Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2005, 04:45 AM   #46
Xenom
CF Newbie

nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
NO THEY DONT. THEY DONT MAKE THEM WITH FOUR BANGERS THEY MADE THE WITH FOUR BANGERS. THE 05 MUSTANG HAS NO 4 cyl. nor the 04 or 03 or 02 or 01. A four banger mustang hasn't been out since the SVO. ARE YOU STUPID?

i dont believe that i am but you are allowed to think w/e you want i didnt say they are making them now im sorry if it seemed that way but they did which i believe is a mistake i do see the purpose for fuel economy but you dont have to get a mustang ford has other cars that have better fuel economy, im sorry if you are offended and not all mustangs are cheap but i have seen so many of them built to look fast but are just slow
Xenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:30 AM   #47
mustangmann
CF Newbie

Shelby Cobra
or
Ford GT
mustangmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:09 PM   #48
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenom
...i have seen so many of them built to look fast but are just slow
Like the one Frankie beat with a '03ish auto Accord.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:20 PM   #49
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenom
i dont believe that i am but you are allowed to think w/e you want i didnt say they are making them now im sorry if it seemed that way but they did which i believe is a mistake i do see the purpose for fuel economy but you dont have to get a mustang ford has other cars that have better fuel economy, im sorry if you are offended and not all mustangs are cheap but i have seen so many of them built to look fast but are just slow

The very first Mustangs had inline six cyl engines.(in fact, the original concept for the Mustang was a mid engine V4 sports car) The V8 wasn't added to the range for a few months after production started. It wasnt' supposed to be a muscle car, simply a sporty coupe. That's been it's success: having an econimical sporty coupe in teh lineup, as well as teh muscular performer. In fact, adding the 4 cyl version in '74 was one of the things that kept the car alive. GM did the same with the Camaro in '82.

Gives a sporty, low insurance platform that isn't a basic economy car.

Funny, anyone else makes a V6, RWD 2+2 sport coupe, and everyone is all over it as a great sports car. Ford does it with their sport coupe and it's insulted because there's a V8 version in the lineup. Any other sub $20k RWD V6 sport coupes on the market? Any other 215 hp RWD sport coupes under $20k on the market?

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:26 PM   #50
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

My favorites:

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-14-2005, 03:37 PM   #51
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
...In fact, adding the 4 cyl version in '74 was one of the things that kept the car alive. GM did the same with the Camaro in '82. ...
Well that's only true because of the "energy crisis". I guess that Ford kept them in there because they went slack(like many automakers) after the energy crisis. Maybe they thought they could just give 50% becuase their 50% then was better than what they could do during the "energy crisis", but I wasn't even a thought in my parent's mind then, so what do I know?

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:50 PM   #52
enzo#2
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
Are you talking to yourself?
take a guess.
enzo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 04:06 AM   #53
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
Funny, anyone else makes a V6, RWD 2+2 sport coupe, and everyone is all over it as a great sports car. Ford does it with their sport coupe and it's insulted because there's a V8 version in the lineup. Any other sub $20k RWD V6 sport coupes on the market? Any other 215 hp RWD sport coupes under $20k on the market?

I've noticed this behaviour also with the camaro, its sad
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:31 PM   #54
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
Well that's only true because of the "energy crisis". I guess that Ford kept them in there because they went slack(like many automakers) after the energy crisis. Maybe they thought they could just give 50% becuase their 50% then was better than what they could do during the "energy crisis", but I wasn't even a thought in my parent's mind then, so what do I know?

Actually, it's a common misconception that the Mustang II was introduced 9and had a 4 cyl) due to the energy crisis. In fact, it first hit dealerships in late '73 as a '74 model, just as teh energy crisis was starting to hit. But in order to do that, the tooling had to be finalized and created in '72 to get teh production line ready by mid '73 to start them rolling off th eassembly line. And in order to do that, the design had to be finalized by early '72. And in fact, design of the Mustang II was started in 1970, while the BOSS 302s and BOSS 429s were rolling through dealer showrooms!

The Mustang II was actually Ford trying to get the Mustang back to it's roots as an economical small sporty car, as it had grown much larger over the years. And truth be known, the insurance for the musclecars had gotten outrageous and was what really killed them off The 4 cyl 2.3 liter in the '74 Mustang II was actually as powerful as the 2.8 liter I6 in the '64 Mustang... by making the car a 4 cyl model to start with, Ford was able to make an end run around increasing insurance rates and made teh car affordable to everyone again. Of course, they added a V6 and V8 the following year, and while teh V8 was severely strangled in output for emisions and insurance reasons, it weas still a 302, which meant it had HUGE aftermarket potential.

But the fact that 4 cyl ones were made was advantageous for the car, and is the reason a small engine model will always be available in the Mustang line, keeping it alive for the performance versions.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-15-2005, 06:31 PM   #55
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

I actually like the Mustang II's and King Cobras ('77 or '78), even without great performance they are nice looking cars.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 08:59 PM   #56
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
I actually like the Mustang II's and King Cobras ('77 or '78), even without great performance they are nice looking cars.

Here's a nice one:

And here's a photoshop I did of a custom big block convertible...

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-15-2005, 09:18 PM   #57
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Here's a nice one:

And here's a photoshop I did of a custom big block convertible...

Man, i love what photoshop can do. That convertible pic is sweet. I was actually thinking of buying a Mustang II kinda like the first one you posted (same colours), i know where it is just never asked about it, mind changes about cars i want all the time.

http://www.bobbittville.com/MustangII-1978BryanWilson-FORSALE.jpg
Heres one i found on Google with custon front end and was for sale (might still be, who knows)

(i'll take that pic out soon, it is too big, i know)

Last edited by car_crazy89 : 07-15-2005 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:28 PM   #58
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

It's hard to tell when you look at the convertible, but there are a LOT more changes than first meet the eye. I wanted to fix some of the proportions I dont' like in the stock MII, the first being that there's too much metal above the wheelwell openings, so I raised the fender flare/wheelwell openings up on teh body. then, to keep the overhangs more classically styled, i moved the front wheelwell openings and front wheels the equivalent of 4" forward (which would lengthen the wheelbase, but improve the f/r weight distribution. I also moved the bumpers in so they didn't stick out very far and changed the grille and added a rear spoiler...

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-15-2005, 09:30 PM   #59
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Now, on that one for sale, those parts don't even fit together. I mean, I defend customizing here, but I have a hard time defending parts that physically don't even fit (like the grille and headlights... no attempt to make them fit the bodylines was attempted. They just filled and painted the gaps...)

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 07-15-2005, 09:35 PM   #60
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

I noticed some of that. I think you could make a good car designer, or maybe even just a custom car designer. Hard to believe how just a few changes in a pic can make that much of a difference (lose the top, add a spoiler and better wheels/tires and change grille).