Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 02:07 AM   #31
What
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Costa Nocha
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
A vette cant touch an evo on a track, at the strip sure, but dragstrips dont really involve too much driving skill. Its stoneage...


Nurburing Lap Times

7:43 --- 2006 Corvette Z06
7:56 --- Chevrolet Corvette Base C6
8:11 --- Mitsubishi Lancer EVO IX

Reality sucks.

Laps on the Nurburing can vary from driver to driver, but seriously, the Evo machine appears to be at a disadvantage.

The new Evo will probably be slower.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:12 AM   #32
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL
 
Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
On par with lotus! hahahah the elise doesnt even have carpeting I believe its all plasticy and lightweight. A leaf spring is this...I dont see it on SUVs anymore


Yes I have sat in a vette and it was crap. the only thing I liked were the seats and HUD thats all. A vette cant touch an evo on the track at the strip sure, but dragstrips dont really involve too much driving skill. Its stoneage, I dont care if they are from 25 years ago or not. My ****ing civic has a more advanced suspension for ****s sake
This post is so full of bull shit its retarded.

Im willing to bet a Vette could outrun an evo on most road courses.

And I get so tired of people saying driving at the strip is easy. Your not allowed to say that until after you cut some sub 2 second 60' times on street tires and over 300whp. You probably couldnt run a 14 in a c6.

Have you looked at your civics suspension. haha
Everytime we have one on the lift at work we all come and look at all the shitty looking parts and laugh. Yah your right your civic has such good suspension.

And I have a road and track sittin next to me so we are gonna go to that so I dont have to look anythign up.
skidpad slalom
Corvette Coupe non Z51 .95 67 mph
Evo .88 68.9mph

So looks like the vette has more grip but the evo is slightly more nimble. Id be willing to bet the vette would run just a good through the corners and then power away from the evo on the straights.
__________________
Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:40 AM   #33
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 114
Uhhh a Z06 will eat an Evo alive. Strip or road course. Even at the AutoX. It has alot more contact patch and it weighs less.

As for the corvette leaf spring... Your logic clearly shows why you own a civic and not a corvette. No offense...

The Corvette leaf spring which is oh so antiquated is actually made of composite. It weighs less than the coils it replaces, it is placed lower in the chassis, it outlast the coil spring, and you can adjust the ride height of the vehicle based soley off the end links with out changing springs. Fact of the matter is that it works, and damn well. It works BETTER than the coil springs it replaced.

Also, please realize the C6 Z06 actually ran a faster lap than the McLaren F1 around the Nuremburg ring. The Evo flat out didn't. Enough said on that Evo v. Corvette debate.

Road and track got this for slalom and skid pad, C6 on the left, Z06 on the right:

200-ft skidpad 0.93g 0.96g
700-ft slalom 69.9 mph 71.2 mph

Corvette is more nimble than the Evo, as I said, weighs less, has more power, and more tire.

Last edited by rudypoochris : 09-06-2007 at 02:43 AM.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:22 AM   #34
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudypoochris
Uhhh a Z06 will eat an Evo alive. Strip or road course. Even at the AutoX. It has alot more contact patch and it weighs less.

As for the corvette leaf spring... Your logic clearly shows why you own a civic and not a corvette. No offense...

The Corvette leaf spring which is oh so antiquated is actually made of composite. It weighs less than the coils it replaces, it is placed lower in the chassis, it outlast the coil spring, and you can adjust the ride height of the vehicle based soley off the end links with out changing springs. Fact of the matter is that it works, and damn well. It works BETTER than the coil springs it replaced.

Also, please realize the C6 Z06 actually ran a faster lap than the McLaren F1 around the Nuremburg ring. The Evo flat out didn't. Enough said on that Evo v. Corvette debate.

Road and track got this for slalom and skid pad, C6 on the left, Z06 on the right:

200-ft skidpad 0.93g 0.96g
700-ft slalom 69.9 mph 71.2 mph

Corvette is more nimble than the Evo, as I said, weighs less, has more power, and more tire.
While that may all be true, and I might have been wrong, I still wouldnt buy one..i just dont like american cars plain and simple..I think I could have just as much fun in an NSX
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:17 AM   #35
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
While that may all be true, and I might have been wrong, I still wouldnt buy one..i just dont like american cars plain and simple..I think I could have just as much fun in an NSX

While thats great for you. I don't think your Chevrolets target audience. Can you afford said NSX or Corvette? If not I doubt Chevrolet cares too much unless your friends looking for super cars really listen to everything you say. In any case, as I was saying, while all that is your opinion, it doesn't change the fact that lots of people prefer the better performance and lower cost of a Z06 to an NSX, hence why Corvettes outsell NSX's.

