Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you want to have a CF member of the month system?
Yes, have it! 15 46.88%
No, dont have it! 17 53.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 01:09 AM   #61
JaneiR36
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoftheH
A MOTM sounds like fun. It could push more people to give their insight on cars, Is there a prize at all or can they just brag? I would love to be a judge but since I'm new round here I highly doubt it. So how about it?

(To the part in bold): Now this is true. And since anyone posting wrong information is immediately shouted down, the mere fact that a newbie is still helping others with his/her knowledge and is still respected by anyone should automatically mean something. This means, of course, that we can't have a bunch of n00bs in the committee, else the current "we hate ____" jerkwads of the month could quickly turn it all to crap.

I say we throw out more ideas for rewarding the MOTM (in addition to Ki2AY's). Some decent suggestions might convince more people to get on board.

The committee doesn't have to be in place before voting ends. If this passes, interested parties could iron it out after the fact. All you need now is an idea that makes sense to prospective voters
Old 11-24-2004, 06:54 AM   #62
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

i voted for yes... but i realize, who ever wins motm, it would only give them the idea that they can be cocky or cocky...er... and you know that theres a chance of flamewars probably devoloping from people who dont agree with the winner.
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

Old 11-24-2004, 03:09 PM   #63
JaneiR36
CF Freak

You may be on to something, mazdaman. How about, as a reward, we have it rigged, so that the MOTM "wins" any flame wars for let's say a week. That person gets the final word and whatever they say goes (non-technical, of course). Of course, I can already see a problem with this -- we can't force people to respect the MOTM, and even if we were interested in using member suspension to shut the other party up, we do not have admin priviledges to do so. But I still think it's a good idea. With editting by the mods or some kind of honor system, we may be able to get around that. There's of course also the issue of the very frustrating censorship, but we should be able to live with that... for a week, anyway
Old 11-24-2004, 03:23 PM   #64
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

i wish adam still showd up everynow and then... never see him any more... i remember, "back in the day" there was an actual reward for something... back when this forum was a young lass, there was a contest to see who could get to a 100 posts first. the prize was a $50 online giftcard to either buy.com or amazon.com... dont remember exactly... oh, and just for kicks, can you guys guess who won it? haha... anyways...nothing really comes from the MOTM, but i guess we could do it just for kicks... right?
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

Old 11-24-2004, 03:35 PM   #65
JaneiR36
CF Freak

Yes. And who knows, if we could resuscitate(sp) this place, perhaps Adam would actually show up once in a while and have something to do.

I read from one of the mods that he was here about a month ago. Figures. He probably has to check in occasionally to manage the banners so that the companies are not getting unpaid and indefinite advertizing............
Old 11-24-2004, 04:33 PM   #66
Bubba
null

We could allways try a MOTM system. And if it doesn't work and people flame each other and stuff like that... get rid of the system.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:33 PM   #67
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
Yes. And who knows, if we could resuscitate(sp) this place, perhaps Adam would actually show up once in a while and have something to do.

I read from one of the mods that he was here about a month ago. Figures. He probably has to check in occasionally to manage the banners so that the companies are not getting unpaid and indefinite advertizing............

If you feel like snooping in on him from time to time to see when he was last on, just look at his profile and it will say when he last logged on.

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/member.php?u=1
Old 11-24-2004, 04:49 PM   #68
JaneiR36
CF Freak

oh
Old 11-24-2004, 05:28 PM   #69
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba
We could allways try a MOTM system. And if it doesn't work and people flame each other and stuff like that... get rid of the system.

im with bubba... its worth a try, and what do we have to lose for?? we have nothing to lose. what, are we concern about more flame wars? heck* id rather give it a shot.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:27 PM   #70
JaneiR36
CF Freak

More on rewarding the MOTM. How about a sticky'd biography of sorts. It could be a short write-up about the person's history on CF. Outstanding help rendered, any major achievements since being on CF, a little on the person's love for and view of cars, and then maybe any additional hobbies and personal details they would like included. It could be like a short article, spliced with pics of the MOTM's favorite cars, current car, mods, etc. Do we have any writers on here?

Back to the issue of voting for the MOTM. I just realized, if we have everyone vote for him/her, it won't be a surprise when the winner is announced. It would also be more of a popularity contest. I say we put a lot of thought into selecting the MOTM board (which is not set in stone as of yet), and go from there.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:15 PM   #71
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Great. A damn popularity contest. More proof that we haven't left high school here, have we?

I voted no, and the reasons have already been adequately covered here.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 11-24-2004, 09:42 PM   #72
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

i have a solution.. people that disagrees with the idea will never be voted MOTM. and as for the rest of us so high schoolers, we'll have our lil teeny booper popularity contest. that way both sides will win.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:34 PM   #73
JaneiR36
CF Freak

ChrisV, it sucks that we lost your vote, so to speak. However (and totally after the fact, of course), does any kind of recognition, no matter how its done, have to be just a popularity contest? Throughout life, people are given recognition and awards for their accomplishments and their contribution to their communities. Although it does in fact involve popularizing the awardee, it usually can be very tasteful when done appropriately. Is there any circumstance under which you could see this as more than a popularity contest?
Old 11-24-2004, 10:45 PM   #74
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki2AY
i have a solution.. people that disagrees with the idea will never be voted MOTM. and as for the rest of us so high schoolers, we'll have our lil teeny booper popularity contest. that way both sides will win.
That would be the reason that hobo is making the point of bias... I would head the commitee if MOTM wins after the vote, etc, if you all want... I think we should get the votes done with and then think about the board...

Old 11-27-2004, 05:43 PM   #75
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Well... the poll is closed and MOTM for CF is not going to be done. I ask that all board members remove any Board tags, etc. because it didnt pass. I said I would drop it so I will. Thanks for trying!

Closed Thread