Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2006, 09:55 PM   #76
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdrickk
Hate to break it to you Newyorker but Synthetic oil in no way reduces your RPM's It reduces Friction, which allows the engine to move the pistons with less effort = less heat which can improve gas mileage. With regular oil the pistons are still being moved at the same pace, but it takes more work for the engine to do it......but its always the same rpm's no matter what the hell you put in to it.
So youre saying that with synthetic, the engine just works less to get the same power. So technically switching to synthetic should add a few horsepowr right?
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:00 PM   #77
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
So thats why my RPM dropped. At 60, they dont have to work as hard to produce and keep the speed, so they can work at a lower RPM and give the same power they would with conventional at a higher RPM. Make sense?

at 60 mph you have to have the engine rotate at w/e speed to keep you at 60 mph. It doesn't mean that it takes lower rpms it just means that its not working as hard to get the 60 at the same rpm's.

60 mph at X amount of rpm's with conventional= more work getting to 60
60 mph at the same X amount of rpm's with synthetic= less work getting to60

look my wording might not be correct maybe it is, but as everyone agrees there is no way in hell that you are going to drop in rpm's with only using oil hows that foot taste you idiot
Old 02-24-2006, 10:01 PM   #78
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

Quote:
So youre saying that with synthetic, the engine just works less to get the same power. So technically switching to synthetic should add a few horsepowr right?

it may not add hp, but it may release some original power that was being held back from conventional oil.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:06 PM   #79
Erdrickk
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimander13
it may not add hp, but it may release some original power that was being held back from conventional oil.

Thats right, I think I have seen a few Adds for different oils saying " Add this and release Lost Power due to friction Etc..."
Erdrickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:08 AM   #80
ride3k
CF Addict

Quote:

no no no no no

did you not read hobos post at all?

ill jus let hobo make fun of you but i have a question for hobo about my own logic:

ok, better oil = less friction on the pistons correct?

so, less fricton=less heat generated by one turn of the piston, on the engine block itself, not in the combust chamber

so now the piston is moving more freely, it requires less feul to do the same amount of work correct?

and since less feul is required, this gets you an imporvement of mpg

but, since no more real work is saved, jsut the work of less feul, you gain little to none hp or tourqe?

i dont no if it makes good sense, but thats what i think of, i see less friction = less power needed to move the piston, that power is generated by feul, so therefore less feul is needed to get the same movement of the piston?

add, critisize, correct, i just want to know for sure

My 3000GT SL

The Ever Resourceful hyundaguy once said "i had to make a bong out of a beer can, so yeah, "beer can/bong" would be the acceptable term used!"

once again, educating the young ones!
ride3k is offline   Reply With Quote