Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2005, 01:13 AM   #1
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Thinking about first car - Preferably domestic!

Well, Im looking for a car. Im 14, and I will be 15 here in the next few months, and I want something to work on. Im wanting something that can be a project, but at the same time still be driveable. I would prefer a domestic, Im not really into imports, although I do like the Toyotas.

I was thinking something like a Ford Maverick, or a Galaxie. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Logan
SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 01:16 AM   #2
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
Well, Im looking for a car. Im 14, and I will be 15 here in the next few months, and I want something to work on. Im wanting something that can be a project, but at the same time still be driveable. I would prefer a domestic, Im not really into imports, although I do like the Toyotas.

I was thinking something like a Ford Maverick, or a Galaxie. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Logan

I'm in the same predicament my friend, I'm 15 and have no car. What's your budget?

Quote:
I am crazy. But you know what else? I don't give a ****.
-Tupac
TurboLag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 01:16 AM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:

Thanks,
Logan
I'm not too clued up on my US cars, but I have a passion for classic Mustangs, and seeing as you guys over there have cheaper insurance than us Brits, I'd say that it's more of a possibility for you, as a young learner driver, than me, as a guy who's been driving for four years, to buy and restore one!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 01:18 AM   #4
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboLag
I'm in the same predicament my friend, I'm 15 and have no car. What's your budget?
Well the budget is the problem. My father isnt making too much money right now, but we're hoping things will get better. So I would have to say no more than $1,200
Old 07-24-2005, 01:24 AM   #5
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch

Quote:
Well the budget is the problem. My father isnt making too much money right now, but we're hoping things will get better. So I would have to say no more than $1,200

So do you want to restore something?

If you look in your local bulletin board you can usually find old muscle cars without engines and/or trannies that are around that price. But if your looking for something you can drive you might be out of luck

Quote:
-Tupac
Old 07-24-2005, 01:26 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:

If you look in your local bulletin board you can usually find old muscle cars without engines and/or trannies that are around that price
I think he said he wants one that drives...I spose he could go into Flintstone mode lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 01:27 AM   #7
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch

But you say you like toyotas? What models do you like?

Quote:
-Tupac
Old 07-24-2005, 01:28 AM   #8
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I think he said he wants one that drives...

Yeah, that's a problem. Unless your state doesn't have annual car inspections like Ohio. You could drive a Joe Dirtmobile (superbird wasn't it?)

Quote:
-Tupac
Old 07-24-2005, 01:28 AM   #9
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:

If you look in your local bulletin board you can usually find old muscle cars without engines and/or trannies that are around that price
That sounds like a good idea. I have an uncle that could hook me up with a 351 Cleaveland and a transmission. He owns his own shop so he has engines from Ford, Dodge, and Chevrolet lying around ALL the time. Mostly Ford though He has a 1972 Mach 1 that he has put a 460 V8 in and bored and stroked it out to a 567 and its making over 1000hp w/out any nitrous or anything. The crazy part is that it is alllll steel. Theres not one piece of fiberglass on that car, and it runs mid 9s.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:34 AM   #10
TurboLag
CF's Bonafide Sonbitch

Quote:
That sounds like a good idea. I have an uncle that could hook me up with a 351 Cleaveland and a transmission. He owns his own shop so he has engines from Ford, Dodge, and Chevrolet lying around ALL the time. Mostly Ford though He has a 1972 Mach 1 that he has put a 460 V8 in and bored and stroked it out to a 567 and its making over 1000hp w/out any nitrous or anything. The crazy part is that it is alllll steel. Theres not one piece of fiberglass on that car, and it runs mid 9s.

WOW. 9's?!? That's impressive . Well you could get an old Mach 1 (I prefer '69) for $1,200 without the engine and tranny and get the rest from your uncle. If you go with a chevy I would suggest a camaro (Again, I prefer ' 69 for its lines). Camaro parts are dirt cheap compared to other cars

Quote:
-Tupac
Old 07-26-2005, 02:19 AM   #11
green machine
CF Newbie

go with the maverick or a 75-81 camaro

they are cheap right now and u could get a motor and trans from your uncle but a 1000 hp with out nitrous highly unlikely!! and as far as 69 camaros big bucks a rear qrter repair panel is 1500 alone!!! wont touch a clean 1 for under 10 grand i should know i just sold one last year for 12500. And as far as your dad not havin alot of cash why dont u get a part time job and spend less cash on slipknot cd`s, thats what i did when i was ur age bought my first car a 70 dodge duster for 700 drove it and worked on it for 2 years while workin and goin to school and bought a 68 camaro with a vette drivetrain 2 months before i graduated hs!!
green machine is offline   Reply With Quote