Last edited by rudypoochris : 09-06-2007 at 08:24 AM.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:40 PM   #36
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudypoochris
While thats great for you. I don't think your Chevrolets target audience. Can you afford said NSX or Corvette? If not I doubt Chevrolet cares too much unless your friends looking for super cars really listen to everything you say. In any case, as I was saying, while all that is your opinion, it doesn't change the fact that lots of people prefer the better performance and lower cost of a Z06 to an NSX, hence why Corvettes outsell NSX's.
Thats not the only reason. A corvette is an icon, and a name, while an NSX is still a honda. Sure you can get used ones for as little as 25-30k, but still, an NSX is a honda and a corvette is a corvette, it has history behind it
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:31 PM   #37
What
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Costa Nocha
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Thats not the only reason. A corvette is an icon, and a name, while an NSX is still a honda. Sure you can get used ones for as little as 25-30k, but still, an NSX is a honda and a corvette is a corvette, it has history behind it
Stop the madness. "Just" a Honda? Thats what you believe people think of the NSX?

The NSX name is legendary. It changedFerrari. People who know cars know that the NSX was arguably the best supercar of its era. People who don't know cars won't recognize it as a Honda vehicle.

Honda was asking potential NSX customers to pay the price of a very good modern sports car for a car that hasn't been new since 1991...and yes, it still has less than 300hp. A 350z might out perform it, all of today's M cars will, but a Z06 would straight up stomp that mutha f'er. Today"s Corvette is way more powerful, more advanced and cheaper than the NSX. Aside from being in different price brackets, these are the reasons Corvettes out-sell NSX. Stick a Honda excuse up your ass.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #38
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
While that may all be true, and I might have been wrong, I still wouldnt buy one..i just dont like american cars plain and simple..I think I could have just as much fun in an NSX

I've asked you this befor,e but does it physically hurt to be this closed minded? Yore' a retard, pure and simple You don't even know the rudimentary facts behind the vette's composite "leaf" spring and why it works so well.

To repeat what I posted before...

1st... the Corvette uses an extremely lightweight composite monoleaf that is about as high tech as suspension components get. By mounting it on the car in the center of the "leaf," the spring actually carries it's own weight, which is better for suspension response. It weights A LOT LESS than coil springs. One leaf replaces two coils. The two coil springs weigh 3 times as much as the one leaf. Additionally the leaf is placed at the bottom of the car so that in addition to removing weight you lower the CG.

2nd...traditional buggy leave springs were multi leaves and were used as suspension arms as well as springs, which was bad due to being inherently flexible. Plus they had friction as the leaves rubbed against each other. The Corvette's monoleaf only has olne job to do: be a spring. That's what makes it unlike any other leaf spring suspension of old cars.

3rd... you really think coil springs are some sort of new development?

Why doesn't everyone use it?

-Engineers like to stick with what they know. Lots of suspension engineers are familiar with using coil springs. They could experiment with leaves if they wanted or they could stick with coils and get the job done.

-Perception. Just like pushrods, the leaf spring as a stigma attached to it. The reasons for the stigma are legit (a key component to old, heavy and typically poor handling suspension). However the reality is the sum of the older parts was the problem, not a specific part of it. In the older buggy spring type setups (like the rears of older cars) the leaf spring was not just the spring, but all of the suspension. The Corvette is actually a dual A arm suspension that has one half of a high tech composite leaf as the spring, and that's all the leaf does.

Coil race springs are not car specific. You select rates, diameters, length etc but you donít have a specific spring for a specific car. If you want to order a custom spring Hypercoil will wind it to your specifications on the same machine they use for the next custom spring. A custom Porsche, Formula Ford and LMP car spring can all be made on the same machine. By the time the C6 evolves into a C6-R (they donít start off with a production Corvette) the suspension geometry is so different that they couldnít just mount a C6 leaf spring. Itís far too expensive to have a few custom leaf springs tooled up (you would have to buy the tooling as well as the springs) so they use readily available coil springs.

This type of universal tooling isnít available for the composite leaf spring. Only the Vette currently uses the spring so you are making a Vette only part. This seriously reduces the market for aftermarket composite leaf springs (still there are after market leaf springs available for the Vette). The business case for custom equipment to make Vette springs is harder to justify since itís a smaller market.

In reviews, such as between the Corvette and say, Porsche, the reviewers are using the stigma as fact. They still equate the leaf with old style buggy leaf suspension and look for reasons to call it out, even if they have to make up those reasons. The differences in the car's "feel" have nothing to do with the spring material, but with shock/spring rates and with car layout (the Porsche is heavily rear biased, the Corvette is evenly balanced, but heavy). But since the dual A arms of the Corvette have a single composite monoleaf half attached to it at the outer end, those reviewers think that the "stoneage leaf spring suspension" is sub par in comparison,and to blame for the differences in feel. It could be tires and tire pressures. It could be in alignment specs, or A arm geometry, or in the bushings in the steering. Assuming it's the composite monoleaf because you equate it with old style buggy springs is ludicrous, but magazine reviewers will do that. And so did you.

Ignorance colors your perception of the world and you think it's perfectly acceptable to BE ignorant and idiotic.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.