Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2005, 09:50 PM   #1
Fgreco
CF Enthusiast

Car speakers I need advise.

Hi I have the 1997 mystique I know that it isn't a car to customize but, I would like to get a stereo system in it I want to know what kind of speakers are good prepherably the make of the speaker like sony. I am going to cercuit city tomarrow to see what they have and can install in my car I have no Idea how to install I know the speakers are 6x8 or 5x7 will also fit. please try and help me thanks I appreciate everyones opinion or advice.
Fgreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 10:23 PM   #2
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

ahahahahha....sony!

sorry, but sony sucks.

get some Kicker's or Rockford Fosgates, Concept if you can find it, Pioneer as well. Just not sony.

obviously you arent looking to drop alot of money if you were looking at sonys, otherwise id tell you to step up into the world of mb quartz, focal, boston, and the likes.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:59 PM   #3
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
ahahahahha....sony!

sorry, but sony sucks.

get some Kicker's or Rockford Fosgates, Concept if you can find it, Pioneer as well. Just not sony.

obviously you arent looking to drop alot of money if you were looking at sonys, otherwise id tell you to step up into the world of mb quartz, focal, boston, and the likes.
Whats wrong with Sonys? They sound alright. They have good highs. Im just not to fond of their subs.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:42 AM   #4
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
Whats wrong with Sonys? They sound alright. They have good highs. Im just not to fond of their subs.

im not fond of sony car audio at all. do a listening test, and a nice RF or Kicker or Alpine will tear it a new one...
Old 08-22-2005, 12:43 AM   #5
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
im not fond of sony car audio at all. do a listening test, and a nice RF or Kicker or Alpine will tear it a new one...
Well of course RF or Alpine will. To be honest, Ive never really heard a Kicker system before.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:58 AM   #6
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
Well of course RF or Alpine will. To be honest, Ive never really heard a Kicker system before.

dont bother with solobaric subs...theyre muddy as hell....the comp series arent shabby at all though

their amps and speakers are good though
Old 08-23-2005, 01:54 AM   #7
Fgreco
CF Enthusiast

No I didnt want sony's maybe I had a typo sorrry. I went to cercuit city and was going to get 4 5x7" polk speakers and a new receaver a jvc 50x4. They wanted 500$ including installation I said forget it. I know how to do it I just need like a manual or maybe a site that can show me it will take time but, I can put one in myself I think. Mercury mystique 97' like I need to know what is positive and negative but, I would be able to figure it out it is just really the damn door panneling I have power door and locks and windows. can anyone give me more advice and some sites I can learn from. thanks to all of you ever since I came here you guys have been great.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:02 AM   #8
nushaganazad
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fgreco
No I didnt want sony's maybe I had a typo sorrry. I went to cercuit city and was going to get 4 5x7" polk speakers and a new receaver a jvc 50x4. They wanted 500$ including installation I said forget it. I know how to do it I just need like a manual or maybe a site that can show me it will take time but, I can put one in myself I think. Mercury mystique 97' like I need to know what is positive and negative but, I would be able to figure it out it is just really the damn door panneling I have power door and locks and windows. can anyone give me more advice and some sites I can learn from. thanks to all of you ever since I came here you guys have been great.

