Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2004, 07:00 PM   #16
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Guys, GM has no problem designing decent engines. In fact, teh Honda/GM deal was so that Honda could buy diesel engines from GM-owned Isuzu. Honda had been looking for diesel and large engines for a few years before inking the deal with GM.

So, as typical, the opinionated little boys on message boards go off on how GM can't make small engines, so have to get them from Honda.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:43 AM   #17
Rythim034
CF Newbie

Gm 3.4 Dohc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
To say that GM can't make decent hp out of their 6cyl's is total crap. 85-87 Grand Nationals and Regal T-Types for example. How about the Supercharged 3800 series??? Yeah I know, those are both examples of forced induction...but how about the 3.4DOHC? Not by any means a monster...but it still makes decent horsepower and responds quite well to mods. the 4.3 was also a good engine...again no power-monger but it was a 350 with the back 2 cylinders chopped off, good torque and decent hp. Now there is the 4.2 straight six...advertised 275hp. So, to say that GM can't make power out of their six cylinders isn't true. But, GM is searching for new alternatives and being as sales aren't very good right now(at least Chevy), it makes more sense for them to buy engines off someone else. By doing this, they save money on research and development of a new engine. It's a wise financial decision for GM, but it shows the public that all is not well.
I agree with you on this one , the 3.4 litre dohc that GM produced from 90 -97 was originally designed and qualified at 280 HP and about 285 ft/lbs torque , but GM in thier invinite wisdom couldn't come up with a FWD trany at the time to handle the power , so they did the unthinkable they de-tuned it . There are lots of guys who think this is a crap engine , mostly cause they blow them up by not changing the timing belt , but these engines , although being somewhat tempermental , where the proving ground for the entire "Northstar" series of engines .
And where built to be almost bullit proof , Read Forged Crank , Rods & "hemispherical " pistons , which means anyone with a tune computer and some very minor cams adjustments can get over 300 Hp and Torque out of it !!!!
I have one and have personal blown away a number of things like twin turbo stealths , Z-1 vettes , 911's (yes I said 911's) , etc , etc . Regards ARG

Last edited by Rythim034 : 12-09-2004 at 08:47 AM.
Rythim034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 06:53 PM   #18
Gothicaleigh
CF Newbie

GM LY7 V6
Used in the Cadillac CTS, STS (255hp), and SRX (260hp).

The initial offering is in the 3.6L displacement, though variants will be manufactured in 2.8L, 3.2L and 3.8L sizes. Power ranges from 200 to 370 hp, while torque runs from 200 lb-ft to more than 350 lb-ft. The 3.6L in the CTS and STS provides 255 hp and 250 lb-ft of torque. A lesser version will be made available to Buick.

- all-aluminum construction
- dual overhead camshafts (DOHC)
- 4-valves per cylinder
- roller-finger follower valvetrain
- continuously variable cam phasing
- electronic throttle control
- forged-steel crankshaft
- piston-cooling oil jets
- Oil Life System
- 32-bit microprocessor (a state-of-the-art 32-bit, 25 MHz microprocessor, the most powerful in use in the industry)
- coil-on-plug ignition
http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/ima...4e.html#story7

Potential?
Lund Performance engineering has supercharged a 3.2L V6 CTS to 1100hp and set the world land speed record for it's class at the Bonneville salt flats.

Don't say that GM can't build a world class V6...
Old 02-14-2005, 01:57 AM   #19
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Thank you for continuing to prove my point. GM can build power from their six cylinder engines, hands down.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:59 PM   #20
inyourface
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper
The 2005 Mustang uses a 4.0L 6V engine but I read somewhere they are getting rid of the 4.0L and replacing it with a new 4.5L Northstar engine for the 2006 Mustang models. Anyone know more about this?

WOW! THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!! A NORTHSTAR ENGINE IN A MUSTANG!! WAIT, I KNOW SOMETHING BETTER!!! AN ELECTRIC CAR!!! For one, The Northstar is a 4.0L in the Olds and a 4.6L in the Caddy. Which brings me to my next point the Northstar is a GM engine. That makes no since for FORD to buy from GM!!!!! Good try on trying to start a conversation about cars though!
inyourface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:16 PM   #21
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by inyourface
WOW! THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!! A NORTHSTAR ENGINE IN A MUSTANG!! WAIT, I KNOW SOMETHING BETTER!!! AN ELECTRIC CAR!!! For one, The Northstar is a 4.0L in the Olds and a 4.6L in the Caddy. Which brings me to my next point the Northstar is a GM engine. That makes no since for FORD to buy from GM!!!!! Good try on trying to start a conversation about cars though!
Good job of reviving a dead thread
Old 09-21-2005, 05:02 AM   #22
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Good job of reviving a dead thread

You took the words right out of my...well...keyboard?

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote