Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2005, 08:29 PM   #1
JaneiR36
CF Freak

Disabling a bathroom vent?

I've got one that is loud as hell, and seems only good for pissing me off early in the morning, as well as transporting smoke, stale odors and allergens from other people's apartments.

I was doing some reading on it yesterday, and it seems it's necessary for removing moisture from the bathroom so mold doesn't grow and destroy the house. Is this really necessary?

I really want to just disable the damn thing (it's an old apartment, the vent and light have only one switch so they come on together!!! ) as well as close up the vent with a plastic bag like I used to do in college when my roommates would turn the thermostat too high or too low.

Would this really cause any serious problems you can think of? And also, how may I go about disabling this vent, any ideas?
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 08:33 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneiR36
I've got one that is loud as hell, and seems only good for pissing me off early in the morning, as well as transporting smoke, stale odors and allergens from other people's apartments.

I was doing some reading on it yesterday, and it seems it's necessary for removing moisture from the bathroom so mold doesn't grow and destroy the house. Is this really necessary?

I really want to just disable the damn thing (it's an old apartment, the vent and light have only one switch so they come on together!!! ) as well as close up the vent with a plastic bag like I used to do in college when my roommates would turn the thermostat too high or too low.

Would this really cause any serious problems you can think of? And also, how may I go about disabling this vent, any ideas?
Remove cover (screen, grill, grate), disconnect one wire, install piece of cardboard between ceiling and cover before reinstalling.

Make sure power is turned of before touching the wiring and use wire nuts to dead end the wires.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 08:38 PM   #3
JaneiR36
CF Freak

Cool! This will probably get done before the weekend runs out. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Cool! This will probably get done before the weekend runs out. Thanks!
You're welcome, but... Don't blame me when you stink up the place.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-19-2005, 11:05 PM   #5
JaneiR36
CF Freak

lol...

either way, that was probably the most productive 10 minutes I'll spend doing anything this weekend! Hopefully once my air purifier has got going a couple days, the smoke stench will be completely out
Old 03-19-2005, 11:13 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
lol...

either way, that was probably the most productive 10 minutes I'll spend doing anything this weekend! Hopefully once my air purifier has got going a couple days, the smoke stench will be completely out
What kind (brand) of purifier?

Old 03-20-2005, 12:11 AM   #7
JaneiR36
CF Freak

Holmes 240. I just picked up a cheap one
Old 03-20-2005, 12:16 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Holmes 240. I just picked up a cheap one
Good. I'm happy for you that you didn't waste your money on the one that Sharper Image sells. Big money for nothing except cool commercials.

Old 03-20-2005, 12:39 AM   #9
JaneiR36
CF Freak

lol...... I did see some bad reviews on that one, although their little plug in model for small spaces had me going for a while. I might have purchased it if it were available in stores.