Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 05:36 PM   #16
DodgeRida67
Banned

My torque wrench says otherwise. I'm sure yours does too. And everyone elses. Also, my stack of books that give torque figures agree with me.

Last edited by DodgeRida67 : 03-16-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:36 PM   #17
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
My torque wrench says otherwise. I'm sure yours does too. And everyone elses. Also, my stack of books that give torque figures agree with me.

All I gotta say is..

Old 03-17-2005, 04:42 AM   #18
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I've said it plenty of times, but being the the immature and under educated child that you are you still don't get it. No matter how many times you repeat incorrect information it is still incorrect information.

I personally don't have the time, online research skills or inclination to link you to sites giving you in depth explanation to show you just how wrong you are. I certainly won't waste my time transcribing information from an engineering manual. It wouldn't matter anyway because you already have your mind made up. I'll keep it simple... A site that uses mostly single syllable words so it'll be easy for you to understand. Hell, even you refer people to it from time to time. Sorry, but facts are facts and once again you're wrong.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/fpte4.htm\

As for your little ass clown 88GrandPrixSE, before you decide that somebody is "owned" (talk about a sixth grade expression) make sure you know they're right. Don't you feel like a bit of an idiot now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lobster
Blah, blah, blah, blah..... ad infinitum.
You are a self proclaimed perfectionist, but it just doesn't wash. A perfectionist would ensure correct spelling, grammar, syntax, etc. Be that as it may your "25 to 50 ft lbs" valve covers WERE specifically addressed by me. You're just so perfect you didn't bother to read it. Now let's talk about your Lycoming valve cover gaskets. I have a 550 hp big block Mopar sitting in a car on my trailer at my shop as we speak. The valve covers or torqued to 115 lb/in, which is just a hair under 10 lb/ft and they're not going anywhere so why wouldn't it work on your 200 hp Lycoming. Hmmm... Hey, wait a minute. The rocker covers on the Lycoming are torqued to 100 lb/in if memory serves correctly. Yeah, I know these things because I've been an A&P certified mechanic for a long f*cking time. By the way, on that engine it doesn't really matter anyway. You see, they're safety wired. It might even be on your pre-flight checklist to look at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally
It's not a quotient so its Nm, sometimes annoted N-m and no pesky conventions like ft-lbs for tension and lbs-ft for torque or whichever way it is. We stopped using the FPS system in 1966 and moved to the MKS system.
Wally, wally, wally. You had to go and try to explain metric to them. I'll bet most of these pinheads think a newton meter is how much force it takes to move a fig newton about three feet.

Finally, just for grins, a picture of my new donkey. His name is Ted but when he walks away from me he makes me think of most of the people on this forum... A donkey's ass.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

Old 03-17-2005, 07:35 AM   #19
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Wally, wally, wally. You had to go and try to explain metric to them. I'll bet most of these pinheads think a newton meter is how much force it takes to move a fig newton about three feet.

I like that
Old 03-17-2005, 04:59 PM   #20
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I've said it plenty of times, but being the the immature and under educated child that you are you still don't get it. No matter how many times you repeat incorrect information it is still incorrect information.

I personally don't have the time, online research skills or inclination to link you to sites giving you in depth explanation to show you just how wrong you are. I certainly won't waste my time transcribing information from an engineering manual. It wouldn't matter anyway because you already have your mind made up. I'll keep it simple... A site that uses mostly single syllable words so it'll be easy for you to understand. Hell, even you refer people to it from time to time. Sorry, but facts are facts and once again you're wrong.

First:

Second: "No matter how many times you repeat incorrect information it is still incorrect information. "

Third: Every book I have and torque wrench I've ever used gives measurements in ft-lb. Until millions of manuals are stopped being printing "wrong", I'm going to continue saying "torque that lose screw in your head there to 90 ft-lbs, hobo"
Old 03-18-2005, 01:06 AM   #21
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
First:

Second: "No matter how many times you repeat incorrect information it is still incorrect information. "

Third: Every book I have and torque wrench I've ever used gives measurements in ft-lb. Until millions of manuals are stopped being printing "wrong", I'm going to continue saying "torque that lose screw in your head there to 90 ft-lbs, hobo"
As I've said before it's your right to be wrong and it's everyone elses right to not take you seriously.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-18-2005, 01:49 AM   #22
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

You're all arguing about something quite stupid!!!!

It could quite frankly be either.

It's not lb/ft or ft/lb because (as Wally pointed out) it's not a quotient, you're not dividing any two values. For example, speed can be km/h, or rev/min. This is how many revs are being done PER minute.

Torque is in Nm or lb-ft or ft-lb or whatever you want, because it's multiplying, not dividing. There are certain conventions (you generally use Nm, not mN), but it's still the same - it's the force applied (in lb or N or whatever), multiplied by the distance from the pivot point (in ft or m or whatever).

Last time I checked, 5 x 9 was EXACTLY THE SAME as 9 x 5.
However 5 / 9 is NOT THE SAME as 9 / 5.

So if it's a rate you're measuring (velocity, acceleration, idiotic sentences per post ... etc etc etc), then the units must be expressed in the right order, but if it's not a rate and there's no division involved, it really doesn't matter.