I have a ton of car audio for sale for speakers/headunits/amps/subs/boxes what ever lol. and yea sorry to say, sony is on th e elvel of audiobahn, actually audiobahn is slightly better sad to say. Sony has no mids/highs/hell no lows either. If u can dont get 5 by 7 speakers, modify your door to fit an exactly circular speaker like a 6.5 or 5.5 because they have much better sq. In the ack of your car though you most likely have 6 by 9s could be wrong lol, but if ur not adding subs i would use memphis 6 by 9s, sq isnt good(no 6 by 9m sounds good) but these have the best bass of any speaker ive everheard. good spekaers to look for in a good price range are infinity references are decent, kappas are slightly better, and there perfects are VERY VERY clear and bright. go with those if u can. also, if u can add an amp. because with a jvc headunit/ or any headunit under 500 bucks you will only push 7-10 watts rms to each speaker. Dont go with JVC though, its garbage. Go kenwood,eclipse, pioneer, or somen along those lines if ur looking for good quality stuff.
nushaganazad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:36 AM   #9
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushaganazad
I have a ton of car audio for sale for speakers/headunits/amps/subs/boxes what ever lol. and yea sorry to say, sony is on th e elvel of audiobahn, actually audiobahn is slightly better sad to say. Sony has no mids/highs/hell no lows either. If u can dont get 5 by 7 speakers, modify your door to fit an exactly circular speaker like a 6.5 or 5.5 because they have much better sq. In the ack of your car though you most likely have 6 by 9s could be wrong lol, but if ur not adding subs i would use memphis 6 by 9s, sq isnt good(no 6 by 9m sounds good) but these have the best bass of any speaker ive everheard. good spekaers to look for in a good price range are infinity references are decent, kappas are slightly better, and there perfects are VERY VERY clear and bright. go with those if u can. also, if u can add an amp. because with a jvc headunit/ or any headunit under 500 bucks you will only push 7-10 watts rms to each speaker. Dont go with JVC though, its garbage. Go kenwood,eclipse, pioneer, or somen along those lines if ur looking for good quality stuff.

paragraphs and punctuation are our friend lol

decks - ones that cost 150 can push 18-20...provided you get a name deck like alpine, pioneer or eclipse. preferably pioneer.

as for installing decks - verrrrrry simple, provided your car still has the stock harness....just buy the harness adaptor....pull old deck out, put in new deck, swap speakers, and away you go.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:39 AM   #10
sandlercd_22
CF Enthusiast

Alpines my personal favorite.
sandlercd_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:41 AM   #11
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlercd_22
Alpines my personal favorite.

for what...decks and speakers? they do make good decks and decent speakers. I just prefer the Pioneer decks myself.

as for the subs - stay the hell away from the S series! I blew two of them in three weeks, and they were underpowered
Old 08-23-2005, 04:46 AM   #12
sandlercd_22
CF Enthusiast

Speakers. My personal fav of decks is Pioneer Ive had one in my car for....had to be 15 years n it still works like new....minus the fact that i cant turn the damn thing down
sandlercd_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 08:39 AM   #13
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!

sony sucks hot sticky ball sack, MY DAD blew his 6.5" in 9 days, and he done'st even listen that loud.
Stem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:04 PM   #14
Fgreco
CF Enthusiast

Thanks I am not sure what you mean by decks are you talking about the reciever. I am sure I know what your talking about but, I just want to make sure. thaknks oh I dont have 6x9's I have 6x8's and 5x7's will also fit.

Dont I need to know what wire is positive and negative to match the speakers up right. Oh yeah and my mystique had power locks windows etc. would I mess that up if I take the door paneling off. The darn speakers are in the damn doors lol.

Last edited by Fgreco : 08-23-2005 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:33 AM   #15
nushaganazad
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fgreco
Thanks I am not sure what you mean by decks are you talking about the reciever. I am sure I know what your talking about but, I just want to make sure. thaknks oh I dont have 6x9's I have 6x8's and 5x7's will also fit.

Dont I need to know what wire is positive and negative to match the speakers up right. Oh yeah and my mystique had power locks windows etc. would I mess that up if I take the door paneling off. The darn speakers are in the damn doors lol.
as long as you disconnect everyhting fine it will be ok. lol. But as far as speakers go, look at cdt, dls, pioneers(decent) rainbow faucet, eclipse, focal, jl audio, mb quart, infinity perfects, polk is ok. But for Head units, look at eclipse, alpine, clarion, nakamichi, those are prolly the best in the world as far as middle range head unit pricing goes, pioneer and kenwood are about on the same level, i think kenwood has a heads up in this, but niether of these companies can touch the ones listed above, problem with clarion though is it has one fo the worst customer support of any corporation. But unfortunently, most head units will only push 7-10 watts rms to each speaker even though they will say 22 tiems 4 rms, there retail division made that one up, they mean 22 watts rms divided up by each speaker, usually if you upgrade speakers you willneed to upgrade to an amp as well becasue most likely the sensitivity wont be very great with this power becasue of inefficiency. Pioneer has a problem with overrating there head units like this as well, not to mention the THD factors, WOW! thats a horrible story lol
nushaganazad is offline   Reply With Quote