Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you think of the Mini Cooper S?
Eh, it is too ugly for me and I laugh at you for liking it 2 10.53%
I would pick a different car in its class but it still has its strengths 3 15.79%
Just another car. Minis are old news and nothing too eye catching these days 0 0%
Everything is great except the looks. 1 5.26%
It is an amazing piece of Euro machinery. I have 2 (not really) 13 68.42%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2005, 09:59 PM   #1
Mchoi32
CF Newbie

What is your opinion on the mini?

Honestly, I love this car. Not just that, I detail them to make my college money. I think I am going to get one. I decided since I can get them at dealer invoice, it would be an amazing deal.

What do you guys think?
Right now, I have the sports package, cold weather package and limited slip differential.

At 23,000 MSRP.

I guess, the look of the car has a very stereotypical vibe to it. (a girl car, a wimpy car, etc etc.) I don't really care, they are fun as hell to drive.

This goes well with the Miata sticky post.
Mchoi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 10:07 PM   #2
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

I love the mini cooper S, I have driven them twice. Amazing cars. When your going around turn the car seems to know exactly what you want to do, there is no over or understeer, it just goes where you point it.

When I first drove it, the car went around turns at speeds I thought would be physically impossible. the acceleration is amazing, the steering is perfect, driver position is great, and the pedals were set up perfectly for heel-toe shifting. All in all, this was the most fun Ive ever had driving a front wheel drive car, and the only rear wheel drive I have driven that was better, was the BMW ///M coupe.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:15 PM   #3
Mchoi32
CF Newbie

I agree. I think it is amazing and its strength is in its ability to handle aggressive roads at high speeds. The stock suspension is a notch above any other stock suspension and the sports package gets you even stiffer ones.

I love the 6 gear transmission, I don't think I can go back to 5-speed because I hate how they put it in the 6th gear spot. I never liked that. I like its very low center of gravity as well.

All black is too sexy to pass up.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:44 AM   #4
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchoi32

I guess, the look of the car has a very stereotypical vibe to it. (a girl car, a wimpy car, etc etc.)

Woah man....I don't know about people you know, but I have never met a single person who doesn't love the new mini, guys included. Its an amazing car with a broad appeal.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 01:46 AM   #5
Spitsign
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Woah man....I don't know about people you know, but I have never met a single person who doesn't love the new mini, guys included. Its an amazing car with a broad appeal.

I love driving small cars, and I definitely love the Mini
Spitsign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:32 AM   #6
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

I love the car to begin with. But now since BMW is getting rid of the Supercharger in favor of two turbo (one N/A base model) models, I want one even more.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:38 AM   #7
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

I love the cars, too. They're just expensive for what you get. Could get a Mustang GT for the price of a Mini.. hmmm...
Old 03-24-2005, 04:38 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

You forgot an important potential response on your poll. Who cares?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:05 AM   #9
Mchoi32
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
You forgot an important potential response on your poll. Who cares?
Oh sorry, I thought people who didn't care wouldn't vote so...
Old 03-24-2005, 06:07 AM   #10
Mchoi32
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
I love the cars, too. They're just expensive for what you get. Could get a Mustang GT for the price of a Mini.. hmmm...

Umm, not really. Mustang GT is 29,000 and a well equiped Mini is 23,000. Add the John Cooper and it bumps up to 26,500.

Why is everyone obsessed with the new Mustang? It didn't even meet the emissions standard. As well as the worst suspension still.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:08 AM   #11
Mchoi32
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew

Well, I thought that was what most people who didn't know much about cars except for if they either liked it or not would think.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:45 AM   #12
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Umm, not really. Mustang GT is 29,000 and a well equiped Mini is 23,000. Add the John Cooper and it bumps up to 26,500.

Why is everyone obsessed with the new Mustang? It didn't even meet the emissions standard. As well as the worst suspension still.

Haha, yah right, GT's go for between 24,000 and 25,000 generally.

Everybody is obsessed with them, well, because they're nice, powerful, cheap and good cars. They'll lay it to that mini in every category if you put the two side by side. Though I do like the Minis, but why buy a toy when you can get the real thing for the same price?

You do realize what you just said, right? About the emissions? Do you not realize they absolutely have to meet the standards to pass? Other than that, the mustang GT is VERY good, by far surpasses the standards. They make more than 50 percent less than last years model ("Ultra-Low Vehicle II" I think it's classed as, don't quote me on that though), enough said. Don't know where you heard that BS from, or do you just want to rag on the Mustang?

Also the new Mustangs have very good suspension in them to say the least, you're the first person I've ever heard rag on the suspension too. You've never even driven one, so you shouldn't tear it down like you are.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:43 PM   #13
Mchoi32
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Haha, yah right, GT's go for between 24,000 and 25,000 generally.

Everybody is obsessed with them, well, because they're nice, powerful, cheap and good cars. They'll lay it to that mini in every category if you put the two side by side. Though I do like the Minis, but why buy a toy when you can get the real thing for the same price?

You do realize what you just said, right? About the emissions? Do you not realize they absolutely have to meet the standards to pass? Other than that, the mustang GT is VERY good, by far surpasses the standards. They make more than 50 percent less than last years model ("Ultra-Low Vehicle II" I think it's classed as, don't quote me on that though), enough said. Don't know where you heard that BS from, or do you just want to rag on the Mustang?.

