Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2005, 12:41 AM   #1
talongod33
CF Newbie

what is a ballpark figure for price to rebuild a tranny?

does any one know? i just bought a project 1991 eagle talon tsi awd.with only 88,000 miles. i only paid $150 for it but the tranny is out. it is also a manual tranny if that makes a difference.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:36 AM   #2
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

I would say you could expect to pay $400-800 for a bench rebuild job depending on where you go and exactly what it needs. If you need it re-installed then expect the price to go up at least $200, that's assuming you short-cut replacing the clutch(not recommended).

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:44 AM   #3
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

R&R w/ Repair will run you about a grand+, maybe more because those cars are horrible to get them out of/repair, AWD Eagles are terrible. That's why you got the car so cheap.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:55 AM   #4
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
cant be much harder than pulling an Audi motor. which became surprisingly easy once you think like an audi engineer
Old 03-04-2005, 07:43 AM   #5
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
cant be much harder than pulling an Audi motor. which became surprisingly easy once you think like an audi engineer

I've happily never taken out an Audi motor, don't really care to either. I wouldn't if I was told either, I refuse to do extensive work to european junk. Even small jobs turn big on them.. waiting 3 days now for an axel for a Volvo, coming from Italy, and that's why they're junk. Not to mention motors and Trans are completely different things.. Much harder to take the motor out on anything than the trans no matter the case. Not much is connected to the trans, few wires and a couple hoses is all. Where-as a motor... lots of everything.

No matter how you approach it, it's going to take one mechanic the same amount of time as the next to do pretty much anything on a car, hense, the labour book, which will probably give you 13 hours just for R&R on a Eagle AWD.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
talongod33
CF Newbie

would it be cheaper to find a used tranny?or how much is it to buy a new one?
Old 03-04-2005, 05:43 PM   #7
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by talongod33
would it be cheaper to find a used tranny?or how much is it to buy a new one?

Used is cheaper, but, then you may just be getting other peoples problems. I'd get it re-built personally. The re-build will probably cost in the $700 area, and it's like getting a new one.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:49 AM   #8
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
axel for a volvo from italy? what country do you live in, musta been really obscure, i can say ive never had to go out of northa america to find anything. and VW and Audi build pretty damn good cars and they make it very simple, the only problem i have found is that they are made of alot of plastic, and getting diagnostics info is tricky cuz they always want you to use the VAG and only give you specs for doing the pinout tests thru the thing, so you kinda gotta figure it out on your own (im assuming like ford's old Break out box or whatever they called that crap) but i don't think im gunna invest in a that tool cuz, we don't see a whole lotta VW's or Audi's with drivability problems, just the regular crap.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:11 AM   #9
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
axel for a volvo from italy? what country do you live in, musta been really obscure, i can say ive never had to go out of northa america to find anything. and VW and Audi build pretty damn good cars and they make it very simple, the only problem i have found is that they are made of alot of plastic, and getting diagnostics info is tricky cuz they always want you to use the VAG and only give you specs for doing the pinout tests thru the thing, so you kinda gotta figure it out on your own (im assuming like ford's old Break out box or whatever they called that crap) but i don't think im gunna invest in a that tool cuz, we don't see a whole lotta VW's or Audi's with drivability problems, just the regular crap.

I'm from Canada for the record.

Well if you worked on them all day you'd think differently about them they aren't well built either, mediocre at best. The only one of them two that I'd ever own is a TDI VW, and that's only because they get very good mileage.

We just got that Volvo done today, it's been sitting on stands clogging our shop up since Wednesday.

We have to order from Japan and Europe constantly, it gets extremely annoying, we order from there at least once or twice a week. That's why I don't see why someone would buy an import vehicle, really, I just don't understand. They're under-powered generally, lots of them rust very badly, they have a lot of problems, they're expensive to fix and you have to wait to fix them. Why not get a vehicle that was made for conditions on this continent, cheaper to fix, better designed generally, and of course, get more bang for the buck and a longer lasting motor with the V6's/8's that we have here. You just see all this stuff after working on them for pretty much as long as you can remember. Oh well, everyone to their own, I guess.