Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
xtremez2k
CF Newbie

auto neutral to drive

hey guys, i havent tried it yet....but was wondering if you drove an automatic...were stopped....revved at neutral then shifted into drive would you get a boost? and if so, how much damage would it cause lol?
thanks

-xtremez2k
xtremez2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 08:11 PM   #2
dfownz
CF Newbie

yes its called a nuetral drop.

Not sure why its bad, but I will tell you to NEVER DO IT!

Its horrible for your car especially if you do it at high revs. You have an auto, drive it like one. Get a manual and then drop the clutch.
dfownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 11:02 PM   #3
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

It's very hard on the trans. Your engine's going at 5 grand and so is your trans, but you're not moving, then you drop it into gear and your trans all of a sudden will drop to say 1 grand in an instant. That's when things break.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:38 AM   #4
xtremez2k
CF Newbie

thx

yeah i was thinking it would do quite a bit of damage. i guess i've gotten desperate cuz its an auto lol. its a fairly decent car.....its just i wish i'd be able to race with skill instead of slamming on the gas. lol. thanks guys
xtremez2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:52 AM   #5
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremez2k
yeah i was thinking it would do quite a bit of damage. i guess i've gotten desperate cuz its an auto lol. its a fairly decent car.....its just i wish i'd be able to race with skill instead of slamming on the gas. lol. thanks guys

Rev it to like 3000rpm and hold the rpms constant and shift to drive while giving it full throttle. I think thats a good way to launch
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:03 AM   #6
srober32
CF Addict

Doing any kind of neutral drop puts huge amounts of strain on your driveline and not just your tranny. We are talking broken flexplates, u-joints, rear ends, or on your FWD cars CV joints.

Last edited by srober32 : 03-06-2005 at 06:04 AM.
srober32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 04:02 AM   #7
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Neutral Bombs are quite stressful on driveline parts and if you're driveline holds together, you'll simply smoke the tires. When you see people at the 'strip pulling wheel-stands off the line, they're not neutral bombing it, although it may sound like it...they use what's known as a transbrake and have high-stall convertors.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:58 PM   #8
Sniper1
CF Newbie

Anouther way to do a neutral drop would be to hold the brake down to the floor with your left foot. make sure the car is in drive befor you do this. then reve the engine to high rpms and when the light turns green floor it and let go of the brake. you will wear the brakes down faster doing this then usall so dont do it all the time. But what ever you dont go from neutral to drive.
Sniper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 09:16 PM   #9
VMJYogi
CF Addict

How about this...don't do it period. I'll tell you this, if you are so desperate as to look cool then i pray that you never get a fast car cause u will end up a statistic. My friend loves spinning tires and shit but he is the worst driver i know because he is very stupid. I'm modding my car and everyday he asks to drive it and everyday i say hell no cause he is stupid. Shifting from neutral to drive puts hell on the car. And holding the brakes while pressing the gas?! You know that wasn't designed into the car's abilities. I say save until you can get a car that will be a respectable racing vehicle. It doesn't have to look nice even just so long as you earn respect in it. Doin all that fancy shit doesn't earn respect, it just makes you look stupid to all the real drivers that exist out there. Your time will come if you wait. By the way how old are you?

EDIT: As a side note just to look out for you. NEVER LISTEN TO CAREXPERT!!! He is a how do you say...dumbass.

Self-appointed anchorman of CF. I bring the news with a savvy tongue b*tch!
Now an ever prouder DEP of the USMC
I get fresh from Yankee Stadium to the Gardens i beg your pardon, stop it, my closet Macys mens department pants shirt scarf phone if you checkin get the scoop on the cologne belt and shoe section fur for fur baby baby you'll go stir crazy
VMJYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 03:26 AM   #10
Sniper1
CF Newbie

When i had my honda braking and putting on the gas at the same time when i was stoped gave me a little boost only because i had FWD but if i do it in my1988 535is BMW thats RWD my car gets off the line slower and the tires burn out.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:09 AM   #11
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper1
Anouther way to do a neutral drop would be to hold the brake down to the floor with your left foot. make sure the car is in drive befor you do this. then reve the engine to high rpms and when the light turns green floor it and let go of the brake. you will wear the brakes down faster doing this then usall so dont do it all the time. But what ever you dont go from neutral to drive.

