Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2005, 11:47 PM   #1
deranged
CF Newbie

My friend's 1974 Plymouth Duster

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

So a friend of mine was talking to his neighbor about a 1974 Plymouth Duster that he had but never used. It belonged to the guy's father, and after his death, my friend's neighbor got it. Only problem is: it hasn't been started in 18 years.

Now he's moving and it's fallen into my friend's hands. The body is in great shape (been in a garage for those 18 years, so just a lot of dust), but the engine doesn't look so hot, and it doesn't start

So my friend asks me if I want to help him fix it up. Neither of us have any experience. Do you think it's possible to fix it up again? How long will it take us?
deranged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:28 AM   #2
fc7gtx
CF Newbie

Quote:
Do you think it's possible to fix it up again? How long will it take us?

Sure it possible, all it takes is money and time. How long will it take depends on how much it needs to restore/fix it and what you want to do to fix it up. These cars are never really finished.....

Spark plugs/oil change and a little soap & water wouldn't take too long but most of these cars that have sat for awhile need a bit more then that. Good Luck!!!
fc7gtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:18 AM   #3
Snappydwp1
CF Newbie

Hi deranged. I owned the original little old lady's Duster about 10 years ago. It was a 73, baby blue with slant 6cly. Only had 13,000 miles on it when I bought it. Is your's a 6 or an 8?
Snappydwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 02:34 AM   #4
deranged
CF Newbie

Not mine, and I believe it's a 6
deranged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:14 PM   #5
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deranged
Not mine, and I believe it's a 6
Quote:
Do you think it's possible to fix it up again? How long will it take us?

If you can't tell a slant 6 from a v-8 then it'll take you forever.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:24 AM   #6
bobbert
CF Newbie

Quote:
Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

So a friend of mine was talking to his neighbor about a 1974 Plymouth Duster that he had but never used. It belonged to the guy's father, and after his death, my friend's neighbor got it. Only problem is: it hasn't been started in 18 years.

Now he's moving and it's fallen into my friend's hands. The body is in great shape (been in a garage for those 18 years, so just a lot of dust), but the engine doesn't look so hot, and it doesn't start

So my friend asks me if I want to help him fix it up. Neither of us have any experience. Do you think it's possible to fix it up again? How long will it take us?

I am this friend, it is a slant 6 engine that does not start. I'm asking if anyone knows what to start with whether it be the electrical system first, brakes, engine, or anything else.
bobbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:53 AM   #7
Wally
I Know More Than You

I think you may have some fun with rubber and cork seals.

Nice motor the slant six, we had them here for a while.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:01 AM   #8
DPelletier
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbert
I am this friend, it is a slant 6 engine that does not start. I'm asking if anyone knows what to start with whether it be the electrical system first, brakes, engine, or anything else.

1) Start by switching the battery to a fully charged unit from another car (or a new, charged battery)

2) see if the engine will crank over. If so, continue.

3) rig up a fuel line to a temporary container as the original gas tank will be full of rust and varnish at this point, which will require draining of the tank and possible tank refurbishment or replacement later.

4) pull a plug and see if you have spark when the motor is turning over, if you do....

5) pour some fuel in the carb and give it a shot.

If it won't turn over, check all the electrical connections between the battery, starter, solenoid, engine ground.

If it turns over, but has no spark, try checking and/or replacing plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotor.

If it turns over but won't start and it has spark, try a carb cleaner to remove varnish deposit.

If none of the above works, you will need to dismantle, clean, replace or refurbish various fuel and electrical components as necessary.

Good luck,

Dave
Old 04-13-2005, 01:17 AM   #9
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier
1) Start by switching the battery to a fully charged unit from another car (or a new, charged battery)

2) see if the engine will crank over. If so, continue.

3) rig up a fuel line to a temporary container as the original gas tank will be full of rust and varnish at this point, which will require draining of the tank and possible tank refurbishment or replacement later.

4) pull a plug and see if you have spark when the motor is turning over, if you do....

5) pour some fuel in the carb and give it a shot.

If it won't turn over, check all the electrical connections between the battery, starter, solenoid, engine ground.

If it turns over, but has no spark, try checking and/or replacing plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotor.

If it turns over but won't start and it has spark, try a carb cleaner to remove varnish deposit.

If none of the above works, you will need to dismantle, clean, replace or refurbish various fuel and electrical components as necessary.

Good luck,

Dave

step 6: give up completely and give me the car, i think it's probably hopeless...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:42 PM   #10
Speed Demon
CF Newbie

dont give up just save money and get a new motor
Speed Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:49 AM   #11
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Demon
dont give up just save money and get a new motor

shhhh.... i'm trying to get a free duster here...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote