Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
dreambig73
CF Newbie

New guy question

I am new to this forum and have a question for you all: Does anyone know of a website where I can get a good, unbiased review (good and bad) on K&N or other similar air filter systems? I have to write a report for a class and it seems like most sites that do a review have some bias toward the product. Some even go so far as to advertise the product they are "reviewing". I need some objective viewpoints for my report. Please help.
dreambig73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambig73
I am new to this forum and have a question for you all: Does anyone know of a website where I can get a good, unbiased review (good and bad) on K&N or other similar air filter systems? I have to write a report for a class and it seems like most sites that do a review have some bias toward the product. Some even go so far as to advertise the product they are "reviewing". I need some objective viewpoints for my report. Please help.
Why not ask us? unles you need figures I guess, lol. Even so, we can help you out! I have no time for the system myself. Are you wanting info on K&N only, or Cold Air Intakes in general?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:58 PM   #3
dreambig73
CF Newbie

I need info on cold air intakes in general. Pros, cons, potential problems, real data on horsepower (not inflated numbers or ads). The report I'm doing is kind of a project to educate a "customer" in your shop and either recommend a cold air intake or talk them out of it. Besides websites, personal experiences would also come in handy. Thanx.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:40 PM   #4
Inygknok
El del Supra

i can give u testimonies of people here in Puerto Rico. so i guess u could write about the effects on a tropical island or environment.

so far, i have seen 4 ACTUAL cases where people go through areas that are a bit flooded and their intakes actually suck in some water and their cars just completely break down (obviously). have heard about 5 others (but havent seen them in person). from wat they say and believe they felt, the CAI's apparently gave him some extra power that the normal intakes didnt, but that it wasnt a HUGE difference.... but something noticeable.

i only got to compare 2 different cars personally, one being a honda civic (96 i think) and a mitsubishi mirage (2000). the difference, aside from the sound, was somewhat noticeable, but not worth it, IMO. for the extra money, labor, wasted space, and possible dangers (specially here in the tropics), i would just stick to the regular filtesr.

the one thing they all seem to like is the different sound it makes..... i agree, it is different, but i really didnt care. they said that the car ran cooler.... sure, the air sucked in is generally cooler, but the tubing will still get heated unless its covered with that heat wrap stuff (which about 85% dont do). else, its really working just as a regular filter.... with the ability to scoop up crap and debris on the road. noticeable temperature on the guagues? none, unless someone gets me one of those high tech NASA gauges.

so there's your opinion, facts, and history of results here in Puerto Rico. hope it helps.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:56 AM   #5
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambig73
I need info on cold air intakes in general. Pros, cons, potential problems, real data on horsepower (not inflated numbers or ads). The report I'm doing is kind of a project to educate a "customer" in your shop and either recommend a cold air intake or talk them out of it. Besides websites, personal experiences would also come in handy. Thanx.

Well I actually have all the instruments to check air flows and pressure drops and I have yet to find any appreciable difference between the OEM filters and the Pods. A typical test of the pressure drop across a paper filter yields about a 0.05% loss in manifold vacuum compared to no filter at all.

On several occasions we have found that the paper panel filter with a larger intake hole cut in the box performs better for turbo cars than the pod. This is due to the cushioning effect on air, making the air stream less turbulant before hitting the compressor inducer.

A valid point that VWHobo raised was that the recurriing cost of replacement paper media filters was uneconomical compared to servicing a Pod...

With the induction pipe, the obvious considerations of length, diameter, rolled eversee and position will have some effect.

Ram air systems are bordering on a con as the stagnation pressure of the air at typical vehicle speeds is very very minor.

This site has some info that might be a bonus:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Last edited by Wally : 12-13-2006 at 12:59 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
dreambig73
CF Newbie

Thanks for the posts. The website wally put up was very informative. Just what I was looking for as far as filtration/airflow. I will do some more surfing to try and find some real dyno numbers. I have read in some sites that the HP gains with most cold air intakes are negligable (sp.) at best, zero at the worst. However, for high output racing engines the gains would probably make more of a difference than your average stock daily driver. Of course, then there is the issue of maintanence. Most people go over the mileage for oil changes and don't even get me started on other service intervals (coolant, tranny, etc.) I can just imagine a lot of people probably buy these things and don't service them according to the manufacturer's specs because they are kind of a pain to service. Again, thanks and I will be visiting this site regularly!