Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2005, 07:24 PM   #1
Gothicaleigh
CF Newbie
 
Gothicaleigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: My world is evil, but American made...
Posts: 95
Cadillac

Standard of the World? This time they may be serious about their classic claim...

I know what you may be thinking, and no, I don't have this in the wrong section. Cadillac is building and releasing a car in Europe and for Europe only.

Why a Euro-Caddy? To truly reinvent itself (as it has been in recent years), Cadillac decided it needs to be a global brand. This means greater saturation into Europe and Asia. They will be shipping the new Sigma cars (CTS, STS, SRX, and XLR) from America to be distributed around the world, but Europeans prefer smaller cars than what is the norm here in America. Right now, Cadillac's smallest offering is the CTS sedan which has almost exactly the same interior and exterior dimensions as the BMW 5-series, a good size car by European standards. So to compete with the likes of BMW's 3 series, they needed a smaller car for Europe. To make sure the pricing stays competitive it also needed to be built in Europe.

Enter the Cadillac BLS:






It is based on the front wheel drive Epsilon platform (which is an odd announcement seeing as the rest of Cadillac is moving back to RWD) and will have six planned engine choices, including 2 diesels (almost a requirement to be taken seriously in Europe).

One of the announced engines will be a 2.8-liter turbo V-6 making 250 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque (the same engine found in the new Saab 9-3). Pricing will be in line with BMW's 325 and Audi's A4, so that kind of output at that price will be quite attractive. AWD, coupe, and convertible models are also planned, as is a future high performance "V" model.

Cadillac believes that releasing such a car here in the states would dilute the brand's image and therefore has no plans to do so.

Personally, I believe it would make a great daily driver and hope they change their mind...
__________________
-God is what Mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scope of our comprehension-
Gothicaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
They are making a gutsy move trying to sell that thing in Europe. I give it 2 years before it gets the axe.

I really wish Caddy didnt model ALL their lineup after the CTS... (gawd it's fugly).
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 10:09 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Hoopty freakin' doo. General Motors rebadges another Opel and calls it a Cadillac. Maybe the reason they're only going to sell it in Europe is because they're afraid the American public remembers the fairly recent disaster known as the Catera, another rebadged Opel.


The "new" Cadillac BLS... Before GM's Pimp My Ride division got it.





Please, if you're going to use huge amounts of bandwidth do so with something newsworthy.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:43 AM   #4
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Hoopty freakin' doo. General Motors rebadges another Opel and calls it a Cadillac. Maybe the reason they're only going to sell it in Europe is because they're afraid the American public remembers the fairly recent disaster known as the Catera, another rebadged Opel.

I remember seeing that you lived in GA in a previous post (might be wrong)... Have you been around any Caddy dealerships around Atlanta? Their newest 'rebate' includes standard 22" wheels on all Escalades.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:48 AM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
I remember seeing that you lived in GA in a previous post (might be wrong)... Have you been around any Caddy dealerships around Atlanta? Their newest 'rebate' includes standard 22" wheels on all Escalades.
No, I have never lived in Georgia. I bet that "rebate" doesn't do much to sell Escalades to people of the caucasian variety.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:34 AM   #6
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
They are making a gutsy move trying to sell that thing in Europe. I give it 2 years before it gets the axe.

I really wish Caddy didnt model ALL their lineup after the CTS... (gawd it's fugly).

They don't design their cars after the CTS, the CTS derived its design from GM's European Opels and Holdens. What you're referring to as the "similarities" is the crease down the middle, the boxy appearence, large grills, and square headlights and tailights. Wich in fact is Cadillacs new trademark. Had the STS came before the CTS it would still appear the way it does.

However I'd have to add that only a narrow mind blind to any form of art or engineering would be able to consider the CTS, STS, and the BS.. I mean BLS modeled after each other. The CTS and STS share common bodylines but since when has that ever been posed problem? Mercedes does it with almost every single one of their Classes. BMW and Audi also follow similar traits. None the less the two are completly differen. Just look at the front and rear pillar on the BLS compared to the CTS; if you can't tell the difference by just that alone you're stupid.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
No, I have never lived in Georgia. I bet that "rebate" doesn't do much to sell Escalades to people of the caucasian variety.


A larger flashier wheel seems to be more accepted in many genres of cars nowadays. At least in terms of cars sold in America. You see them everywhere from Chryslers with 18" wheels to 7-series BMWs with 20" wheels as a factory option. Although I have no idea what a "rebate" with 22" wheels has to do with anything relevant to this threads topic, a car with larger wheels tends to appeal to car buyers of all races.
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:20 AM   #7
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
No, I have never lived in Georgia. I bet that "rebate" doesn't do much to sell Escalades to people of the caucasian variety.

Wish that was true.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:23 AM   #8
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LSU Campus
Posts: 3,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
They don't design their cars after the CTS, the CTS derived its design from GM's European Opels and Holdens. What you're referring to as the "similarities" is the crease down the middle, the boxy appearence, large grills, and square headlights and tailights. Wich in fact is Cadillacs new trademark. Had the STS came before the CTS it would still appear the way it does.

However I'd have to add that only a narrow mind blind to any form of art or engineering would be able to consider the CTS, STS, and the BS.. I mean BLS modeled after each other. The CTS and STS share common bodylines but since when has that ever been posed problem? Mercedes does it with almost every single one of their Classes. BMW and Audi also follow similar traits. None the less the two are completly differen. Just look at the front and rear pillar on the BLS compared to the CTS; if you can't tell the difference by just that alone you're stupid.

When I FIRST saw the picture of the 'new' STS, the first thing that popped into my head was 'is that the limo version of the CTS?' That generally does not happen. Whether it's 'derived' from Opel or whoever, they all share way too much in common, and in my opinion a very ugly design.
__________________
1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan
Mileage Ticker: 232,400 Miles
Stereo Mods: Coming soon...

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:43 PM   #9
-What-
Banned
 
-What-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Everywhere! Previous Join Date: Jul 2004 Status: Banned
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I bet that "rebate" doesn't do much to sell Escalades to people of the caucasian variety.

Stop showing your age bitch.

Look away from the TV and all the "hip-hop" commercialism and realise that it isn't just black people who desire large size rims.
-What- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:43 PM   #10
Gothicaleigh
CF Newbie
 
Gothicaleigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: My world is evil, but American made...
Posts: 95
We may get the BLS in America around 2010 riding on the Epsilon platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNews
"Our current thinking is that the next generation will be available around the world," the General Motors vice chairman said. Lutz's comments were directed at a cyberspace audience on GM's FastLane Web log.

The second-generation BLS will be developed off the automaker's Epsilon II architecture. It is expected to debut around 2010.

Cadillac General Marketing Manager Jim Taylor said the next generation could be suitable for North America. But, he said, no decision has been made.

Taylor was interviewed March 1 at a GM event in Geneva. Asked whether the next-generation BLS will be sold in North America, Taylor said: "It could be. It could be. The next generation it is up for debate."

He said GM might need to move the next-generation CTS a little upmarket to create space in the line for the BLS.

Plans to globalize the Epsilon II vehicles, allowing for production in the United States, could avoid the currency issue. Next-generation BLS vehicles may include a convertible, coupe and all-wheel-drive versions.
__________________
-God is what Mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scope of our comprehension-
Gothicaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:51 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by -What-
Stop showing your age bitch.

Look away from the TV and all the "hip-hop" commercialism and realise that it isn't just black people who desire large size rims.
Once again you are showing your ignorance. It doesn't seem to matter what you call yourself, you are still an insignificant little Twhat.

I never stated or implied that only black people want oversized wheels (notice I used the correct terminology, not the ebonic term "rim" like you). But let me share something with you. This is an indisputable fact, keep that in mind before you tell me I'm wrong.

One of my shops also has a tire store as part of the program. It's a small tire store that only does about $500k a year gross. Well over 90% of all customers that come in and buy wheels, tires or wheel and tire packages 20" in diameter or more are black. This is not racism, this is not imagination, this is a simple fact. So, when I say that giving away free Dubs "doesn't do much to sell Escalades to people of the caucasian variety" I have good reason to believe I'm not far off based on fact.

You have once again proven yourself to be the true bitch.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:59 PM   #12
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Once again you are showing your ignorance. It doesn't seem to matter what you call yourself, you are still an insignificant little Twhat.

I never stated or implied that only black people want oversized wheels (notice I used the correct terminology, not the ebonic term "rim" like you). But let me share something with you. This is an indisputable fact, keep that in mind before you tell me I'm wrong.

One of my shops also has a tire store as part of the program. It's a small tire store that only does about $500k a year gross. Well over 90% of all customers that come in and buy wheels, tires or wheel and tire packages 20" in diameter or more are black. This is not racism, this is not imagination, this is a simple fact. So, when I say that giving away free Dubs "doesn't do much to sell Escalades to people of the caucasian variety" I have good reason to believe I'm not far off based on fact.

You have once again proven yourself to be the true bitch.

Haha I beleive the wheels in question were actually "Dub-dueces". 22" and growing...
__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.