Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2006, 02:19 AM   #61
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97prelude
thank you

now i know the cold air intake helps horsepower gain by providing cooler denser air to the engine. Where would you put the air filter to provide the coolest air for the intake? Also, if you get turbo for a car, do you need to upgrade any of your engine parts?
You would put the CAI near the wheel well, or where maximum air flow can be achieved, the more air that can be drawn in the better

Depends on how much PSI you run on the turbo
Old 07-14-2006, 02:23 AM   #62
97prelude
CF Newbie

if i run it at a low psi to save my engine will it even be worth buying? I read another thread where somebody said 6-7 would blow an engine eventually.
97prelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:24 AM   #63
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
if i run it at a low psi to save my engine will it even be worth buying? I read another thread where somebody said 6-7 would blow an engine eventually.
6-7 is nothin, and yea it'll blow your engine if you have a POS with high miles lol
Old 07-14-2006, 02:27 AM   #64
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
6-7 is nothin, and yea it'll blow your engine if you have a POS with high miles lol
Interesting. How many H22's have you installed turbos on, what kind of pressure did you run and how long did they last?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:27 AM   #65
97prelude
CF Newbie

I thought that was bs, but then again if I run it that low will it even be worth installing? Basically what Im getting at is could I just install the turbo and leave my stock parts and still get noticeable gains.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:29 AM   #66
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Interesting. How many H22's have you installed turbos on, what kind of pressure did you run and how long did they last?
Ahh well let me just say none, ::sigh:: retracting previous statement and apologizing for assumptions without facts
Old 07-14-2006, 02:35 AM   #67
97prelude
CF Newbie

so wait, can I do it or not lol? now im confused.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:38 AM   #68
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I thought that was bs, but then again if I run it that low will it even be worth installing? Basically what Im getting at is could I just install the turbo and leave my stock parts and still get noticeable gains.
Before you waste anymore of your or our time talking about modifications, you need to ensure that the current powertrain is in absolutely impeccable condition. Modifying a turd does nothing but waste money. With a high mileage engine (a '97 Prelude probably has at least 100k miles on it) it's even more critical to do so, ESPECIALLY if you intend to install power adders such as a turbo. While you're at it, how's your brakes, suspension and steering?

Right now you should be talking about tune-up, fluids, brakes and suspension and making sure it's right. To do anything else is just ignorant.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 07-14-2006, 02:42 AM   #69
97prelude
CF Newbie

Ive already had everything checked. I just need a new second gear syncro. Im replacing the front left tire because I had it realligned because it was off the the left so the front left tire is worn. Otherwise the car is fine.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:51 AM   #70
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Ive already had everything checked. I just need a new second gear syncro. Im replacing the front left tire because I had it realligned because it was off the the left so the front left tire is worn. Otherwise the car is fine.
Oh, well, you've had it checked. Did they drop the pan to inspect the main and rod bearings along with micing out the crank? What were the results of the leak down test? When was the last time the timing and balancer belts were replaced. How are the bearings in the idler and tensioner pulleys? What kind of head gasket does it have? What kind of brake fluid are you running and when was it flushed and changed last, composite or MLS? What about the clutch fluid? What's the thickness of your rotors and how much life is left in the brake pads? What brand of pads? How much clamping force does your clutch have?

I'm sure since you "already had everything checked" you can answer all these questions. Heck, you should have a printout from the shop that "checked" the car that you can scan ans share with us. I'm looking forward to seeing it before I crash out tonight.

Old 07-14-2006, 02:54 AM   #71
97prelude
CF Newbie

yeah all that I know out of all of that was that the timing belt was changed 5 thousand miles ago. As was the clutch. Why would I know the rest? I dont do it myself I bring it to the mechanic thats close to my house. I had him check out the car before I bought it. I didnt ask him about what kind of break pads i was running? I just asked him if anything needed to be replaced and he told me I needed a 2cnd gear syncro and a reallignment. After the reallignment he told me to replace the front left tire. Ive done the allignment and I am waiting on the parts for the syncro. I still havent gotten the new tire either.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:00 AM   #72
97prelude
CF Newbie

and actually, although i know you were being sarcastic, I want to learn how to check that stuff on my own. Is it difficult to do?
Old 07-14-2006, 03:12 AM   #73
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
and actually, although i know you were being sarcastic, I want to learn how to check that stuff on my own. Is it difficult to do?
I was not being sarcastic, you just don't get it or want to get it. Those are things (and many more) that you need to know, especially if you're talking about power adders.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:14 AM   #74
97prelude
CF Newbie

Well how do I find those things out for myself than?
Old 07-14-2006, 03:18 AM   #75
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Well how do I find those things out for myself than?
Hmmm, let me think about that. The first step is right here.

It should be illegal for anyone to own a car without one. That will give you the basics to get you started. Over and out.