IT MEANS THE SAME THING!!!
Old 03-18-2005, 03:03 AM   #23
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

what is the big hairy deal here - all of my car manuals call give torque specs in ft-lbs while the engineering texts I used in engineering school called it lbf-ft (pounds force/ft). For all practical purposes, it means the same thing. We are becoming too "overtorqued" about this.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:11 AM   #24
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
what is the big hairy deal here - all of my car manuals call give torque specs in ft-lbs while the engineering texts I used in engineering school called it lbf-ft (pounds force/ft). For all practical purposes, it means the same thing. We are becoming too "overtorqued" about this.

Well I agree. Problem starts in when hobo starts in on the personal attacks. I don't take attitude from someone like him.

Last edited by DodgeRida67 : 03-18-2005 at 03:20 AM.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:15 AM   #25
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

lets be nice.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:39 AM   #26
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Well I agree. Problem starts in when hobo starts in on the personal attacks. I don't take attitude from someone like him.
Actually Dildo, I said nothing to you either directly or indirectly until after you addressed me first. Re-read the thread, the facts are on my side. You are the one who interjected yourself into the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
It's not lb/ft or ft/lb because (as Wally pointed out) it's not a quotient, you're not dividing any two values. For example, speed can be km/h, or rev/min.
Your are right on this point and I stand corrected as it is in fact not a quotient. Actually the way it should be written in the US is "100 lb.ft." I have gotten used to writing it with a slash in a shop environment simply because it's easier to read when scribbling something down for someone. But I know that's wrong and should have been more careful in public. Mea culpa.

Old 03-18-2005, 03:58 AM   #27
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Actually Dildo, I said nothing to you either directly or indirectly until after you addressed me first. Re-read the thread, the facts are on my side. You are the one who interjected yourself into the conversation.

This is the crap I'm talking about:
Quote:
So here's the deal. Before you make an attempt to correct me, make sure you have the facts. Once again you've assumed that you know something... And once again you've proven in a very public way that you don't. Remember that the long time members of this forum can still recall when you where as bad as CarExpert... and you're not much better now. DildoRida67, or maybe Chicken Little, is back! Have a wonderful day, and don't forget to attempt to flame me. I'll be waiting for it, you're so very predictable.

That has zero to do with our conversation about torque mearsure. It's bullshit. This is the kind of shit that makes a forum... well, shit.

And oh yeah, about the part where you said something about me lying about you saying you plagiarized car-craft. "Your" artical matched theirs 100% without any inconsistencies. I know this, Wally knows this (he is the one who informed me about it - I still believe I have the PM) and JanieR36 knows about it. All the people who read your artical and Car-Crafts. One other person that knows they match, Y-O-U.

Last edited by DodgeRida67 : 03-18-2005 at 04:01 AM.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:06 AM   #28
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
This is the crap I'm talking about:

That has zero to do with our conversation about torque mearsure. It's bullshit. This is the kind of shit that makes a forum... well, shit.

And oh yeah, about the part where you said something about me lying about me saying you plagiarized car-craft. "Your" artical matched theirs 100% without any inconsistencies. I know this, Wally knows this (he is the one who informed me about it - I still believe I have the PM) and JanieR36 knows about it. You know, all the people who read your artical and Car-Crafts. One other person that knows they match, Y-O-U.
Ah yes, the old unwarranted personal attack. Strange how you accuse me of having an attitude and attacking you when it's the other way around. That's okay, your schoolboy bully tactics pale next to your insignificance.

So here's something else concerning the matter at hand. Pay special attention to the fifth paragraph. Sorry if the words are too big for you to comprehend sweetie.

http://www.epi-eng.com/PwTq.htm

Old 03-18-2005, 04:13 AM   #29
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Ah yes, the old unwarranted personal attack. Strange how you accuse me of having an attitude and attacking you when it's the other way around. That's okay, your schoolboy bully tactics pale next to your insignificance.

So here's something else concerning the matter at hand. Pay special attention to the fifth paragraph. Sorry if the words are too big for you to comprehend sweetie.

http://www.epi-eng.com/PwTq.htm

No personal attack there.

I guess you are refering to paragraph 5 as...

"A few basic definitions will help make the issue clear. First, TORQUE is defined as a FORCE around a given point, applied at a RADIUS from that point. Note that the unit of TORQUE is one pound-foot (often misstated), while the unit of WORK is one foot-pound."

Right? Well, I said earlier...

Quote:
Work and Torque aren't exactly the same thing. Torque is the lb-ft. Work is the ft-lb. Movement must occur for work to be done, torque doesn't have to have movement.
http://car-forums.com/talk/showpost....9&postcount=33
Old 03-18-2005, 04:21 AM   #30
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
No personal attack there.

I guess you are refering to paragraph 5 as...

"A few basic definitions will help make the issue clear. First, TORQUE is defined as a FORCE around a given point, applied at a RADIUS from that point. Note that the unit of TORQUE is one pound-foot (often misstated), while the unit of WORK is one foot-pound."

Right? Well, I said earlier...

http://car-forums.com/talk/showpost....9&postcount=33
Thank you. When torquing a bolt you are only doing work until the bolt stops, i.e. when the torque wrench clicks. At that point you are only applying force. It is the potential for work, hence the terminology lb-ft. Remember "TORQUE is defined as a FORCE around a given point, applied at a RADIUS from that point. Have you got it now?

Closed Thread