Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2005, 01:17 AM   #1
Mayor Red Beard
CF Newbie

Basic Understanding of how cars work

I did a search on this for about 20 minutes, and suprisingly I was not able to find a thread about the basics of how a car works. I do not yet own a car but will be relativly soon, but before I do I want to have AT LEAST a basic understanding of how cars work.

1. What are the main parts of a car, that well, make it go. Everything from how gas a liquid, is turned into mechanical energy and makes the car go.

2. What are some common problems (other then the tank is empty ) for why a car may brake down, and how can you fix them?
Mayor Red Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:14 AM   #2
Streetstyle54
CF Newbie

go to www.howstuffworks.com they have info for different cars and how the engine works and stuff
Streetstyle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:39 AM   #3
Mayor Red Beard
CF Newbie

thanks, just finished reading it, everything in a car is pretty easy to learn except an engine. Their was like 10 pages on it on howstuffworks and about 20 pages of side pages about ignition systems and camshafts and stuff. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:26 AM   #4
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Red Beard
everything in a car is pretty easy to learn except an engine

Actually, going through school, I've found that the engine is one of the simplest components of the car.

Engine support (lubrication, cooling, etc.), power steering, power brakes, suspension, drivelines etc. are all way more complicated.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 11:22 PM   #5
325iSe30
CF Newbie

-_-

as for common problems.....

CHECK
YOUR
OIL
325iSe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 11:25 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325iSe30
-_-

as for common problems.....

CHECK
YOUR
OIL
I can't help myself, I'm just compelled to ask. How do "common problems" relate to checking your oil? Please comment.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 11:29 PM   #7
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I can't help myself, I'm just compelled to ask. How do "common problems" relate to checking your oil? Please comment.

Maybe cause there may not be enough motor oil to lubercate the engine.
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 11:32 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
Maybe cause there may not be enough motor oil to lubercate the engine.
Or maybe I didn't ask the question of you. How can you pretend to answer for someone else... And when did not having enough oil to lubricate the engine become a "common problem"? Think, type, submit, or maybe just go away.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-19-2005, 11:36 PM   #9
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Or maybe I didn't ask the question of you. How can you pretend to answer for someone else... And when did not having enough oil to lubricate the engine become a "common problem"? Think, type, submit, or maybe just go away.

I know you didnt ask me but thats obviously what he ment. Everyone has to check their oil level occausonly cause there might be a leak so isnt that common. Ok ill go away,
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 11:41 PM   #10
325iSe30
CF Newbie

no really, carexpert IS me

maybe not common

but if you're an idiot and dont check your oil you can really goof things up

ESPECIALLY if you are a new driver, and dont know much about cars/engines
Old 03-19-2005, 11:42 PM   #11
325iSe30
CF Newbie

note: carexpert is not actually me
Old 03-19-2005, 11:50 PM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325iSe30
no really, carexpert IS me

maybe not common

but if you're an idiot and dont check your oil you can really goof things up

ESPECIALLY if you are a new driver, and dont know much about cars/engines
If you're a new driver and don't know much about cars or engines you might cause more problems than you prevent by checking your oil. The stories I could tell you about people who just know something is right... Even when they don't know what they're looking at.

The first step is to LEARN about your car and it's proper care and feeding, then start taking small steps towards it maintenance.

Old 03-20-2005, 02:04 AM   #13
Mayor Red Beard
CF Newbie

thats why i', hear, to learn aboutcars in general, and my car before i buy it. My father said that an alternator is a common problem. But doesn't an alternator simply ignite the spark plugs in a engine? If your car brakes down would it even be possible to fix an alternator? I'll be honest, I'm a total newbie to cars, alls I know is what I have read, no experince. Heck I don't even know how to change the oil in my car.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:14 AM   #14
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Red Beard
thanks, just finished reading it, everything in a car is pretty easy to learn except an engine. Their was like 10 pages on it on howstuffworks and about 20 pages of side pages about ignition systems and camshafts and stuff. Thanks for the link.

errr. Just finished reading the ENTIRE web site on cars in 3 hours? Try again. But, it's a good site to learn from.

here's another tip; whenever there's a conversation of people talking about cars, listen, don't talk, just listen, and take mental note of any words you don't understand. Check them on the interent, or any books your local library may have. Just sit back and listen/read to some of the threads going on in here and in the repair section, and look up anything you can't understand.

Sounds like you're still fairly young, any automotive classes in your school district? Try taking those, it'll help you more than any online forum can.

Quote:
thats why i', hear, to learn aboutcars in general, and my car before i buy it. My father said that an alternator is a common problem. But doesn't an alternator simply ignite the spark plugs in a engine? If your car brakes down would it even be possible to fix an alternator? I'll be honest, I'm a total newbie to cars, alls I know is what I have read, no experince. Heck I don't even know how to change the oil in my car.

http://www.misterfixit.com/alterntr.htm

Just use google, a another good way to learn about anything.

And finally, don't be expected to be spoon-fed information here, as you won't be. Just walking onto this forum and stating; "Somebody teach me everything about cars." is going to get you nowhere.

You sound a lot like carexpert, by the way...............
Old 03-20-2005, 04:28 AM   #15
Mayor Red Beard
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
errr. Just finished reading the ENTIRE web site on cars in 3 hours? Try again. But, it's a good site to learn from.

here's another tip; whenever there's a conversation of people talking about cars, listen, don't talk, just listen, and take mental note of any words you don't understand. Check them on the interent, or any books your local library may have. Just sit back and listen/read to some of the threads going on in here and in the repair section, and look up anything you can't understand.

Sounds like you're still fairly young, any automotive classes in your school district? Try taking those, it'll help you more than any online forum can.

http://www.misterfixit.com/alterntr.htm

Just use google, a another good way to learn about anything.

And finally, don't be expected to be spoon-fed information here, as you won't be. Just walking onto this forum and stating; "Somebody teach me everything about cars." is going to get you nowhere.

You sound a lot like carexpert, by the way...............

First off i did try googling it, yielding no results, i'll admit i only did 2 searches with different phrasing. I don't expect to be spoonfed anything, just wanted to know about common problems when I started this. Are you making fun of me when you said i sounded like a carexpert? And no I did not read the entire site on cars, just this article http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine1.htm and most the articles it linked to.