Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #16
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by whicky1978
It is saving me money, It would not be much if I didn't drive much, but since I put so many miles on my car, it ads up. If premium gas was 1 or 2 cents higher, I wouldn't be saving money. I pay two more dollars (about 10 gallons a week with premium), but I gain 28-31 mpg to 34-36 mph. I also notice a small, noticible improvement with premium gas in power.

Unless your car was designed to run on premium, you will not be gaining anything by using it. Period. Premium gas burns slower to reduce the effects of knocking for higher compression. Your car was not designed with the higher compression, so you are slowing the burning of fuel and ending up with more unburned fuel in the exhaust, possibly leading to earlier catalytic converter failure. And as for gaining power, you are expecting it to gain power so you think you feel it. The fact is, premium gas in a car not designed for it will reduce power due to that slower burn. At best, you are wasting the 20cents per gallon it costs over regular.

As for the speedometer, a larger analog sweep will make the speedometer more accurate in the middle of it's sweep, in general, like any analog gauge (most analog gauges are inaccurate at both ends of the sweep and only accurate in the middle).

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:21 PM   #17
whicky1978
CF Newbie

Premium gas provides more miles per gallon because it's denser. I go farther when I use premium. I used to use regular, and I experimented with premium and noticed a big difference. I did not expect to get more power either. When I first used it, I had no idea what would happen. In my old car, the fuel economy was worse with higher octane, so for a long time I thought the higher octane burned faster and had less fuel economy. Apparently, this was the case because the gas I used was enhanced with ethonol. However, I did notice more power with my 77 Dodge Aspen.

I posted my experience here, in another thread. Someone corrected me and so I went back and experimented with premium and I noticed a difference in how far I could go in a single tank of gas. I was no longer burning a quarter tank per day, but only a third of a tank. So I crunched the numbers to see which cost more per mile, and found that premium was cheaper by the mile. But only about .7 to 1.1 cents. But with all the miles I put on my car, the savings add up. Premium became the cheaper gas.

The fact that my car was design for regular does no automatically mean that I can't do better with premium. Furthermore, the experts claim that many people are wasting money on premium, not all people.
whicky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:23 PM   #18
whicky1978
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
What octane are we talking for premium? I'm betting 91 wouldn't be too bad, but if you're running 93 you're running too high an octane. There is no way a stock Hyundai is supposed to run on 93.

I am also quite skeptical about your mpg gains by using premium.

I run 93 all the time; I never see 91, and only sometimes see 92. I have run 89 a couple of times. I found the gains in mpg to be proportional to the gain in octane. It was a linear correlation.

I also find that the cheaper gas gets worse fuel economy; and this is proporitonal in price. So Wal-mart gas does actually save money.

Last edited by whicky1978 : 05-07-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:27 PM   #19
whicky1978
CF Newbie

Quote:
It is saving me money, It would not be much if I didn't drive much, but since I put so many miles on my car, it ads up. If premium gas was 1 or 2 cents higher, I wouldn't be saving money. I pay two more dollars (about 10 gallons a week with premium), but I gain 28-31 mpg to 34-36 mph. I also notice a small, noticible improvement with premium gas in power.

I did use premium in a rental, and got no improvement.

It's one cent per mile, not gallon. But there was more than a 20 cents difference between regular and premium, I would be breaking even or losing money.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:31 PM   #20
whicky1978
CF Newbie

BTW, on the interstate (speed limit 70), I only get 30 mpg (or so) with premium; on a slower highway (speed limit 55); which is what I mostly drive; I get the 34-36 mpg.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:56 PM   #21
whicky1978
CF Newbie

Last week, I drove about 417 miles and put about 13 gallons which averaged 34.63 mpg. I drive about 60 miles per day average. I used to drive 330 miles per week strictly to work, but now I have a fiancee.

I'm always due for an oil change. I need to use that oil that gets 5000 miles

BTW, what do the forked spark plugs do? I bought those because the autozone guy said they would save me gas and get me more power, but he didn't sound sure of himself. Best I can tell, they just last longer.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:58 PM   #22
True_Brit
Has a new job!

have you ever seen the........, it saves on all the posts that you could put in one, i was told that once, cant remember who though!!!

