Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2004, 10:01 PM   #16
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlicensed
so is kia just the american name for hyundai? if so I'd tell ya go and get one.

Hyundai take most of there underpinnings and running gear from mitsubishi.
I was given a lantra gls a couple years back for a tempory drive car from work, I tried to give it death so i could get the merc instead the next week. After 2 days of driving the lantra though i didn't want the merc. I swear I couldn't shake the thing off the road. i got a real windy route back home when i want to take it, I didn't believe that thing was fwd and only 2.0lt. It cornered like a 4wd on y rated rubber!!!

I wouldn't buy one, but i would if i was after a decent first car!

thee diffrent companies hyundia's are baisally 90's GM cars.
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:02 PM   #17
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRusky
I just finished doing some research on the kia and poeple are saying some scary things like they needed a tranny after 4000 mile and 1 guys had his engine replaced 3 times and the engine light still keeps coming on now and then and antoher guys said thank god for the warranty cause its a peice of junk. now here my dilemna im buying my car from ebay does it still come with a warranty after that or am i gonna get real screwed?!?

you can hear bad things about alot of cars, there are always lemons out there but thats just a thing you ahev acept about buying any car.
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:53 AM   #18
Unlicensed
CF Enthusiast

yup! i gotta agree with cinqy on that one. I heard of a customer up the road who had 2 engines in his M3 in the first year there are stories of every car company mucking up here and there. there's no sub for just regular services and looking after your car.

Unlicensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 04:38 PM   #19
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
I just finished doing some research on the kia and poeple are saying some scary things like they needed a tranny after 4000 mile and 1 guys had his engine replaced 3 times and the engine light still keeps coming on now and then and antoher guys said thank god for the warranty cause its a peice of junk. now here my dilemna im buying my car from ebay does it still come with a warranty after that or am i gonna get real screwed?!?

im not a fan of ebay, i would rather try and go to a dealer.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 08:29 PM   #20
CrazyRusky
Banned

Okay one more Question

what are your guys opinions on the lexus ES 300 beatiful looking car and not bad on reliability in my mind wondering what you would say to it. my mind has changed alot in the past couple of days but i dont wanna risk getting a kia with no warranty cause im not buying it new.
CrazyRusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 10:38 PM   #21
Patrick
CF Addict

Location: Louisville, KY. We don't wear shoes, and it would be a shame to see someone with a full set of teeth.
Red face

Quote:
what are your guys opinions on the lexus ES 300 beatiful looking car and not bad on reliability in my mind wondering what you would say to it. my mind has changed alot in the past couple of days but i dont wanna risk getting a kia with no warranty cause im not buying it new.

Honestly, Rusky, if you think about it, warranty or no warranty; if the car is a piece of crap, then it is a piece of crap. A car that's broken down constantly/needing new parts constantly defies the point of the automobile. Whether you have to foot the bill for it or not, the car is still going to be going into the shop. Money isn't the only commodity you should be trying to conserve- your time is valuable, too. Consider whether or not it is worth it to you to have a car for cheap if it is going to be spending just as much time in the shop as on the road. The Lexus you mentioned is a good bet. I heard on the radio yesterday that Lexus/Toyota in a new study has been shown to have the best long-term reliability of any car company. Anything from the Honda or Toyota families are going to be reliable, and true, you can't believe everything that you read, but I'd recommend you heed their warnings, should you be reading mass numbers of people saying the same bad things about a car. Kia does exactly what it is supposed to do- be bargain-basement transportation. Hyundai, their sister company, is now one of the most reliable companies out there. But the years from which you would be able to purchase (1993-1999), I wouldn't trust the Kia/Hyundai family any farther than I could throw it. DSMer was correct in saying that everyone has a Honda, but think- that's for a reason...

"Treat man as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he could be, and he will become what he should be." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"A man's health can be measured by which he takes two at a time-- pills or stairs." ~ Joan Welsh

Last edited by Patrick : 07-02-2004 at 10:41 PM.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 11:36 PM   #22
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

Quote:
the reason im asking about kia is because i can get a ralatively new car for about 4-5k and no matter how bad a car is mechanically it will atleast last for 3 years if it 2000+ or no? im jsut guessing cause cars usually wear down after 120k miles or so. im not sure if my information is correct, jsut going upon father and friends info.

in general now its down between a 97 honda or toyota or a 2000+ kia cause i saw a 2002 nice ass kia sell for 5.1k i mean thats a deal. but if its a death trap ill reconsider.

actually i dont think cars wears down around 120k miles.. im not sure about kia / hyundai tho... but im pretty sure kia / hyundai will last you more than 2-3 years, and im sure they wont wear down past 120k miles.. if you dont mind gettin a kia then go for it! i dont think it would be a bad decision.. and kia pretty much got my trust on reliability...

but if it was me, i would get a honda, only becuz i like the looks better than toyota's and hyundais.. no offense but hyundais look like they are cars for old grampa's. but thats jus the looks department.. if you dont mind that, and u think hyundai's look good.. then go for it!! it would probably be ur best choice. and yes, the price for hyundai cars arent so bad.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:39 PM   #23
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

Quote:

if you can afford a hyundai from a dealer wid ur money (like you claimed), just get one of the dealer.. no need to get one from a person u dont even know.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:44 PM   #24
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

Quote:

u mean is300? man thats my dream car.. althought it is well above ur price range.. u cant find one used for 4-5 g's lol/
Old 07-02-2004, 11:46 PM   #25
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki2AY
u mean is300? man thats my dream car.. althought it is well above ur price range.. u cant find one used for 4-5 g's lol/

I'm sure he means the ES300.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 03:20 AM   #26
Patrick
CF Addict

Location: Louisville, KY. We don't wear shoes, and it would be a shame to see someone with a full set of teeth.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
I'm sure he means the ES300.

::Laughs:: I enjoyed that, Bav.

EDIT- I realized that the URL I had put in was from a website that sold cars. I figured that the link would have been removed, so I'll just tell you about it. It's a 1994 Lexus ES300 for $4500. Well equipped, too- Leather, V6, Sunroof, alloy wheels, all that jazz. I'd much rather see anyone in that car than a Kia. Read my prior post.

"Treat man as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat a man as he could be, and he will become what he should be." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"A man's health can be measured by which he takes two at a time-- pills or stairs." ~ Joan Welsh

Last edited by Patrick : 07-03-2004 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Realized I had put in a URL that would have been removed anyway
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote