Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2005, 05:32 AM   #1
adamc44
CF Freak

72 malibu

my grandmaw has a 72 malibu chevelle that belonged to my great grandmaw. it has a 307. shes had it sitting in the garage FOREVER. well, shes getting around to selling it. its a baby blue 2 door with mint interior. it has 43000 original miles on it. i cant find any rust, or dents. it does have a slight scrape on the passenger side door. what do you guys figure its worth? i want to keep it in the family. id say the 307 is locked. it hasnt been started in years. any help would be great. ill try and get pics sometime to post. thanks

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 01:15 PM   #2
corbett_auto
CF Addict

I think you can get it back into shape easily. All you need is a sledge hammer and a little bondo.
corbett_auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
adamc44
CF Freak

heh.. i dont think so

Old 07-23-2005, 02:58 PM   #4
FordFromHell351
Banned

I would take it. Its probably worth around....$3,500-$4,500. I wouldnt go for anymore than that. One way to tell in the engine is locked is to try and start it or reach down and try and turn the crank by hand.
FordFromHell351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 10:53 PM   #5
adamc44
CF Freak

just got the pics here they are

Old 07-24-2005, 10:57 PM   #6
adamc44
CF Freak

im trying to convince her to sell it to me in the back window. i put that on there when i was probably 18 or so.

Old 07-25-2005, 01:53 AM   #7
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

AHHH OLD LADY CAR!!!! lol j/k. Its not that bad, and looks pretty original. Would make for a nice easy little project for someone.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 04:11 PM   #8
green machine
CF Newbie

2500 or so

i just picked up a 71 with a running 350 s door no rust new paint and interior for 4800 no malibu with bad engine and been sitting for a long time is worth more than 3000 all seals brake rear end engine are possibly bad!! give grandmaw 200 and make everyone happy just my 2cents
green machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 04:13 PM   #9
green machine
CF Newbie

sorry meant 2000

Old 07-25-2005, 08:29 PM   #10
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by green machine
i just picked up a 71 with a running 350 s door no rust new paint and interior for 4800 no malibu with bad engine and been sitting for a long time is worth more than 3000 all seals brake rear end engine are possibly bad!! give grandmaw 200 and make everyone happy just my 2cents
Well i kinda disagree here, it really depends on how desireable the car is. It might not be worth much to you but to some people it could be worth alot. It is also (by the looks of it) all original, rust free and low ORIGINAL miles on it. IMO.

Old 07-25-2005, 09:24 PM   #11
72firebird
Banned

yea. if it is mostly original you could probably sell it to a restoration nut for more than 4 gs with the way the muscle car market is now. but most people who could care less about originality wouldnt pay more than 4. for a lil over 2 gs and a little elbow grease can turn that into a respectable car. the paint doesnt look too bad except all the dust. a new engine and tranny, and maybe a few other minor things it might need to get it running again but other than that its in good shape for a barn car
72firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:40 AM   #12
green machine
CF Newbie

all original values

i buy restore and sell alot of older muscle cars mostly chevys and i can tell you the only all original cars that are worth more with the original engines say are the rarer lower production number cars not the bench seat 307 grandmaw car!! anyone lookin for an original numbers matching car is lookin for an ss bigblock or a rare heavy chevy with the 400 and such! this is a very common mistake made by alot of people thinking they hit the lottery cause they found and original 307 car with the original engine, anyone interested in a car like this one is thinking of new engine probably a built 350 and arent gonna pay more just cause of the 307!!!to many people watch barret jackson auctions and say wow that all original ss 454 car brought 45000 my original 307 should be worth 8000 wrong answer!!! im not knockin your car bud its almost exactly like the last one i bought give granny 2000 and with another 2 you could have a really bitchin lil ride !! take alot of pictures from start to finish of the work u do and save receipts it will increase the sale value if and when u sell it!!! its nice to find a low mileage ride but they do need alot of work if not propelly maintained!!
Old 07-26-2005, 01:54 AM   #13
green machine
CF Newbie

car crazy89 rust free??

this is another misconception alot of people have that if there isnt a big rust hole on the out side of a car that its a rustfree car!!! wrong!! i can tell by the engine bay and fenderwell pics that it is a clean car but far from rust free!!!!rust free means show room new to someone lookin to pay big bucks for a car in that condition, such as a frame off restoration frame blasted and repainted etc!!sorry it just chaps my ass the way people throw the terms rust free and all original around
Old 07-26-2005, 02:08 AM   #14
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

There may be peeled paint areas which of course will have surface rust underneath but since the car would be painted anyways that rust would be cleaned up easily (since its only surface). From the pics, the body looks great, far better then alot of original cars from then and of course the engine bay wont look beautiful cause its not clean same with under the car but everything looks easily cureable (mostly suraface so just sand off). Your right about how it wont be worth a WHOLE lot cause it is more of a basic model and the 307 isnt the most desireable engine but like i said, to some people it might be valuable for some reason. I could easily be wrong here considering i'm just starting out but i cant be too far off.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:38 AM   #15
adamc44
CF Freak

well i posted this car on a chevelle restoration page and got ranges from 1000 all the way to 6000. i figured, if anyone, they would know what they were talking about. besides it is rust free for AN OHIO CAR. i dont live in arizona or texas where they are in everyones backyard. its hard to find a decent ride around here like this that is complete. ill keep you guys informed on my progress. thanks for the responses. lata