Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2004, 11:29 PM   #16
leo_fan
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiMan
CIVIC! Holy crud the CIVIC! American cars on average are not going to be as reliable and gas efficient and all. The Civic has Good crash reports... I would go with the Civic.

By the by... those that drive Focus's are not necessaraly cool. (It is a different model on the WRC... it is the Focus WRC... not a street-worthy car.)
Thx ~! I really like the focus which played in the WRC~!
leo_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 10:05 PM   #17
Accela
CF Newbie

TEST DRIVE BOTH OF THEM. You might find the answers you are looking for.
Both of them are Front wheel drive, so there is not much of difference in driving on snow. Good luch with your new car.
Accela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 10:40 PM   #18
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
As much as i like the Focus, I see a few generalized misconceptions goin into this conversation.

First off, small Japanese cars are as safe as any other. In fact, overall, I'd rate this particular comparison as going to the Civic in terms of passive safety. I also tend to agree on the reliability of the Civic over the early Focus in general, though there are numerous examples of the Focus that had all the recall work done and are as reliable as anything out there. The Focus drives better (front suspensioon about on par with the Civic's, but the rear suspension is better).

The Civic has a much larger aftermarket, but most of the stuff avaialble for it is tacky ricer crap. There IS good stuff, however, so it pays to go looking. the Zetec engine in the Focus was not developed with yamaha. That was the older SHO V6 and V8 in the Taurus SHO.

If this is only a temporary purchase until you can afford a "nicer" car, then remember the Civic holds its value better. But be aware that it's also more a target for thieves (especially in Canada, where car theft rates are much higher than in the USA)

Personally, I like the Focus better than that generation Civic. But I still like the '93-95 Civic coupe best of all the small coupes. To me it's just a very clean design with lots of potential.

^ ...what he said, although I'd point to the Civic before the Focus.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:01 PM   #19
cinqyg
CF Freak

I would go with the civic, with the euro version atleast the seats are less comfy in the focus than the civic.

The rear suspension of the focus is very similar to that of the triumph GT6 a transferse leaf spring type arangement. I was told that it has a problem when it has consistant bumps, it sets up a sway in the car because the suspention is not independent of one another, i am sure chris will disagree.

In refernce to the focus being cheap i think you have to look at it in terms of resale value, it might be cheaper in the short &medium term to buy the civic and you should get most of your money back, where as if your buying a car for ever then i guess the focus would be better.

You havce to factor reparis into the equation.

In terms of safty then for euro saftey then the civic and focus are both the same 4* with the civic geting 3*, 1 * more for pedestrian saftey.

The safest car is a safely driven car, if its a issue for you then it might be worth looking to whats avaible in terms of advanced driver training, there are schemes over her but i doubt they will in the usa.
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 05:11 AM   #20
leo_fan
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accela
TEST DRIVE BOTH OF THEM. You might find the answers you are looking for.
Both of them are Front wheel drive, so there is not much of difference in driving on snow. Good luch with your new car.
Thank you !
Old 06-18-2004, 05:14 AM   #21
leo_fan
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqyg
I would go with the civic, with the euro version atleast the seats are less comfy in the focus than the civic.

The rear suspension of the focus is very similar to that of the triumph GT6 a transferse leaf spring type arangement. I was told that it has a problem when it has consistant bumps, it sets up a sway in the car because the suspention is not independent of one another, i am sure chris will disagree.

In refernce to the focus being cheap i think you have to look at it in terms of resale value, it might be cheaper in the short &medium term to buy the civic and you should get most of your money back, where as if your buying a car for ever then i guess the focus would be better.

You havce to factor reparis into the equation.

In terms of safty then for euro saftey then the civic and focus are both the same 4* with the civic geting 3*, 1 * more for pedestrian saftey.

The safest car is a safely driven car, if its a issue for you then it might be worth looking to whats avaible in terms of advanced driver training, there are schemes over her but i doubt they will in the usa.
Yes, that's it. I'll think about it ! Thanks a lot!
Old 06-18-2004, 03:05 PM   #22
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

You got that right. I have to disagree. The Control Blade rear suspension is a multi-link, fully independant design, not a transverse leaf setup (the Corvette has that, and it works VERY well.)

Here's a picture. Do you SEE any transverse leaf spring? I see fully independant, COIL spring suspension with a large swaybar (for less understeer).

I don't know where you get your information, but you seem to get it wrong quite often.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 03:52 PM   #23
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
You got that right. I have to disagree. The Control Blade rear suspension is a multi-link, fully independant design, not a transverse leaf setup (the Corvette has that, and it works VERY well.)

Here's a picture. Do you SEE any transverse leaf spring? I see fully independant, COIL spring suspension with a large swaybar (for less understeer).

I don't know where you get your information, but you seem to get it wrong quite often.

ill trya nd find a pic of the one i looked at but didnt have out slung coils on like that.
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 04:27 PM   #24
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
ill trya nd find a pic of the one i looked at but didnt have out slung coils on like that.

You do that. The 3 door, 5 door, 4 door sedan AND wagon all use the same rear suspension. A quick check on Google shows all the spring kits for all Focus models, and they all seem to be coil springs like this.

http://www.google.com/search?q=ford+...8&start=0&sa=N

In fact, even the V8 conversion uses coil springs in the rear for the live axle...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote