Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2005, 10:39 PM   #1
sean_hawn19
CF Newbie

Question Idling Problems 94 Ford Tempo GL

Just recently I have incountered idling problems with my 94 Ford Tempo GL 2.3L. When I start the car the RPM's run around 1.5, normal I know when cold. I shift the car into drive the RPM's fall to around 900, a little high not by much. When I am driving the car picks up speed on it's own, I don't have to touch the gas. When I brake and come to a stop the RPM's are around 1000. WHen I shift it into park the RPM's raise to 1.5 to 2. I know they should be around 800 to 900. I changed the air idle control valve but still have this problem. Sometimes the care runs great but for the most part still have this problem. I find that if I remove the wire connection to the air idle control valve then reapply it the car idles find till I shift it out and back into park. What can be wrong ? and were does that wire connection run to ?

Thanks
sean_hawn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:00 AM   #2
poor ford owner
CF Newbie

Same problem with my Ford Tempo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_hawn19
Just recently I have incountered idling problems with my 94 Ford Tempo GL 2.3L. When I start the car the RPM's run around 1.5, normal I know when cold. I shift the car into drive the RPM's fall to around 900, a little high not by much. When I am driving the car picks up speed on it's own, I don't have to touch the gas. When I brake and come to a stop the RPM's are around 1000. WHen I shift it into park the RPM's raise to 1.5 to 2. I know they should be around 800 to 900. I changed the air idle control valve but still have this problem. Sometimes the care runs great but for the most part still have this problem. I find that if I remove the wire connection to the air idle control valve then reapply it the car idles find till I shift it out and back into park. What can be wrong ? and were does that wire connection run to ?

Thanks

I have the same problem with my 1994. I also had an 89 Topaz. It drove me home one night at 80 km/hr and I never did touch the gas. Took it to Ford dealership and they charged me 2400.. dollars. They were not able to tell me what was wrong after having the car for almost a month. They went on a parts replacement mission and tried to cure the problem from what I could see. The same problem came back within a week. So now I am obviously watching your post to see if anyone knows how to fix it because there is no way I'll go back to FORD to have them fix the problem. Good luck
poor ford owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:04 AM   #3
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor ford owner
I have the same problem with my 1994. I also had an 89 Topaz. It drove me home one night at 80 km/hr and I never did touch the gas. Took it to Ford dealership and they charged me 2400.. dollars. They were not able to tell me what was wrong after having the car for almost a month. They went on a parts replacement mission and tried to cure the problem from what I could see. The same problem came back within a week. So now I am obviously watching your post to see if anyone knows how to fix it because there is no way I'll go back to FORD to have them fix the problem. Good luck

check the gas pedal cable might be jamming alittle in the casing or the return springs on the throttle might be rusted/weak and not returning the throttle plate to idle position

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:07 AM   #4
carls47807
CF Freak

the same thing happened on my sisters dodge caravelle (completely different car but similar problem as you described it). we brought it to our trusty dodge dealer as he is a relation of ours, but they couldn't find the problem with it. it turned out to be a bad intake gasket.

the only good method i know of to test the intake gaskets are to spray around them with starter fluid and see if the engine revs up.

hopefully someone will have a better idea for both of our benefits.

i hate FI
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote