Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2004, 08:42 AM   #16
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur
I thought saab was chevy owned? anyway, Volvo wont allow ford to alter there design, it wont happen.
I didn't know Volvo had a design lol j/k. I never knew Saab was owned by anybody else! Dont Renault own Volvo? If so I'd be more worried about them ruining the design

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 04:12 PM   #17
vwmaniac
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I didn't know Volvo had a design lol j/k. I never knew Saab was owned by anybody else! Dont Renault own Volvo? If so I'd be more worried about them ruining the design

No,Ford owns Volvo now, and SAAB is owned by GMC.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:07 AM   #18
Arthur
On Probation

the Volvo car section is owned by ford but ford has no control over volvos design of there cars.
Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 11:23 AM   #19
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Yup, in 1849 I believe, where would we be without the good 'ol Swedish cars lol. I'm not Volvo or Saab's greatest fan but you cant fault the safety of these cars...They were also and probably still are made of strengthend materials too, to withstand harsh weather conditions, okay if your the driver of one, not so okay if your in an accident with one though I guess lol!
Milestones in pre-automotive history. The seatbelt was invented in 1849. Must have been for the Swedish horse and buggy.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 03:56 PM   #20
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Guy
Did you know the Volvo invented the seat belt???
Well uh, no and they don't either. I won't pretend to know exactly who, what, when or how the seatbelt was invented but... They were in use as early as the 1930's in the US. First installed by doctors who thought they would make driving safer.

However Volvo is credited, at least within their own literature, as having invented the 3-point safety belt. I think you could find more than a few people who would dispute that fact. Again I won't pretend to know for sure but I feel they're using a very narrow definition to make that claim.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 02-28-2004, 04:34 PM   #21
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

According to the movie, Tucker was the first to implement seatbelts in the American market.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 04:39 PM   #22
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
According to the movie, Tucker was the first to implement seatbelts in the American market.
Agreed. I was simply using their word which was "invented".

Old 02-28-2004, 04:41 PM   #23
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Agreed. I was simply using their word which was "invented".

I was just throwing out some of my vast knowledge.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:44 PM   #24
Arthur
On Probation

http://inventors.about.com/library/i...seat_belts.htm
Volvo had the first safety belts in 1849. The first U.S. patent for automobile seat beats was issued to Edward J. Claghorn of New York, New York on February 10, 1885. Claghorn was granted United States Patent #312,085 for a Safety-Belt for tourists, described in the patent as "designed to be applied to the person, and provided with hooks and other attachments for securing the person to a fixed object."

Swedish inventor, Nils Bohlin invented the three-point seat belt - not the first but the modern seatbelt - now a standard safety device in most cars. Nils Bohlin's lap-and-shoulder belt was introduced by Volvo in 1959.

2-Point Seat Belt: A restraint system with two attachment points. A lap belt.

3-Point Seat Belt: A seat belt with both a lap and a shoulder portion, having three attachment points (one shoulder, two hips).

Lap Belt: A seat belt anchored at two points, for use across the occupant's thighs/hips.

Lap/Shoulder Belt: A seat belt that is anchored at three points and restrains the occupant at the hips and across the shoulder; also called a “combination belt”.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:41 PM   #25
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
http://inventors.about.com/library/i...seat_belts.htm
Volvo had the first safety belts in 1849. The first U.S. patent for automobile seat beats was issued to Edward J. Claghorn of New York, New York on February 10, 1885. Claghorn was granted United States Patent #312,085 for a Safety-Belt for tourists, described in the patent as "designed to be applied to the person, and provided with hooks and other attachments for securing the person to a fixed object."

Swedish inventor, Nils Bohlin invented the three-point seat belt - not the first but the modern seatbelt - now a standard safety device in most cars. Nils Bohlin's lap-and-shoulder belt was introduced by Volvo in 1959.

2-Point Seat Belt: A restraint system with two attachment points. A lap belt.

3-Point Seat Belt: A seat belt with both a lap and a shoulder portion, having three attachment points (one shoulder, two hips).

Lap Belt: A seat belt anchored at two points, for use across the occupant's thighs/hips.

Lap/Shoulder Belt: A seat belt that is anchored at three points and restrains the occupant at the hips and across the shoulder; also called a “combination belt”.
Okay, you got me. Or perhaps more correctly you've proven what I've said time and time again. Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true. Let's apply just a teeny tiny amount of critical thinking to this subject, shall we?

According to your source, Volvo invented the seatbelt in 1849, which as I said earlier is pre-automotive history. Here's the problem. The founders of Volvo, Assar Gabrielsson and Gustaf Larson weren't even born until the 1890's. Furthermore they didn't get together and start their company until 1924. So please explain to me how the company invented ANYTHING 75 years before it was founded. Okey, dokey?

Old 03-02-2004, 08:58 PM   #26
Arthur
On Probation

Woah buddy remove the broom and calm down i mearly Copy posted One source. I never said you where wrong or argued about it.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:29 PM   #27
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Woah buddy remove the broom and calm down i mearly Copy posted One source. I never said you where wrong or argued about it.
Don't recall saying you did. On the other hand if you're going to cite an example, it might be a good idea to read it first.

Old 03-16-2004, 02:52 AM   #28
Hiens
CF Newbie

Saabs are good but they are no longer independent. Volvos are tanks on weels but i'm here to tell you bout the Sweeds supercar SLAYER! The Koenigsegg CC8S and CCR.
heres the specs.
Koenigsegg.com Vehical Specs.
Of course Scince it's made by sweeds it's safe! it's the origanl Enzo.

Happy? No.
Hiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 04:13 AM   #29
SuperJew
I like pie.

the origanl? is that some form of origami?

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 10:47 PM   #30
Hiens
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJew
the origanl? is that some form of origami?

ha yah right.

Happy? No.
Hiens is offline   Reply With Quote