That's not a neutral drop.

That's just an idiots version of a brake torque. You keep your foot on the brake and put the gas to the floor.

FWD and RWD have nothing to do with accel. Unless you're putting a lot of power to the ground in theory FWD would be better, in THEORY (more weight over drive wheels), but since it's much for fragile, doesn't work that way. In most cars cases doing a burn-out will speed you up faster than if you didn't spin the tires. Though if it can be avoided it is better (ie. bigger tire). You probably just didn't notice the gain.

After all's said and done, both brake torques and neutral drops are just retarded ways to show off and should never be used on the streets, but it seems everybody wants attention now'a'days with their body kits and 3 foot deck spoilers. If you want to be "hardcore" just get a normal car with a 4 or 5 speed, don't try to show off in the middle of the street, blend in. Then go to a parking lot with buds and screw around where it's safe and legal to an extent. Or better yet, save it for the track.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:38 AM   #12
jasonk
CF Newbie

ive seen videos where the car lurches forward like a foot and then stops and the tires just keep going? how do they do that? and it was with a stick
jasonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:23 AM   #13
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonk
ive seen videos where the car lurches forward like a foot and then stops and the tires just keep going? how do they do that? and it was with a stick

What do you mean? Like at a drag strip? It's probably just the initial torque they put on it. If that's what you're talking about, they just give it full throttle, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:24 PM   #14
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
FWD and RWD have nothing to do with accel. Unless you're putting a lot of power to the ground in theory FWD would be better, in THEORY (more weight over drive wheels), but since it's much for fragile, doesn't work that way. In most cars cases doing a burn-out will speed you up faster than if you didn't spin the tires. Though if it can be avoided it is better (ie. bigger tire). You probably just didn't notice the gain.

Wrong. FWD and RWD have everything to do with acceleration. when you floor it, you probably have around a 70-30 weight distribution. that's either 70% of the weight on the power bearing wheels, or 30% of the weight on the power bearing wheels. If you're in a honda civic EX, then having FWD would be better than RWD, because it's underpowered, and you can't really spin the tires even though it's FWD. RWD on an underpowered car (i.e Ford mustang V6), is even more stupid, because you wouldn't be able to burn rubber if the power was to the front wheels, and you definitly wouldn't be able to burn rubber if it was to the rear wheels. That's why the ford taurus 3.8L v6 is faster than the ford mustang 3.8L V6. By the way, we're talking that all the cars are street autos.

FWD is only better in the mid range, when you're already at 30 mph, so that you don't have any problems with traction, and you'll have less weight on the power bearing wheels. Think of underpowered RWD as running with weights on your shoulders, and FWD = running with worn down shoes. That's as close as I can come to explaining FWD and RWD traction on unerpowered cars.

BTW = I know sniper1 in real life, and we do mess around with our cars in safe locations, such as fry's parking lot.

Quote:
After all's said and done, both brake torques and neutral drops are just retarded ways to show off and should never be used on the streets, but it seems everybody wants attention now'a'days with their body kits and 3 foot deck spoilers. If you want to be "hardcore" just get a normal car with a 4 or 5 speed, don't try to show off in the middle of the street, blend in. Then go to a parking lot with buds and screw around where it's safe and legal to an extent. Or better yet, save it for the track.

We do mess around with our cars only in safe locations, and you're generalising us as ricers, which we definitley are not.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:41 PM   #15
Sniper1
CF Newbie

I must agree with Godlus because the FWD and RWD cars have alot to do with how you drive the car and what you can do with it. RWD is good for off roading and drag racing where as the FWD is good for turning on long distance races. But the RWD is good for drifting because the FWD cars slow the turing ratio down and the RWD puts more traction to the front so that the back end can slide and the front stays almost stationary.