Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
RobynA
CF Newbie

Vibrating in a 1996 Sunfire GT

I had an increasing shaking/vibrating of my left front tire, that was getting worse the more I drove. My brother looked at it, and he replace the Control Arm Bushing. There is a part that runs from the bumper of the car, and bolts onto some other part underneath, basically as a bumper support. He couldnt get the one bolt off because it was rusted on, so he had to cut if off. He doesnt have a welder, so he just put the one bolt on, and said to take it to our friend and get it welded on. But, our friend is super busy with his business, and doesnt have time to do, and he told my brother to just take that part off for now, because its only the GT's, and it would be ok for awhile. The part that was only held on by one bolt had been causing a different kind of vibration when I drove, and I knew it had to be that part, because when I would change lanes, or go around bends, it would stop, so we assumed it was just that part bouncing because it wasnt attached properly. But now that we have taken it off, there is still a vibration going on on that side of the car, more like the tire, and we arent sure what it is. I am out of a job right now, and cant afford to take it to our mechanic to get it fixed. My brother knows how to change the parts and usually can diagnose it, but he is really busy with work too. So if anybody has any idea what could be wrong, your help would be really appreciated. I had the wheel bearing, and tie rods and stuff replaced 2 years ago, so I dont think its that. Thanks for your help
RobynA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynA
I had an increasing shaking/vibrating of my left front tire, that was getting worse the more I drove. My brother looked at it, and he replace the Control Arm Bushing. There is a part that runs from the bumper of the car, and bolts onto some other part underneath, basically as a bumper support. He couldnt get the one bolt off because it was rusted on, so he had to cut if off. He doesnt have a welder, so he just put the one bolt on, and said to take it to our friend and get it welded on. But, our friend is super busy with his business, and doesnt have time to do, and he told my brother to just take that part off for now, because its only the GT's, and it would be ok for awhile. The part that was only held on by one bolt had been causing a different kind of vibration when I drove, and I knew it had to be that part, because when I would change lanes, or go around bends, it would stop, so we assumed it was just that part bouncing because it wasnt attached properly. But now that we have taken it off, there is still a vibration going on on that side of the car, more like the tire, and we arent sure what it is. I am out of a job right now, and cant afford to take it to our mechanic to get it fixed. My brother knows how to change the parts and usually can diagnose it, but he is really busy with work too. So if anybody has any idea what could be wrong, your help would be really appreciated. I had the wheel bearing, and tie rods and stuff replaced 2 years ago, so I dont think its that. Thanks for your help

Get the wheels balanced. Its something you can't do at home.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:18 AM   #3
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Could be a broken belt in the tire.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
RobynA
CF Newbie

Got the problem fixed. My brother looked at my right side tire, and discovered it needed a new wheel bearing. No big deal, got a used one for 25 bucks. Thanks for the suggestions though!
RobynA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynA
Got the problem fixed. My brother looked at my right side tire, and discovered it needed a new wheel bearing. No big deal, got a used one for 25 bucks. Thanks for the suggestions though!

i was gunna take a few minutes to educate you on the stupidity of what you have posted here, but instead i got bitter and jaded, and i think im just going to call you an idiot, dont die on the highway and if you kill me because of your utter stupidity i will be super pissed
Old 02-23-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

especially since a new bearing/hub assembly is only about $50
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote