Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2005, 12:03 AM   #1
Fgreco
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 128
sqeeky breaks/drums

I had sqeeky breaks now they dont sqeek anymore so do you think maybe a pebble that was cousing the sqeek dug into my drum? They sqeeked more in humidity or moisture.
Fgreco is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 12:11 AM   #2
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fgreco
I had sqeeky breaks now they dont sqeek anymore so do you think maybe a pebble that was cousing the sqeek dug into my drum? They sqeeked more in humidity or moisture.

Glaze breaking the pads or shoes could be an option, or just an overhaul might be worth considering.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 12:11 AM   #3
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
My brakes "sqeek" too. Proper spelling is "Squeek" haha.

Anyway, lots of brakes will squeek when wet. Or if you have cheap pads, they will cause it to squeek also.

This will be unlikely (because it does it more when damp), but the pads themselves may be low, if your pads have the wear indicator clip on them it will cause a squeeking sound, just check the pads and see if that indicator is touching the rotor, or, if the pads are thinned.

Your pads are probably just cheap.
__________________
88GrandPrixSE is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 04:45 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
My brakes "sqeek" too. Proper spelling is "Squeek" haha.

Anyway, lots of brakes will squeek when wet. Or if you have cheap pads, they will cause it to squeek also.

This will be unlikely (because it does it more when damp), but the pads themselves may be low, if your pads have the wear indicator clip on them it will cause a squeeking sound, just check the pads and see if that indicator is touching the rotor, or, if the pads are thinned.

Your pads are probably just cheap.
Idiot. If you're going to ridicule someone, at least be as smart as they are. The word is spelled SQUEAK.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 04:46 AM   #5
the lobster
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 263
moisture can do it

if your pads are worn down to the "squeelers" they will make a noise alright,but will stay there.moisture forms a small layer of rust on the surface.
if you have semi metallic pads,the metal from the pads mixes,causing quite a noise.it will usually go away once the brakes are used a few times.ceramic pads are nice,but expensive.since the use of asbestos is becoming not so friendly,these semi metal pads are.FORD actually consider the noise "normal" on some of their cars.get a good quality soft pad.the pads wear faster and create brake dust"bmw syndrome" but do not build up as much heat in your rotor.,and they are quieter.P.S.,why dump on that guy hobo,it was a correction with a laugh beside it.squuuuuueeeeeek.like nails on chalkboard.

Last edited by the lobster : 03-21-2005 at 04:50 AM.
the lobster is offline  
Old 03-21-2005, 04:53 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by the lobster
if your pads are worn down to the "squeelers" they will make a noise alright,but will stay there.moisture forms a small layer of rust on the surface.
if you have semi metallic pads,the metal from the pads mixes,causing quite a noise.it will usually go away once the brakes are used a few times.ceramic pads are nice,but expensive.since the use of asbestos is becoming not so friendly,these semi metal pads are.FORD actually consider the noise "normal" on some of their cars.get a good quality soft pad.the pads wear faster and create brake dust"bmw syndrome" but do not build up as much heat in your rotor.,and they are quieter.P.S.,why dump on that guy hobo,it was a correction with a laugh beside it.squuuuuueeeeeek.like nails on chalkboard.
He said drums. When was the last time you saw drum brakes with pads, wear indicators or "squeelers" for those less technically adept?
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 01:34 AM   #7
Fgreco
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 128
well I can tell you one thing what I was doing was cleaning my car and rims wich the rims suck anyway lol. So the fluid I was spaying on them went on the, well,...it looks like the breaks. Yes the thing that looks like the breaks were rusty now they are nice and broken in I would say. They look clean, I dont drive the car a lot the most I drive is like 4,000 miles a year. The car laying there might get it rusty I guess. I warm up the car every other day. Give me your impute it is greatly appreciated.
Fgreco is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 01:55 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fgreco
well I can tell you one thing what I was doing was cleaning my car and rims wich the rims suck anyway lol. So the fluid I was spaying on them went on the, well,...it looks like the breaks. Yes the thing that looks like the breaks were rusty now they are nice and broken in I would say. They look clean, I dont drive the car a lot the most I drive is like 4,000 miles a year. The car laying there might get it rusty I guess. I warm up the car every other day. Give me your impute it is greatly appreciated.
From your very weak description in that post it sounds as though you might be speaking about disc brakes and not drums. We'll probably never know.

Input. When you say you warm your car up every other day, does that mean you take it out and give it a good drive? Or does is mean you turn the key and let it run a short while? If that's the case then stop. It is not only a waste of gas but it is also hard on the charging system depending on how long you let it run and it is most certainly hard on the internal engine components due mostly to the fact that the oil never gets hot enough to burn off contaminants. A good drive once a week, or even once a month, is better than a short start, idle, shut down every other day.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 01:17 PM   #9
the lobster
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 263
read it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
He said drums. When was the last time you saw drum brakes with pads, wear indicators or "squeelers" for those less technically adept?
brakes/drums.when is the last time you saw 4 wheel drums ?A 1968 DODGE ?HE HAS PADS ON HIS CAR TOO.
If the guy knows what a brake drum is he knows that they use shoes.Shoes or pads ,same concept,different mode of operation.same situation.I really do not give a crap what you know about cars .The object here is to share ideas.The epitaph of your stupidity is what you said on the VALVE COVER post about my 'CRACKERJACKS" aircraft.I have 7000 hours plus flying time and 26 years of flying and you insult me ?Are you eeking out an existence with nothing better to do than to pick on stupid mute points?If you continue to badger people,myself included...I will find a way to get you banned.Plain and simple.I do not have to put up with you inferring that I am 12 years old or grading my english. GROW UP.
the lobster is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 02:35 PM   #10
-What-
Banned
 
-What-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Everywhere! Previous Join Date: Jul 2004 Status: Banned
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Your pads are probably just cheap.
The amount of squeaking that brake pads make have little relation to their "cheapness". That's a misconception. The cheapest pads don't squeak that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lobster
(VWHOBO), are you eeking out an existence with nothing better to do than to pick on stupid mute points?....I do not have to put up with you inferring that I am 12 years old or grading my english. GROW UP.

You know, I've been singled out as the most disrespectful person on the forum, and I've been banned. But if you look at VWHOBO's post history, 91% of his posts "pick on" a member who is usually in need of help. And just as you said lobster, a large portion of his "attacks" are on minor mistakes made by the HUMAN members of the forum.....i.e typing "breaks" instead of "brakes". I mean, why give a fuck about subtle grammatical errors that don't severely warp the point of the written message? This is a car forum, so given the context, one should easily be able to infer that the person meant to say "brakes" instead of "breaks". When taken to the extremes, Vwhobo can be considered a person that uses a great gift for "evil" instead of "good". Vwhobo uses his knowledge to find the mistakes in a person's post, and then points out the mistakes in a way that belittles the character of the person. But Vwhobo and the other rude ones believe that responding to people in such a manner is the most productive way to teach them. Whatever, he wastes too much time pointing out whats wrong, and spends little giving answers. What. A. Bitch. But yet, I was banned, not he. And to top it off, he has an "unofficial fan club". I call them bitches....and they are because they idol the man who insults them. They idol this 40+ year old man who acts so childish. Signs of no self confidence litter this forum. I'll never look up to or respect a motherfucker who won't respect me. But that's why they hate me. I make my own path. I follow no one.
-What- is offline  
Old 03-22-2005, 09:13 PM   #11
Fgreco
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 128
Quote:
Input. When you say you warm your car up every other day, does that mean you take it out and give it a good drive? Or does is mean you turn the key and let it run a short while? If that's the case then stop. It is not only a waste of gas but it is also hard on the charging system depending on how long you let it run and it is most certainly hard on the internal engine components due mostly to the fact that the oil never gets hot enough to burn off contaminants. A good drive once a week, or even once a month, is better than a short start, idle, shut down every other day.


Thanks I will drive it from now on. I didnt know that.

Oh yeah Iam not ideling him or being his bitch I just think he gave me good advice.

Last edited by Fgreco : 03-22-2005 at 09:17 PM.
Fgreco is offline  
Old 03-23-2005, 12:14 AM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by the lobster
brakes/drums.when is the last time you saw 4 wheel drums ?A 1968 DODGE ?HE HAS PADS ON HIS CAR TOO.
If the guy knows what a brake drum is he knows that they use shoes.Shoes or pads ,same concept,different mode of operation.same situation.I really do not give a crap what you know about cars .The object here is to share ideas.The epitaph of your stupidity is what you said on the VALVE COVER post about my 'CRACKERJACKS" aircraft.I have 7000 hours plus flying time and 26 years of flying and you insult me ?Are you eeking out an existence with nothing better to do than to pick on stupid mute points?If you continue to badger people,myself included...I will find a way to get you banned.Plain and simple.I do not have to put up with you inferring that I am 12 years old or grading my english. GROW UP.
I just looked in the dictonary at the word moron and found your picture right next to it. You must be very insecure, or a liar, to keep bringing up your "I'm a pilot, really I am" diatribe with every post you create. Go ahead and get me banned, that is if you can. I'm sure you'll have a bunch of people at your side... Like all the other whiney, crybaby mental midgets who come and go on this forum on a regular basis. On to the reason for this thread.

Are you sure there are cars made with disc brakes. I didn't know that, thank you for sharing your profound automotive knowledge with me and all of the other forum members. Next thing you'll tell us that there's cars made with computers in them. Never heard such a thing myself. As for the last time I saw a car with four wheel drums, does the '68 Beetle I just drove home count? How about the '70 VW Bus my son just drove up in?

Try reading this thread from the top, left to right. I know some of the words have more than two syllables so let me help you. The thread originator said "do you think maybe a pebble that was cousing the sqeek dug into my drum". He said drum dumbass, and I was just responding to the information that he provided.

Let's test your critical thinking skills if you have any. I think we can agree that most cars on the road today have front dics brakes (or breaks if it makes it easier for you to comprehend) and rear drum brakes. Agreed? Good. That means if he has an unknown brake noise there is a 50% chance it's coming from the front and a 50% chance that it's coming from the rear. Put more simply 50/50 disc/drum. Got it? I hope so, it's really very simple and obvious, at least to those who can count to 10 without using our fingers and moving our lips.

Lastly, if you look at post 8 (I think) in this thread I said "it sounds as though you might be speaking about disc brakes and not drums" because he gave additional information. If you have a shred of honesty in your body even you'll admit that he didn't and still hasn't really made it clear. But that's probably asking too much, isn't it.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline  
Old 03-23-2005, 11:56 AM   #13
the lobster
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 263
Take A Look At The 2001 Neon Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by -What-
The amount of squeaking that brake pads make have little relation to their "cheapness". That's a misconception. The cheapest pads don't squeak that much.



You know, I've been singled out as the most disrespectful person on the forum, and I've been banned. But if you look at VWHOBO's post history, 91% of his posts "pick on" a member who is usually in need of help. And just as you said lobster, a large portion of his "attacks" are on minor mistakes made by the HUMAN members of the forum.....i.e typing "breaks" instead of "brakes". I mean, why give a fuck about subtle grammatical errors that don't severely warp the point of the written message? This is a car forum, so given the context, one should easily be able to infer that the person meant to say "brakes" instead of "breaks". When taken to the extremes, Vwhobo can be considered a person that uses a great gift for "evil" instead of "good". Vwhobo uses his knowledge to find the mistakes in a person's post, and then points out the mistakes in a way that belittles the character of the person. But Vwhobo and the other rude ones believe that responding to people in such a manner is the most productive way to teach them. Whatever, he wastes too much time pointing out whats wrong, and spends little giving answers. What. A. Bitch. But yet, I was banned, not he. And to top it off, he has an "unofficial fan club". I call them bitches....and they are because they idol the man who insults them. They idol this 40+ year old man who acts so childish. Signs of no self confidence litter this forum. I'll never look up to or respect a motherfucker who won't respect me. But that's why they hate me. I make my own path. I follow no one.
RIGHT.TAKE A LOOK AND SEE THE NEON ONE FOR EXAMPLE.I NAILED THE WIRING DOWN.IT COST HER 700$ TO FIX HER CAR,BUT ONE OF THE SUGGESTIONS WAS RIGHT.THAT IS WHAT THIS IS ABOUT,ESPECIALLY THE OBVIOUS STUFF.SOMETIMES THE SMALL THINGS ARE OVERLOOKED,AND HEY HE THINKS I AM 12 YEARS OLD.READ THE ONE ABOUT THE "VALVE COVER " .UNREAL ! AND I HAVE THIS TURD TELLING ME IF I CAN FLY AIRPLANES OR NOT.
the lobster is offline  
Old 03-23-2005, 12:06 PM   #14
the lobster
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 263
Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I just looked in the dictonary at the word moron and found your picture right next to it. You must be very insecure, or a liar, to keep bringing up your "I'm a pilot, really I am" diatribe with every post you create. Go ahead and get me banned, that is if you can. I'm sure you'll have a bunch of people at your side... Like all the other whiney, crybaby mental midgets who come and go on this forum on a regular basis. On to the reason for this thread.

Are you sure there are cars made with disc brakes. I didn't know that, thank you for sharing your profound automotive knowledge with me and all of the other forum members. Next thing you'll tell us that there's cars made with computers in them. Never heard such a thing myself. As for the last time I saw a car with four wheel drums, does the '68 Beetle I just drove home count? How about the '70 VW Bus my son just drove up in?

Try reading this thread from the top, left to right. I know some of the words have more than two syllables so let me help you. The thread originator said "do you think maybe a pebble that was cousing the sqeek dug into my drum". He said drum dumbass, and I was just responding to the information that he provided.

Let's test your critical thinking skills if you have any. I think we can agree that most cars on the road today have front dics brakes (or breaks if it makes it easier for you to comprehend) and rear drum brakes. Agreed? Good. That means if he has an unknown brake noise there is a 50% chance it's coming from the front and a 50% chance that it's coming from the rear. Put more simply 50/50 disc/drum. Got it? I hope so, it's really very simple and obvious, at least to those who can count to 10 without using our fingers and moving our lips.

Lastly, if you look at post 8 (I think) in this thread I said "it sounds as though you might be speaking about disc brakes and not drums" because he gave additional information. If you have a shred of honesty in your body even you'll admit that he didn't and still hasn't really made it clear. But that's probably asking too much, isn't it.
RIGHT.HE DID MENTION
THE RUSTY LOOKING THING.COULD BE A DISC OR A DRUM.IF IT WAS A 2005 UPLANDER,WE KNOW IT WOULD BE DISCS.FRONT AND BACK.BUT IT COULD BE DRUMS.ITS NOT VERY OFTEN THAT ROCKS FLY SIDEWAYS INTO DRUMS THOUGH?IF IT WAS A 95 NEON ,SQUEAKY REAR DRUMS ARE .......STANDARD.EQUIPMENT.THE CAVALIERS ARE BAD TOO.BUT THE FACT REMAINS ,HE DID NOT OFFER ENOUGH SPECIFIC INFO ,SO A GENERALIZATION ON WHAT COULD CAUSE NOISE IS O.K..
but you do not have to be so INSULTING. getting you banned will not help,
because you will come back as adolf and haunt us.
the lobster is offline  
Old 03-23-2005, 01:09 PM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by the lobster
RIGHT.HE DID MENTION
THE RUSTY LOOKING THING.COULD BE A DISC OR A DRUM.IF IT WAS A 2005 UPLANDER,WE KNOW IT WOULD BE DISCS.FRONT AND BACK.BUT IT COULD BE DRUMS.ITS NOT VERY OFTEN THAT ROCKS FLY SIDEWAYS INTO DRUMS THOUGH?IF IT WAS A 95 NEON ,SQUEAKY REAR DRUMS ARE .......STANDARD.EQUIPMENT.THE CAVALIERS ARE BAD TOO.BUT THE FACT REMAINS ,HE DID NOT OFFER ENOUGH SPECIFIC INFO ,SO A GENERALIZATION ON WHAT COULD CAUSE NOISE IS O.K..
but you do not have to be so INSULTING. getting you banned will not help,
because you will come back as adolf and haunt us.
You are one unbelievably hard headed and/or stupid son of a bitch. Read the first post in this thread. If you can count to 25 (have your wife come over so you can use her fingers too), look at the 25th word in that first post. The originator of this thread and the owner of the car in question said "drum". Can you comprehend that? Can ya?!? You are then the one that decided he was talking about a disc. I know some of the letters are the same but the word, and the component, are different.

So pilot boy, I'll make you a deal. I won't come to one of your pilot forums and tell people everything I don't know about flying your toy airplanes and how about you don't waste space here confusing people looking for help with their cars. No, I suppose you're too thick between the ears to do that.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.