is no real 'burning cleaner'. You're just thinking of burning 'leaner' which is VERY bad for your car when your combustion chamber is running lean with nitrous.
So it just doubles the input of both. What I mean is, in the oxygen/fuel ratio, the more it wieghs towards the oxygen, the cleaner the car will burn, b/c it will make less carbon monoxide.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:29 AM   #18
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
You might want to tell John Sheppard that, because I'm not sure he knows .

But why would an old University Professor with a degree in agriculture care about nitrous?...Besides, I can't find his e-mail anywhere, and he's dead...didn't you get the note?...He died 66 years ago

John Shepperd

Just wanted to make sure everyone knew

EDIT:...I just saw the first post, and was wondering how long a 10L bottle would last?

DOUBLE EDIT: Spelled the first EDIT wrong
Old 12-12-2005, 04:32 AM   #19
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
But why would an old University Professor with a degree in agriculture care about nitrous?...Besides, I can't find his e-mail anywhere, and he's dead...didn't you get the note?...He died 66 years ago

John Shepperd

EDIT:...I just saw the first post, and was wondering how long a 10L bottle would last?

DOUBLE EDIT: Spelled the first EDIT wrong
If its Nitrous then I really have no idea. If NAWZ, then for a 1/4 mile race, and it will blow the mantifolds and make your car do a cool spinout, and might get you told off by the big man himself, Vin Diesel.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:42 AM   #20
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
If its Nitrous then I really have no idea. If NAWZ, then for a 1/4 mile race, and it will blow the mantifolds and make your car do a cool spinout, and might get you told off by the big man himself, Vin Diesel.

Right, right, NAWZ ...stupid keyboard

Real NAWZ won't only blow the manifolds, it'll blow floormats, window tints, I've even seen it pop the steering wheel right off...just *POP*
Old 12-12-2005, 04:46 AM   #21
newyorker
MXman

Quote:

Real NAWZ won't only blow the manifolds, it'll blow floormats, window tints, I've even seen it pop the steering wheel right off...just *POP*
Thats nothing. Ive seen it further ruin bad movies, blow people out of their seats, and dont forget blow girl's skirts up .
P.S. Finally a more or less useful purpose for it. (aside racing)
Old 12-12-2005, 04:54 AM   #22
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:
It's plenty worth it. Name one other upgrade where you can get 150 horses for 500-600 bucks.
And here's a link for info on nitrous

My apologies, I wasn't specific enough. I meant it's not worth it for him, as he doesn't plan on seriously racing and isnt running a very powerful engine to start with (no offense Alex, I'm stating strictly facts, I'm sure you can agree).

Thanks for the link, I know more about this stuff now than I did before. I'm learning, yay!
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:54 AM   #23
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:

Don't forget frying the pistons.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:57 AM   #24
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
Don't forget frying the pistons.
WOW you did learn
Old 12-12-2005, 04:58 AM   #25
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
My apologies, I wasn't specific enough. I meant it's not worth it for him, as he doesn't plan on seriously racing and isnt running a very powerful engine to start with (no offense Alex, I'm stating strictly facts, I'm sure you can agree).

Thanks for the link, I know more about this stuff now than I did before. I'm learning, yay!
None taken. Its just a car to get around for the time being. Still beats the other people in my school that have cars. Out of all of the people that go to our school, less than 30 drive their own cars to school.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:03 AM   #26
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

I have one comment for you Nissan_Altima - the stock Neon block, head, and cams can take up to about 600hp before it becomes a major issue. Only thing that you need to worry about are the rods and pistons, and those will take about 330hp before its a problem. So a 100 shot of Nitrous wouldn't fry the engine
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:05 AM   #27
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
So it just doubles the input of both. What I mean is, in the oxygen/fuel ratio, the more it wieghs towards the oxygen, the cleaner the car will burn, b/c it will make less carbon monoxide.

Hmmm....maybe. But it's not practical, cause the next thing to go when you run lean is your combustion chamber. So, you'll be putting out cleaner air, but it'll only be putting out that clean air for 1,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_knows

Wow....if DSMer were still here....even though you are being sarcastic....

He would still rip your dink off.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:07 AM   #28
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
I have one comment for you Nissan_Altima - the stock Neon block, head, and cams can take up to about 600hp before it becomes a major issue. Only thing that you need to worry about are the rods and pistons, and those will take about 330hp before its a problem. So a 100 shot of Nitrous wouldn't fry the engine
Damn. Thanks for the bit of info. What if you put in a Magnum head? And the engine is a 420a. Were there any variants? I have the DOHC and the SOHC might hvae been the 420a. Where can I find the info. Is if printed on the block somewhere?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:08 AM   #29
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Damn. Thanks for the bit of info. What if you put in a Magnum head? And the engine is a 420a. Were there any variants? I have the DOHC and the SOHC might hvae been the 420a. Where can I find the info. Is if printed on the block somewhere?

Both the SOHC and DOHC were cast on the same block, the 420a - the head is the difference, the SOHC is standalone, the DOHC shares the same head as the 2.4.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 05:13 AM   #30
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife

Woah! Are you serious? I had no idea!

In that case, say he gets a Nitrous Kit for about $600. That plus careful installation, will come out to under a grand. Is it ready to use or is there something else?