Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2004, 11:02 PM   #1
zipper
CF Newbie

Mustang 2006 Northstar Engine

The 2005 Mustang uses a 4.0L 6V engine but I read somewhere they are getting rid of the 4.0L and replacing it with a new 4.5L Northstar engine for the 2006 Mustang models. Anyone know more about this?

Last edited by zipper : 07-06-2004 at 02:42 PM.
zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:29 AM   #2
moostang104314
the guy you wish you were

What are you talking about?

First of all, the 2005 Mustang is going to have a 4.0 litre V6 not a 3.0. (Maybe it was a typo...) Secondly, why would Ford use an engine from Cadillac? And Lastly, the V6 used by Cadillac is a 3.6 litre and NOT a Northstar! Only the 4.6 litre V8 is a Northstar. Whoever told you that must've been half asleep because I've never heard any of that!
Old 07-06-2004, 03:53 AM   #3
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper
The 2005 Mustang uses a 3.0L 6V Northstar engine but I read somewhere they are getting rid of the 3.0L and replacing it with a new 3.5L Northstar engine for the 2006 Mustang models. Anyone know more about this?

Good job on being wrong in everything you just said...what a car NOOB!
I could tell you that I had a V-16 tri-turbo, twin supercharged Volkswagen GTi and you'd probably believe me! If you aren't knowledgible on the matter of automobiles, you should ask questions instead of making an ass of yourself...good work.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 07:42 AM   #4
Inygknok
El del Supra

to think he has such a nice stang in his sig......

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 02:40 PM   #5
zipper
CF Newbie

This was definately on a car magazine. I forget which one, I think Road and Track. I just don't remember what exactly it said. Maybe I read it wrong. I'll try to find that article again. Sorry about the bad info's, I just wrote it off my head and I had the numbers screwed up. Sorry Sick88TBird, I will be more KNOWLEDGEABLE.

Last edited by zipper : 07-06-2004 at 02:47 PM.
zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:03 PM   #6
Sick88Tbird

Quote:
4.5L Northstar engine for the 2006 Mustang

first of all, ford will never use a "Northstar" engine because they're cadillac engines. second...why would ford put a 4.5L V-6 in the stangs when 4.6L V-8's are going to be used in the GT models....doesn't make much sense. I guess they won't have an "econo" model? yeah right. The 4.0L is here to stay...regardless of what variation it will be. Starting with the '05 models ford will be using a new 3-valve cylinder head on the 4.6's which bumps up standard hp to about 300 ponies. If ford were using 5.4's in the new stangs then I'd say it may be a possibility that they were considering a pumped up version of the 4.0L but neither of those things are happening. Don't always go by what a 2-yr old mag has to say. Car and Driver as well as Road and Track usually publish rumors as opposed to waiting for a press release from auto makers. These magazines also have a tendency to publish pics and specs from concept cars which often change greatly before going into production.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:09 PM   #7
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
first of all, ford will never use a "Northstar" engine because they're cadillac engines. second...why would ford put a 4.5L V-6 in the stangs when 4.6L V-8's are going to be used in the GT models....doesn't make much sense. I guess they won't have an "econo" model? yeah right. The 4.0L is here to stay...regardless of what variation it will be. Starting with the '05 models ford will be using a new 3-valve cylinder head on the 4.6's which bumps up standard hp to about 300 ponies. If ford were using 5.4's in the new stangs then I'd say it may be a possibility that they were considering a pumped up version of the 4.0L but neither of those things are happening. Don't always go by what a 2-yr old mag has to say. Car and Driver as well as Road and Track usually publish rumors as opposed to waiting for a press release from auto makers. These magazines also have a tendency to publish pics and specs from concept cars which often change greatly before going into production.

Well you never know, GM bought a bunch of SOHC 3.5L V-6's from Honda to use in the Saturn Vue Redline (250hp..but the same engine goes up to 265hp in the Honda/Acura line). I hear GM can't get power out of thier sixes

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
inyourface
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper
The 2005 Mustang uses a 4.0L 6V engine but I read somewhere they are getting rid of the 4.0L and replacing it with a new 4.5L Northstar engine for the 2006 Mustang models. Anyone know more about this?

WOW! THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!! A NORTHSTAR ENGINE IN A MUSTANG!! WAIT, I KNOW SOMETHING BETTER!!! AN ELECTRIC CAR!!! For one, The Northstar is a 4.0L in the Olds and a 4.6L in the Caddy. Which brings me to my next point the Northstar is a GM engine. That makes no since for FORD to buy from GM!!!!! Good try on trying to start a conversation about cars though!
inyourface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:16 PM   #9
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by inyourface
WOW! THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!! A NORTHSTAR ENGINE IN A MUSTANG!! WAIT, I KNOW SOMETHING BETTER!!! AN ELECTRIC CAR!!! For one, The Northstar is a 4.0L in the Olds and a 4.6L in the Caddy. Which brings me to my next point the Northstar is a GM engine. That makes no since for FORD to buy from GM!!!!! Good try on trying to start a conversation about cars though!
Good job of reviving a dead thread
Old 09-21-2005, 05:02 AM   #10
Sick88Tbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Good job of reviving a dead thread

You took the words right out of my...well...keyboard?

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.