Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
orion6g
CF Newbie

Question '89 tercel dead?

Hey guys,
I have an '89 tercel 4 door hatchback that I have owned (and overdriven) for about one and a half years. It currently has 304,222 km on it. I was doing about 100 km/h in third going up a fairly steep hill (which I have done since i bought the car and never had problems before except blowing a little smoke) when it started to jerk and leap so I pulled over at the top of the hill and my car stalled before it even came to a stop (clutch fully in). The car overheated a little bit but not bad (just into the red), cooled down fairly quickly and wouldn't start again (starter is whirling but not catching). I rolled the car and popped it into gear to make sure the starter didn't just have a dead spot and also managed to roll it an inch or two in gear so I'm pretty sure the engine hasn't seized (there was only a little bit of steam coming from under the hood and you couldn't even notice it until I actually lifted up the hood). I know the starter has been slowly going for a while but it has always started and this seems a little sudden for it to just die. None of this worked and the only other thing worth mentioning is that I can smell gas when I am cranking the starter. Any suggestions?

Last edited by orion6g : 03-13-2005 at 12:51 AM.
orion6g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:17 PM   #2
the lobster
CF Addict

your timing belt is broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion6g
Hey guys,
I have an '89 tercel 4 door hatchback that I have owned (and overdriven) for about one and a half years. It currently has 304,222 km on it. I was doing about 100 km/h in third going up a fairly steep hill (which I have done since i bought the car and never had problems before except blowing a little smoke) when it started to jerk and leap so I pulled over at the top of the hill and my car stalled before it even came to a stop (clutch fully in). The car overheated a little bit but not bad (just into the red), cooled down fairly quickly and wouldn't start again (starter is whirling but not catching). I rolled the car and popped it into gear to make sure the starter didn't just have a dead spot and also managed to roll it an inch or two in gear so I'm pretty sure the engine hasn't seized (there was only a little bit of steam coming from under the hood and you couldn't even notice it until I actually lifted up the hood). I know the starter has been slowly going for a while but it has always started and this seems a little sudden for it to just die. None of this worked and the only other thing worth mentioning is that I can smell gas when I am cranking the starter. Any suggestions?
it sound like your timing belt broke if your car has a 1.6 litre engine,evry 96000 km ,its replaced.it controls the camshaft.does the engine seem to crank faster than normal?if so its because you have lost the compression.easy way to tell if its broken.remove the oil filler cap.get someone to crankk the engine.if the cam is not turning,but the crank is ,the belt broke.before the belt breaks,it screws up the timing,causing power loss,if the timing advances too far ,the engine overheats.the other possibility is that the head gasket went.that would cause a loss of compression and the car will not start.if you put water in when it was hot,you can crack the head,but i would say the timing belt is broken.if it is an interference engine,ther could be a bent valve.if just the belt,its 250 at toyota installed .do the water pump at the same time .its only another half hours labor since its all apart.the pump is 70.if the pump goes,it costs 300 to do later. hpope i have been of help
the lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:50 PM   #3
orion6g
CF Newbie

Carburetor

That's for the advice lobster. The spark plugs were all coroded to hell, I replaced them but that didn't fix it. I check the distributer and the fuel line, which is fine all the way to the carburetor, where no gas is going into the cylinders. I'm pretty sure it's just the carburetor now as everything else seems to be working.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:48 AM   #4
the lobster
CF Addict

Try This .

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion6g
That's for the advice lobster. The spark plugs were all coroded to hell, I replaced them but that didn't fix it. I check the distributer and the fuel line, which is fine all the way to the carburetor, where no gas is going into the cylinders. I'm pretty sure it's just the carburetor now as everything else seems to be working.
use a spark plug type ignition tester.it is about 12$ at lordco.it looks like a spark plug.dandy little thing.when you say that the plugs were corroded ,like from water in the cylinders or steam? try this .if the high volts are there,get a can of liquid fire.spray some in the carb throat.if there is a fuel problem,the car will try to start.if you do not have high voltage,check the rotor inside the cap.toyotas are very picky about spark plug gap too.ther is an the older ones like yours a capacitor off the distributor to ground.check that it is not shorted,as it will clamp the primary distributor volts to ground.make sure the high volts are there first.good luc with it ......lobster
Old 03-15-2005, 03:33 AM   #5
orion6g
CF Newbie

Tercels Are F*cking Indestructable

Hey, I just got my car started today, I almost gave up hope being she's a beater. I tried cranking her until the battery died, charged the battery and tried it again and again and finally it started after tons of trying. The idle is still fussy (sometimes it will, most of the time it won't) but I'm just happy she's running again (no more walking for me). I think the Bosch Platinum spark plugs made a difference. Thanks for the Help Lobster.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:27 AM   #6
the lobster
CF Addict

your welcome

glad you got it working.the idle might be that your choke is misadjusted.check and make sure it is at the proper setting.check the plug gap.its critical. glad you have it running .awesome !