Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2005, 03:15 PM   #16
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
I'm not sure if they do this where you are...but it may not be such a good idea to get a brand new car for a winter driver, because in many places where it frequently snows, often salt will be spread on the roads. That will corrode a car away in only a few years.

I wasn't planning on buying a brand new car for winter. I was just looking into FWDs with some "pop" to them, and was wondering what the fastest was. For some reason the SRT4 didn't even come to mind , even though I was looking into buying one last summer.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:49 PM   #17
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

The problem is that a FWD car with "some pop" will be as bad a winter car usually as a RWD car unless you use good winter tires. And if you use good winter tires, even a RWD car will be fine.

My SVT Contour had some "pop" to it, and was a fast, excellent handling performance sedan, one f the best handling FWD cars in the world. But it HATED winter and snow. No traction, slid instead of turning, and more. My RWD Jag XJ6, OTOH, had no problems in the snow even without ABS or winter tires.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 04:19 PM   #18
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Yeah...before the Accord I had a '98 Cadillac SLS and it actually did better in low traction situations than the Accord does...but that thing was a barge, so it's weight probably contributed to that.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:18 PM   #19
bigdaveangell
CF Addict

It would take many years for the salt to corode a car. If you live in a state that gets alot of snow just make sure you go through the car was a few times in the winter. Alot of places are starting to switch from salt to a chemical called mag chloide. I dont know if that better or worse for the cars
bigdaveangell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:14 PM   #20
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
Not the Cobalt SS.

I would say the Neon SRT-4, the Bonneville SSEi, the Grand Prix GTP, or the new Mitsubishi Eclipse.

The Accord 6spd V6 is faster than all of those except the SRT4.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:17 PM   #21
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
I am looking into winter cars and was wondering what the fastest production front wheel drive car is. I'm thinking along the lines of 0-60 or 1/4 mile. Not actual top speed. I doubt I have the cash for it (whatever it is) but I am just curious.

Some of the fastest FWD cars off the top of my head is...

Srt4 (high 13/low 14)
TL 6spd (low 14)
Six Speed V6 Accord HFP (low-mid 14)
The new Impala SS coming out (mid 14)
Altima/Maxima V6 (mid 14)

I'm sure there's plenty more in this range im currently not tihnking of.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:56 PM   #22
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

The SRT-4 is still crowned king of fastest FWD cars....In a straight that is. Take them to a road course and pretty soon their inside front tire will be a smoke bomb, and they will be looking at the back of an integra type R, mini cooper s or any number of other FWD handlers.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:07 AM   #23
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
The problem is that a FWD car with "some pop" will be as bad a winter car usually as a RWD car unless you use good winter tires. And if you use good winter tires, even a RWD car will be fine.

My SVT Contour had some "pop" to it, and was a fast, excellent handling performance sedan, one f the best handling FWD cars in the world. But it HATED winter and snow. No traction, slid instead of turning, and more. My RWD Jag XJ6, OTOH, had no problems in the snow even without ABS or winter tires.

I never would have guessed that. One of the cars I was considering was a Contour SVT. I live on a hill, and remember when I was younger and how my mom always got her mid 1980's Monte Carlo stuck in snow banks, and how my dads old Chevy van could never make it up the driveway if there was more that 5 inches of snow. Since my mom got a newer FWD Monte, that hasn't happened. My dad's 4cyl RWD Sonoma with cynder blocks in back to weigh it down and studded tires still has some trouble. I always just assumed that a FWD car was way better in the snow than a RWD.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:30 AM   #24
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Mazda is makin a smaller FWD version of the Miata, maybe it will be? Other wise yeah probably the SRT-4

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:24 AM   #25
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

IMO if youre going to get a car for winter, get an old Explorer or Bronco 4x4. Theyre great for winter. Same with older Blazers, and Dodge Powerwagons.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:31 AM   #26
Accord_Man
CF Addict

isn't there an RSX with like 220 hp stock in japan, i might have it mixed up with something else, but if so I bet its pretty fast, cause the type S's are fast too and they have 197 hp. EDIT i found it, its the honda integra type R that has 220, I'm not sure about the quater mile times for it though.

Accord_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #27
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
I never would have guessed that. One of the cars I was considering was a Contour SVT. I live on a hill, and remember when I was younger and how my mom always got her mid 1980's Monte Carlo stuck in snow banks, and how my dads old Chevy van could never make it up the driveway if there was more that 5 inches of snow. Since my mom got a newer FWD Monte, that hasn't happened. My dad's 4cyl RWD Sonoma with cynder blocks in back to weigh it down and studded tires still has some trouble. I always just assumed that a FWD car was way better in the snow than a RWD.

My wife;s underpowered FWD Beretta was great in the snow with winter tires. The SVT was not (too much power). This is what I drove everywhere in the snow...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2160003.JPG (61.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg jag_snow.jpg (77.3 KB, 8 views)

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 02:04 AM   #28
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
many years for salt to corrode a car you say. youve never seen a quebec car have you, or ontario cars, ive seen cars built in the 1st month of 2004 and be rotted right out because of the salt in those provinces, bunch of idiots who don't know how to drive in winter is the cause, i think