Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #16
TheFieroKid
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
And why does it surprise you? Got something against Mustangs? Lol j.k My favorite as stated before is the 1969 Shelby GT500

Well the mustang has never been one of my favs and on top of that you see how many people are saying the mustang... well ive never been one to go with the crowed. Infact because so many people like it, makes me want to dislike it for that reason alone. Im not saying its not a nice car, or not fast or anything like that... just styling isnt me.
__________________
TheFieroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:18 PM   #17
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFieroKid
Infact because so many people like it, makes me want to dislike it for that reason alone.


Sorry, but that sort of attitude is lame, and not just about cars. You can LIKE a car and not want it, due to being too popular. I understand that completely. But DISLIKING something specifically due to others LIKING it really is ignoring the merits of the thing itself. That's mno better than liking it BECAUSE it's popular.

Now to answer your first question, when I think classics, I think more than just musclecars, too.

My #1 favorite is the original Ford GT40 Mk 1, followed by the '63 Ferrari 250 Lusso, '66 Lamborghini Miura, and '37 Talbot Lago T150C.

For affordable classics, the BMW 6 series from the '70s ranks right up there, as well. But I love so many cars...
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:45 PM   #18
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFieroKid
Well the mustang has never been one of my favs and on top of that you see how many people are saying the mustang... well ive never been one to go with the crowed. Infact because so many people like it, makes me want to dislike it for that reason alone. Im not saying its not a nice car, or not fast or anything like that... just styling isnt me.

I must admit I get a bit fed up reading cliched posts from young members on various forum boards about CarX being "badass" or "rad" or "wicked" or "legend". For instance the preoccupation with the poor handling '67 'Eleanor' line of body roll mustangs. Sure some of the cars are handsome, but many of them just aren't suitable for a pleasurable drive after the initial thrill has subsided. To me it's like the constant reminder of how good, piss weak actors like Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Marlon Brando, etc were.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:36 PM   #19
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekWarrior
Everytime someone says classic car I always think of mustangs.
And everybody seems to be thinking "muscle" instead of "classic". Ok, with the exception of the T-bird....

Now I may be stretching the definition a bit but to me a good classic would be something like a nice Duesenberg.....



Yeah, now that's classic. (to me)

.
__________________


Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.

Last edited by theman352001 : 01-13-2006 at 11:42 PM.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:44 PM   #20
TheFieroKid
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
weak actors like Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Marlon Brando, etc were.
Ok, i never liked marilyn as an actress... and james dean I can take or leave... but Marlon Brando? come on! On the River Front is one of the best movies ever made.
__________________
TheFieroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:48 PM   #21
TheFieroKid
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Sorry, but that sort of attitude is lame, and not just about cars. You can LIKE a car and not want it, due to being too popular. I understand that completely. But DISLIKING something specifically due to others LIKING it really is ignoring the merits of the thing itself. That's mno better than liking it BECAUSE it's popular.

F that dude, I don’t like the mustang... period, it doesn’t matter what reason I give for it... if I don’t like it I see no merits in it... Why is that so hard for you to get?

STOP trying to make me like every thing, or give props to the stuff I dislike... cause it isn’t going to happen!
__________________
TheFieroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:56 PM   #22
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer
 
car_crazy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,849
Well I also love the 1959 Impala

Impala

Any 50's or early 60's Cadillacs (more hearse or 2 door, but the 4 doors are nice too)

Cadillac (easier then finding 50's/60's pics)
1961 Hearse

Any old Thunderbird

Thunderbird History

There's many others (as I like pretty much anything really).
__________________

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"

Last edited by car_crazy89 : 01-14-2006 at 12:02 AM.
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 01:21 AM   #23
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFieroKid
F that dude, I donít like the mustang... period, it doesnít matter what reason I give for it... if I donít like it I see no merits in it... Why is that so hard for you to get?

STOP trying to make me like every thing, or give props to the stuff I dislike... cause it isnít going to happen!

WTF? I even said you didn't have to like it, just use an damn intellignet reason for it. Or there's no reason to respect what you have to say.


Why is it that you think that closing your mind up tight is a GOOD thing and a valuable goal? If you can't see that disliking somthing that you would otherwise think is good, simply because someone LESE likes it is lame, then your mentally challenged. Why is it a valuable goal to you to hate things for NO reason? Why should ANYONE respect that?

Oh, wait, I forgot YOU can have any opinion YOU want, but no one can call you on your retarded reasonong. Because as you said, it's more important to NOT have a reason for anything you do or think.

__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 01:31 AM   #24
adamc44
CF Freak
 
adamc44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: west portsmouth ohio
Posts: 775
i like the full size mid seventies gms.
__________________
AMERICA: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:53 AM   #25
TheFieroKid
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
...
Why do I have to have a reason for not liking something? Perhaps it just rubs me the wrong way? You have no right requiring this shit from someone just because they don’t like something... You really need to get over your self, dude its a ****ing car forum people are going to dislike things and like other things, you cant control every thing!

Seriously realize that and you’ll be a much happier person...
Not everything in life has to be a learning experience... shut off the brain and let things go... life is too short for this kind of banter on a daily bases... which is what your making it.

Sure the SUV thread was fun the first time around... but now its just redundant... How long are you going to beat the dead horse before you realize its not getting up?

I’ve met more then my fair share of your type of people in my life, always have to be right, cant accept that others are going to disagree with you for no apparent reason, get over zealous in an argument and start the name calling… you guys are a dime a dozen.
I have no respect for you or your thoughts after the way you’ve come after me and the name-calling… I would not believe a word you said ever if your tongue came notarized… any person who will speak to another person in such a demeaning way deserves no respect from any one… let alone the one he’s trying to convince of his side.

Seriously now its time to give up this battle with me and move on... you aren’t going to win (I refuse to fight any longer) and your just going to start embarrassing your self when you lose self control again.
__________________

Last edited by TheFieroKid : 01-14-2006 at 03:55 AM.
TheFieroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 04:45 AM   #26
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
WTF? I even said you didn't have to like it, just use an damn intellignet reason for it. Or there's no reason to respect what you have to say.


Why is it that you think that closing your mind up tight is a GOOD thing and a valuable goal? If you can't see that disliking somthing that you would otherwise think is good, simply because someone LESE likes it is lame, then your mentally challenged. Why is it a valuable goal to you to hate things for NO reason? Why should ANYONE respect that?

Oh, wait, I forgot YOU can have any opinion YOU want, but no one can call you on your retarded reasonong. Because as you said, it's more important to NOT have a reason for anything you do or think.


Exactly. I used to nto like Mustangs when I was 13 yrs old because ssooo many people had them around me. but I grew out of that quickly, seems I was one of the few though.
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:00 AM   #27
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise
 
Godlaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffin Type R
I okay i guess i gotta do the votin' for Chevy.

I got your back (and welcome back, by the way).

1968 Chevrolet Corvette L88

__________________
I am everything you want to be
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:20 AM   #28
pik_d
CF not-so-Freak
 
pik_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFieroKid
Why do I have to have a reason for not liking something? Perhaps it just rubs me the wrong way?
that's fine, but that's also not what you said in your other post. you said "Infact because so many people like it, makes me want to dislike it for that reason alone."
Quote:
You have no right requiring this shit from someone just because they donít like something... You really need to get over your self, dude its a ****ing car forum people are going to dislike things and like other things, you cant control every thing!
you are so set in your ways that you dont even realize what he's saying. he is NOT saying that you have to like it. he's saying your reason is illogical, which i agree with.
Quote:
Seriously realize that and youíll be a much happier person...
Not everything in life has to be a learning experience... shut off the brain and let things go... life is too short for this kind of banter on a daily bases... which is what your making it.
life is too short to worry about pointing things out when you see a flaw in the way people think? in that same thread of logic, life is too short to worry about what people drive... right?
Quote:
Sure the SUV thread was fun the first time around... but now its just redundant... How long are you going to beat the dead horse before you realize its not getting up?
i'd say about the same amount of time as you spend telling him that you dont want him to try to chang your mind
Quote:
Iíve met more then my fair share of your type of people in my life, always have to be right, cant accept that others are going to disagree with you for no apparent reason, get over zealous in an argument and start the name callingÖ you guys are a dime a dozen.
what about the dime-a-dozen type that get set in their ways and refuse to admit that MAYBE someone they dont know can be right about something, and refuse to open their minds to outside sources of experience? what about the dime-a-dozen that try and end an argument by saying "i refuse to argue anymore, so that mean's i'm a bigger man then you"?
Quote:
I have no respect for you or your thoughts after the way youíve come after me and the name-callingÖ I would not believe a word you said ever if your tongue came notarizedÖ any person who will speak to another person in such a demeaning way deserves no respect from any oneÖ let alone the one heís trying to convince of his side.
yea... because the fact that he called you names (while i fail to see the justification in doing so) means that all his facts are wrong... way to go using logical reasoning there...
Quote:
Seriously now its time to give up this battle with me and move on... you arenít going to win (I refuse to fight any longer) and your just going to start embarrassing your self when you lose self control again.
seriously now, it's time to stop refusing to listen to experience that contradicts your own, and your "independent sources". there might be somethin in it... and you're only embarassing yourself by being this much of a brick wall.
__________________
-two great sources to combat ignorance-
google
wikipedia
pik_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 01:09 PM   #29
TheFieroKid
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by pik_d
that's fine, but that's also not what you said in your other post. you said "Infact because so many people like it, makes me want to dislike it for that reason alone."
The point is I don’t have to have a reason for not liking something, opinions don’t have to be fact based. I said perhaps it rubs me the wrong way as an example of a reason that cant have any logical base to it… because it doesn’t have too… and that needs to stop being required of us to have an opinion.


Quote:
you are so set in your ways that you dont even realize what he's saying. he is NOT saying that you have to like it. he's saying your reason is illogical, which i agree with.
Of course you agree with him...what a fing surprise.
No he’s saying I have to give a reason for not liking something, there doesn’t have to be a logical reason for liking anything.


Quote:
life is too short to worry about pointing things out when you see a flaw in the way people think? in that same thread of logic, life is too short to worry about what people drive... right?
No life is too short to argue till your blue in the face. Which is why I’d like to stop… I have other things in life to worry about other then if you believe me.

Quote:
i'd say about the same amount of time as you spend telling him that you dont want him to try to chang your mind
True

Quote:
what about the dime-a-dozen type that get set in their ways and refuse to admit that MAYBE someone they dont know can be right about something, and refuse to open their minds to outside sources of experience? what about the dime-a-dozen that try and end an argument by saying "i refuse to argue anymore, so that mean's i'm a bigger man then you"?
Whatever happened to live and let live?
I am willing to hear from other out side sources... but I don’t know him from Adam, and I don’t trust any one I meet on the net... when some one I know I real life offers me the same evidence I may give it a 2nd and closer look, but just because I’m willing to look doesn’t mean ill change my mind, and open mind is one simply willing to look at the other side.
Id say we are more like a quarter a dozen...


Quote:
yea... because the fact that he called you names (while i fail to see the justification in doing so) means that all his facts are wrong... way to go using logical reasoning there...
Name-calling is the lowest form of arguing and by resorting to it he’s demonstrated the futility of his argument. If he feels all he has left are insults to relay on how trustworthy can is "facts" really be? Plus he gives me no reason to want to learn when he starts the name-calling.

Quote:
seriously now, it's time to stop refusing to listen to experience that contradicts your own, and your "independent sources". there might be somethin in it... and you're only embarassing yourself by being this much of a brick wall.
And its time for you to do the same. All I’ve seen you do is defend chrsv at every turn... never once did you even began to sway in your argument which says to me your being as big a brick wall as him or I.

The basic fact that SUVs are taller and heaver make them more dangerous, no matter if empirical data that sports cars roll more then SUVs (which I fail to see how as they are lower to the ground, have stiffer suspension and less body roll, except in extreme situations, SUVs are known to roll in basic defensive driving maneuvers). This is basic knowledge, they are heaver and taller which is why so many people buy them... So if I’m the close minded one why have you failed to recognize the inherent danger of something tall and heavy hitting something small and light? Seems to me an open mind would be willing to accept that.
__________________
TheFieroKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:00 AM   #30
Aondor
CF Addict
 
Aondor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 452
Javelin

I like Mercury Cyclone or The Amc Javelin with the 401
The javelin is hands down the sexiest classic car
Aondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.