Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2005, 02:28 AM   #1
rramirezjr34
CF Newbie

1992 Honda Accord LX Thermostat Removal

I am trying to locate where the thermostat is located to replace w/ a new one.
rramirezjr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 07:36 AM   #2
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramirezjr34
Look in Arvada or Boulder. I can see why you haven't received a reply. If you don't even have a clue where the thermostat should be located, you have no business dicking with your vehicle. I'm just a smartass, trying to be nice. Take it to a mechanic. you'll thank yourself later.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:48 PM   #3
cpprioli
CF Newbie

Quote:

In most cases, the thermostat will be in a housing that can be located by following the upper radiator hose back to its connection point on the engine. The thermostat's job is to regulate coolant flow through the radiator, and this can easily be accomplished by placing the stat in line at the water outlet to the radiator. The lower radiator hose usually goes to the low-pressure (inlet) side of the water pump.
cpprioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 06:06 PM   #4
rramirezjr34
CF Newbie

Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpprioli
In most cases, the thermostat will be in a housing that can be located by following the upper radiator hose back to its connection point on the engine. The thermostat's job is to regulate coolant flow through the radiator, and this can easily be accomplished by placing the stat in line at the water outlet to the radiator. The lower radiator hose usually goes to the low-pressure (inlet) side of the water pump.

CPPRIOLI,

Thank you! I found it and replaced it. My heater is now working. Thank you so much for your help! If there's ever a need or have any questions in regards to Mortgages feel free to buz me
Old 01-15-2005, 06:09 PM   #5
rramirezjr34
CF Newbie

Smart Ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
Look in Arvada or Boulder. I can see why you haven't received a reply. If you don't even have a clue where the thermostat should be located, you have no business dicking with your vehicle. I'm just a smartass, trying to be nice. Take it to a mechanic. you'll thank yourself later.

Lectroid,

I'm glad you got a laugh. Your right it is good for your health. I actually found it and replaced it. Take care man and keep on laughing!!

P.S. Nice Car!

rramirezjr34
Old 01-16-2005, 03:44 AM   #6
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Lectroid,

I'm glad you got a laugh. Your right it is good for your health. I actually found it and replaced it. Take care man and keep on laughing!!

P.S. Nice Car!

rramirezjr34
Man,you are totally amazing. You are in the wrong business. You should be an auto tech.You have to be one of the fastest learners I have ever had the pleasure to run into. Glad it's on the net.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:20 AM   #7
Spellbound
CF Newbie

Cant find 'er

Hey guys,
I tried to find the thermostat on my 1992 Honda Accord Lx and was unsuccessful. I followed the uppermost host that is about a foot long that goes from my radiator to my engine... no thermostat in that one... without recommending taking it to a mechanic can anyone point me in the right direction or post a pic??

Many thanks....
Spell

Edit: By the way, heat is not working, temp. gauge wont even go above the "c".....
Spellbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 03:28 AM   #8
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spellbound
Edit: By the way, heat is not working, temp. gauge wont even go above the "c".....

Well, if the coolant level is correct and you are having that problem you are looking at two likely causes. First off being a bad thermostat which you are apparently going after, and second off being a blockage.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 03:33 AM   #9
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
if it was there is blockage wouldn't it get hot, and go way above "C"?
Old 02-20-2005, 03:37 AM   #10
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
if it was there is blockage wouldn't it get hot, and go way above "C"?

If there is no circulation due to a blockage, the overly hot coolant wouldn't reach the temp. sender. And... it won't get to the heater core. Not very likely to happen. That's why I listed it last.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:40 AM   #11
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

temp sensor are on the block so unless the sensor is hooped , if there is no coolant touching it it will rise to hot, and if overly hot coolant is touching it... well it should read hot.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:45 AM   #12
Blue_Frog
CF Newbie

MAAAYYHH GAWWWD at all the helpful bitches here!!!! I just wish there were so many helpful bitches walking the way!!!!!!

You guys are helpful...n funny too...cheers
Blue_Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:13 AM   #13
Spellbound
CF Newbie

Thanks....

Thanks for all of the input guys. I think it is the thermostat, but I will check about the blockage.

So anyone wanna help me with the location of the thermostat (question in previous post)???
Spellbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:31 PM   #14
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
temp sensor are on the block so unless the sensor is hooped , if there is no coolant touching it it will rise to hot, and if overly hot coolant is touching it... well it should read hot.

Sensors need coolant flow to read. Just because the block is hot doesnt mean it will read off of the block. If that is what you mean...
Old 02-20-2005, 07:32 PM   #15
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

ok so once again follow your upper rad hose(the big basterd near the top of the rad) all the way to the engine block. take off the spring clamp or the hose clamp, move the hose aside cuz the thermostat is not inside the hose, now your left with a housing, there will be 2 bolts on either side of the housing, probably 12 or 14mm socket or wrench and pull the bolts out, the gasket might be a little stuck, make sure nothing else is holding it on first and just tap it off, inside will be a metal disc with a pellet and a spring(that would be her) grab it throw it in the garbage and put a new one in, honda's are somewhat tricky lining up the gasket and thermostat squarely in the housing, i just take a rubber band and loop it through the t-stat stick a pencil through it and wind it snug , bang there ya go , hands free and the t-stat will stay in place while you line up the housing, put some thread sealer on the bolts if you want and tourque it evenly, fill the system with coolant(and water mix)i think your car even has a bleed nipple on the housing just after the t-stat housing so open that bleed nipple and bleed the air out of the systems.