Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2005, 02:36 PM   #1
Level954
CF Newbie

basic engine questions (please)

This is for an 89' pontiac 6000 safari station wagon...(all stock)
2.8L Multiport F1 FWD

Now I dont know much about cars but here goes, and in advance thank all of you. you guys are a real big help, id be clueless without this forum.
One more thing, I will tell you ahead of time to avoud the negative posts, im a computer guy not a car guy, trying to make a transition and get into cars right now on a scale from 1-10 id rate myself a 2 about knowledge of cars

Does this car have a computer? If so would a newer computer provide better accel/HP? If not would one help?

Would this Air Filter(LINK) help alot as far as accel/HP?

Can someone break down 2.8L Multiport F1 in laman terms for me?

Would this link do anything for me? click here

What else should I do/replace in order to get this car running better? Fuel filter? Spark plugs? What else should I do because it was parked for quite a long time...
Again thank you for taking your time to read this and lend me a hand of support
Level954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #2
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level954
Does this car have a computer? If so would a newer computer provide better accel/HP? If not would one help?

Yes, every fuel injected vehicle has to have a computer. Wouldn't run without one.

Quote:
Would this Air Filter(LINK) help alot as far as accel/HP?

A little, but not much, maybe about 2hp if you're lucky.

Quote:
Can someone break down 2.8L Multiport F1 in laman terms for me?

It's actually FI, not F1, means fuel-injected. What do you want me to explain? It's a V6 motor Multiport signifies it is injected at all 6 ports so it has 6 separate fuel injectors just before the combustion chamber (where the fuel is burnt).

Quote:
Would this link do anything for me? click here

No. Those things don't do crap, if anything, they'll hurt your power. And drop your fuel mileage.

Quote:
What else should I do/replace in order to get this car running better? Fuel filter? Spark plugs? What else should I do because it was parked for quite a long time...
Again thank you for taking your time to read this and lend me a hand of support

Plugs, wires if it needs it, Fuel filter, Oil&Filter, get a motovac system used on it, drain the gas-tank if it has been sitting for an overly long time, you may need a new tank even if it rusted inside. May need a new Fuel Pump.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:49 PM   #3
Level954
CF Newbie

Well the whole purpose for all of this is to jump up my acceleration, personally I could careless about overall speed and considering how heavy this vehicle is what should I do to get the acceleration a heck of a lot better than it is now?
Level954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:49 AM   #4
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level954
Well the whole purpose for all of this is to jump up my acceleration, personally I could careless about overall speed and considering how heavy this vehicle is what should I do to get the acceleration a heck of a lot better than it is now?

There's nothing you can do with that motor, trust me, I've tried. I'm upgrading to a 3.1, that's how I'm boosting my accelleration

Only thing you can do is get a K&N filter, but it does very little.