Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2005, 04:41 AM   #1
EvilPodAE
CF Enthusiast

Question. Car Starting

I have a 1993 Mercury Topaz 4 cylinder. I noticed this morning when I went out to start me car it took a little longer to start and for some reason the revs went up to 5,000 when usually it only goes between 1500-2000 and then drop down to the normal idle of 1000. Is it something I should worry about or what? It is starting to get warmer here now and the mornings are cold but it would start regulary when it was alot colder.

I have recently changed the spark plugs, air filter, wires and fuel filter.

It seems to start like when I first changed the fuel filter. You know when the fuel has to run through the filter and everything and it takes awhile to run over.
EvilPodAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:39 PM   #2
EvilPodAE
CF Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 03-20-2005, 06:56 PM   #3
stang_chic
CF Newbie

OKay well my boyfriend has a 1991 ford Probe and he was having problems with it turning over. his was like he was getting a little clicking sound and thats it. well i found out that its his alternator. a bad alternator leads to a bad battery and a bad battery leads to a bad alternator. ita a big cycle. so what it sounds like it that maybe your starter or alternator is going bad. but i also found out that if it doesnt start right away that you need to just keep trying cause theres little brushes inside there and sometimes they get dirty and with you trying over and over they will final touch. so try that first see if you can just keep trying and maybe take your battery down to pepboys and let them charge it and see if your batterys bad. thanks and if you have anymore questions let me know.
Stang_chic
stang_chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 07:13 PM   #4
mellowyellow
CF Newbie

reply 93 merc topaz high idle

when putting the fuel filter on, you put it on in the right direction? if so maybe replacing your pcv valve might help.
mellowyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:43 PM   #5
EvilPodAE
CF Enthusiast

Well the situation has just gotten 10 fold worse. The car wont even start now. Lights work.. Tried a portable jumper. Still doesnt start. Someone mentioned to me it could be the starter. It seems to only start selectivly. Like sometimes it will turn over other times all you get is a click. This sucks.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:19 AM   #6
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_chic
OKay well my boyfriend has a 1991 ford Probe and he was having problems with it turning over. his was like he was getting a little clicking sound and thats it. well i found out that its his alternator. a bad alternator leads to a bad battery and a bad battery leads to a bad alternator. ita a big cycle. so what it sounds like it that maybe your starter or alternator is going bad. but i also found out that if it doesnt start right away that you need to just keep trying cause theres little brushes inside there and sometimes they get dirty and with you trying over and over they will final touch. so try that first see if you can just keep trying and maybe take your battery down to pepboys and let them charge it and see if your batterys bad. thanks and if you have anymore questions let me know.
Stang_chic

Ummm.... A bad alt/batt wouldn't cause the RPM's to jump.

It could very well be your starter. That won't be why the RPM's jumped dramatically though.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:37 AM   #7
EvilPodAE
CF Enthusiast

What about the cylinoud... All I hear now is a click. I am dumbfounded.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:09 AM   #8
the lobster
CF Addict

check the starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPodAE
What about the cylinoud... All I hear now is a click. I am dumbfounded.
it is hard to tell sometimes whether it is the solenoid,or the starter.alot of older fords have a separate solenoid,it is not part of the starter.12 volts from the battery goes to it,and a lead from the output of it goes to the starter.there is a screw terminal with a push on type wire connector.this is the control voltage.when 12 v goes to it the solenoid closes,sending the volts to the starter.if you have a bad starter,sometimes banging on it will make it work.the best solution is to replace the starter ,if you are keeping the car.getting a used part is not a bad idea ,if the car it came from did not have that much kms on it.the problem is that the labor is about an hour,and you are best to put in a remanufactured one.
the lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:36 AM   #9
EvilPodAE
CF Enthusiast

Thanks for all your replies everyone. I have one more thing to add. Now I noticed that when I try to start the car the clock light goes out when trying to start.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:54 AM   #10
osborste
the canuck tech

sound like a bad connection recheck the connections at the starter and battery make sure they are clean and tight

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:32 PM   #11
the lobster
CF Addict

Jump It With A Good Battery

The Voltage Is Being Pulled Down Way To Far.jump Another Battery
Across It .those Probes Are Battery Killers.if They Sit,the Current Draw Does In The Battery In 2 Weeks.you Would Think The
Stove Was Left Running.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:57 AM   #12
EvilPodAE
CF Enthusiast

It is officially the starter. I pulled the starter out this morning hooked it up to a portable battery jumper.. it engages but does not spin... Tried a few times banging it and so forth but to no effect. Left the starter out put it in a box. Thursday I am going to get a new starter and hopefully that will be it. It was alot easier getting the starter out then I thought. Wouldnt have been able to do it without my brothers help. So hopefully by late Thursday morning my car will be running again.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:47 AM   #13
the lobster
CF Addict

Take Apart The Starter

Quote:
It is officially the starter. I pulled the starter out this morning hooked it up to a portable battery jumper.. it engages but does not spin... Tried a few times banging it and so forth but to no effect. Left the starter out put it in a box. Thursday I am going to get a new starter and hopefully that will be it. It was alot easier getting the starter out then I thought. Wouldnt have been able to do it without my brothers help. So hopefully by late Thursday morning my car will be running again.
WHY NOT TAKE APART THE STARTER AND SEE WHAT IS THE TROUBLE.YOU HAVE NOT MUCH TO LOSE.IF YOU CANNOT FIX IT,JUST TAKE IT TO THEM AND GET AN EXCHANGE.IF YOU GET ANOTHER USED ONE,YOU MIGHT BE DOING IT AGAIN.I WOULD GO FOR A FORD REMANUFACTURED ONE .
Old 03-23-2005, 06:00 PM   #14
EvilPodAE
CF Enthusiast

Its a non-servicable one. It is also the original Motorcraft one and has 76000 miles on it... I just feel better going out and getting a new warrantied one for $100.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:49 AM   #15
the lobster
CF Addict

great.

Quote:
Its a non-servicable one. It is also the original Motorcraft one and has 76000 miles on it... I just feel better going out and getting a new warrantied one for $100.
glad you found the problem.my toyota starter has 40 dollars worth of contacts.that is all that goes on those after 12 years.not bad .