Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2005, 04:05 AM   #31
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan_Altima
Wow! I've heard of these transmissions before, but never knew how much it worked or anything about it in detail. Is it rare or I'm just unfamiliar with it?

Also, for pure curiosity, what's the generalization on them? How often do they break down compared to regular automatic/manual transmissions? Because it sounds as if they are more comfortable than the regular transmissions.

Here's some information on them

HowStuffWorks
Old 11-30-2005, 04:20 AM   #32
Nissan_Altima
Biggest anti-post whore

Forgot about good old-fashioned howstuffworks.com I think I just learned a ton. Thanks Chris!

By the way, no offense Alex, but if I understood that correctly, Hobo is definetely correct. If a car only has one speed, it will never be able to drive in all conditions (either go slow only or go fast only and not be able to go up hills, etc). This transmission just makes the switch in between "gears" so smooth, that you don't notice.
Nissan_Altima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 04:29 AM   #33
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Forgot about good old-fashioned howstuffworks.com I think I just learned a ton. Thanks Chris!

By the way, no offense Alex, but if I understood that correctly, Hobo is definetely correct. If a car only has one speed, it will never be able to drive in all conditions (either go slow only or go fast only and not be able to go up hills, etc). This transmission just makes the switch in between "gears" so smooth, that you don't notice.
You're welcome. If you were actually reading the posts, you'd see I offered those links YESTERDAY.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 04:49 AM   #34
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:

CVTs are in a class of their own. I wouldn't even say that they "shift." They are truly fascinating however.