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:17 AM   #23
thefonz
CF Addict

Quote:
Premium gas provides more miles per gallon because it's denser. I go farther when I use premium. I used to use regular, and I experimented with premium and noticed a big difference. I did not expect to get more power either. When I first used it, I had no idea what would happen. In my old car, the fuel economy was worse with higher octane, so for a long time I thought the higher octane burned faster and had less fuel economy. Apparently, this was the case because the gas I used was enhanced with ethonol. However, I did notice more power with my 77 Dodge Aspen.

I posted my experience here, in another thread. Someone corrected me and so I went back and experimented with premium and I noticed a difference in how far I could go in a single tank of gas. I was no longer burning a quarter tank per day, but only a third of a tank. So I crunched the numbers to see which cost more per mile, and found that premium was cheaper by the mile. But only about .7 to 1.1 cents. But with all the miles I put on my car, the savings add up. Premium became the cheaper gas.

The fact that my car was design for regular does no automatically mean that I can't do better with premium. Furthermore, the experts claim that many people are wasting money on premium, not all people.

If you went from burning a quarter tank per day, to a third of a tank, well.....
one third is more than one quarter.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:33 AM   #24
whicky1978
CF Newbie

Anyways, I don't see the point in continuing a "yes it is/no its not" argument. So I'm going to the repair forum to ask about spark plugs.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:01 AM   #25
whicky1978
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz
If you went from burning a quarter tank per day, to a third of a tank, well.....
one third is more than one quarter.

I meant to say 1/6th ; or a third of half a tank, instead of a half of a half a tank. I can go six or seven days without gassing up instead of four to five days.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:45 AM   #26
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Premium gas provides more miles per gallon because it's denser.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't see what the hell density has to do with MPG. Liquid Mercury is quite dense, I doubt you'd see a MPG gain with it.

Quote:
You are correct. People who's cars were designed to run on premium are not wasting their money.

Quote:
I run 93 all the time
Although I don't have your car, I HIGHLY DOUBT that your improved performance and MPG are because of anything other than the weight reduction in your wallet. If your car got such a higher MPG on premium, don't you think Hyundai would have listed it to run on premium to jack up the MPG estimates and therefore sell more cars? Lots of buyers look at EPA MPG estimates, not as many think to look at what fuel it takes.

Even IF it did indeed give you more horsepower, there is no way you could actually FEEL it. It is in your head. I'm just ballparking, but in order to actually be able to feel a hp gain you'd need at least a 10% increase in power. I don't know how you messed up your results (MPG), but I'd bet the farm that those numbers are tainted.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:53 PM   #27
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Premium gas provides more miles per gallon because it's denser.

Give me the science on that. People that know gasoline and have been doing this for decades (like me) know you're full of crap.

Quote:
The fact that my car was design for regular does no automatically mean that I can't do better with premium.

Yes, it does. That's a fact, backed up by science. The science of WHY octane is higher in premium, and what increased octane does to the burn rate in fuel. PERIOD. Mods, can I call this guy a moron yet?

Quote:
Furthermore, the experts claim that many people are wasting money on premium, not all people.

You're one that's wasting money.

www.midatlantic7s.com

Last edited by ChrisV : 05-08-2007 at 06:48 PM.
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #28
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Brit
have you ever seen the........, it saves on all the posts that you could put in one, i was told that once, cant remember who though!!!
Yes, Edit is you friend, just like Google is......I can understand maybe one double-post but five of them is a bit much.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #29
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Yes, Edit is you friend, just like Google is......I can understand maybe one double-post but five of them is a bit much.
Yet you still didn't fix it...
Old 05-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #30
whicky1978
CF Newbie

Quote:
Even IF it did indeed give you more horsepower, there is no way you could actually FEEL it. It is in your head. I'm just ballparking, but in order to actually be able to feel a hp gain you'd need at least a 10% increase in power. I don't know how you messed up your results (MPG), but I'd bet the farm that those numbers are tainted.

The gas pedal is more sensitive--that is what I notice.

You all can say what you want, but at the end of the day, I get to drive my fuel efficient car with its fuel efficient gasoline--knowing that 93 octane cost me less per mile than 87 octane.