Wow 26,000 for a GT? That is a nice deal I guess. Oh wait, that is if you don't get any options. Well then I'd still rather get a nicely equipped Mini for 23,000.

I dunno, V8 is just too much for me. You got to think about the extra fuel costs as well as the extra insurance costs as well as mainentance, oil changes which is free for a mini but the Ford warranty is not as good. If you don't think a V8 is expensive to maintain then atleast realize the mini is an INLINE 4, which takes almost no effort to maintain.

You also said,
Quote:
Also the new Mustangs have very good suspension in them to say the least, you're the first person I've ever heard rag on the suspension too. You've never even driven one, so you shouldn't tear it down like you are

I've driven a V6. I guess I would assume you knew I drove when when I said the suspension sucks. I don't just pull it out of my ass. It still is a solid axle suspension which still sucks to any other Japanese or European car out there. (this might not be true, but don't take me literally. I am not making fun of you or nothing when I say I don't like the suspension.) I assume you didn't make the car so stop taking my dislike of a car's suspension to a new level of uncertainty.

The car does one thing good, and that is it can go fast straight. But when you put it through winding curves and hills, I wouldn't bet my life or my insurance on it.

Sorry I upset your precious Mustang.

Final word: We live in a world of turns, curves, hazards, and congested traffic. You want what you want but I want a car that has better handling, features like limited slip and DSC, and great gas mileage. Because I'd rather buy a mini and burn the extra 3000 grand I saved rather than buy a Mustang GT.

Last edited by Mchoi32 : 03-24-2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:29 PM   #14
Bino
Written Off

The new Mini's rock. I have a pretty tall frame and I fit inside just fine, and the motor is so silky smooth, I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what I can put it in. I may have to build an Ariel Atom type vehicle to put that sweet little powerplant in... or maybe I'll buy Mini someday, regardless, I was very blown away by how it drives and handles (it was an "S").

Yeah, I have a serious problems with Mustangs as well... but I can't deny the bang-for-buck on the newest iteration.

Mustang GT: 0-60... 5.3sec.... ~$25K
Porsche Boxster S: 0-60... 5.3sec... ~$53K

Um... Yeah, pretty good deal performance wise. But, you'll still be the envy of every sorority girl (not because your car's fast and they respect it, but because your car's cute and they want one).
Bino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:28 PM   #15
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
I dunno, V8 is just too much for me.

Probably the truest thing you've said.

Quote:
You got to think about the extra fuel costs as well as the extra insurance costs as well as mainentance, oil changes which is free for a mini but the Ford warranty is not as good. If you don't think a V8 is expensive to maintain then atleast realize the mini is an INLINE 4, which takes almost no effort to maintain.

Are you on crack? it takes exactly the same effort to maintain a stock V8 as it does to maintain a stock I4. Well, you DO have to expend a couple extra minutes every hundred thousand miles changing 4 more spark plugs.. BFD.

I've driven a V6. I guess I would assume you knew I drove when when I said the suspension sucks. I don't just pull it out of my ass.[/quote]

The V6 is not the GT. I've driven both, however, and both are actually quite good.

Quote:
It still is a solid axle suspension which still sucks to any other Japanese or European car out there. (this might not be true, but don't take me literally. I am not making fun of you or nothing when I say I don't like the suspension.)

You know this might not be true, yet you want to state it.. that makes you an ignorant hater with zero clue, that would rather spout bullsh*t than be a well rounded automotive enthusiast.

Quote:
IThe car does one thing good, and that is it can go fast straight. But when you put it through winding curves and hills, I wouldn't bet my life or my insurance on it.

That's because you are a below aveage driver. There's a reason the Mustangs have been successful road racers for decades (and beat the BMW M3s their first event this year at the Daytona Grand Am Cup). ive' driven live axle cars for decades on back roads, windy mountain roads, and road race courses. You'd have to be completely incompetent not to be able to drive the new Mustang rapidly in those situations. Of course, you shouldn't be driving 10/10ths on public roads, and on the race track, ther'e s few bumps...

Still even the car in my sig has a live axle... IRS is great for a cushy ride on really bad roads. I've had it in a number of street cars and race cars, but it certainly ins't necessary. Especially since SVT found that the revised live axle actually works better than last year's top IRS Cobra, as well as being cheaper, lighter overall, and doens't have axle hop problems in the high power versions.

Quote:
Final word: We live in a world of turns, curves, hazards, and congested traffic. You want what you want but I want a car that has better handling, features like limited slip and DSC, and great gas mileage. Because I'd rather buy a mini and burn the extra 3000 grand I saved rather than buy a Mustang GT.

Good for you. I love Minis, and wouldn't mind having a Cooper S. Hell, I love the original Mini. I've had a lot of small cars, and a lot of high power cars. But your post shows you to be not very open minded or very knowledgeable. the Musntag has a limited slip available and traction control, but who really needs DSC?

Your problem is that you seem to feel you have to insullt everything that isn't your favorite in order to justify liking the car you do. Your poll shows that, it's either the best thing in the world or it's utter garbage.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote