Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2005, 02:50 AM   #1
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

79' Chevy Silverado, Where Should I Start?

Hey, ok i was hoping i could get some more experienced opinions on what i should do. Well we have a 1979 Chevy Silverado (fenders, box, doors, hood not original) but it still has the original 350sb 4 bolt main (rebuilt) and an automatic 400 trans. Most of the body will need to be patched or replaced but it has a solid frame and perfect engine (not run in 1 1/2 years). I like that year of truck but i dont know if it would be worth fixing up, i wouldn't really be going for a showroom condition but something that is good on the eyes and you'd be proud to drive around. I was thinking of talking to my dad to see if we could find an old chevy and maybe use the engine in it if we choose not to fix the truck. Almost every panel has atleast 1 rust hole (some bigger then others). I dont really know what else to say about it but i would love to hear some of your opinions. Thanx.

Last edited by car_crazy89 : 06-03-2005 at 10:29 PM.
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:15 AM   #2
Snappydwp1
CF Newbie

Hey car_crazy89 beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. When I was in highschool in the early 70's and bought the 58 Edsel all my friends wondered why. If you see something there you like then get started.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:25 PM   #3
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

if youy like it, and it has a rebuilt engine, why not restore/mod the truck? They are easy to get parts for, which makes it a great project.

http://www.carnut.com/photo/truck/_trk70m1.html

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:19 PM   #4
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Hey, thanx for your ideas, i was kinda thinking about the truck since its one of my more favourite years but it needs almost all new body panels. Where would you be able to find fairly cheap parts though? (new or used)
Old 03-21-2005, 09:24 PM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
Hey, thanx for your ideas, i was kinda thinking about the truck since its one of my more favourite years but it needs almost all new body panels. Where would you be able to find fairly cheap parts though? (new or used)

Pick up a copy of Hemmings Motor News, or Classic Trucks magazine. Even JC Whitney has body parts for those trucks. Other than that, look into salvage yards. I'm sure there's one with '73-87 Chevy trucks you could get parts off of near you.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:25 PM   #6
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Ok, i started this a couple months ago and have tried talking to my dad about the truck. He said he would rather try to find another frame and body and then change all the good stuff from the truck we have now to the other (frame/body) cause he said the cab is too bad and isnt worth fixing it. As i've said, as far as i know its only body work that needs to be fixed (majority anyways). I was wondering, would it be cheaper and worth it to just find a 1977-80 or so cab and just switch it with our truck or to find a frame and body and then switch everything over? He said he'd rather get the frame/body cause it would be too much work changing a cab cause you gotta do the wiring and need people to help lift it in place. I can try to take pics of the truck (as it sits)and you can give me your opinions on what i/we should do. I dont need a show truck, just an everyday driver (maybe have it raised to go trail riding sometimes though). Any and all opinions are welcome and encouraged. Thanxs.

PS. Sorry for the length of this post kinda long and probably repetitive.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
Old 05-18-2005, 10:45 PM   #7
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

You say the engine hasn't been run in 1.5 years? The gasoline may have turned to varnish by now. That's going to be a pain to clean out. You may also have a lot of gunk in your engine that's going to need cleaning.

EDIT: Oh wait, I just saw how old this thread is, you've probably already done that by now.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:47 PM   #8
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Well its turned over but hasnt started (2 or 3 months ago) cause of a bad starter. The ground wire to the battery kept heating up and melting the coating off the wire.

EDIT: No, we havent really done anything to it yet. The last thing we've tried to do was get it started and just havent gotten a starter yet. We also fixed the brakes lines so they work. I'm more the one who wants to do things so it would probably have to be me to start it (cleaning and other stuff).

Last edited by car_crazy89 : 05-18-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:01 AM   #9
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Well its turned over but hasnt started (2 or 3 months ago) cause of a bad starter. The ground wire to the battery kept heating up and melting the coating off the wire.

EDIT: No, we havent really done anything to it yet. The last thing we've tried to do was get it started and just havent gotten a starter yet. We also fixed the brakes lines so they work. I'm more the one who wants to do things so it would probably have to be me to start it (cleaning and other stuff).

changing the cab is common and not that big a deal where i'm from (farmland)... the truck will probably be easier to do than most cars, as you can unbolt almost everything (it's kinda modular that way), and chevy truck parts are common as catdirt (whatever that means). my friend's neighbor built a lifted chev p/u like yours when we were in hs, and it was about 8 different trucks put together on one frame... came out nice, though

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:47 AM   #10
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Haha sounds like what the truck already is, 8 different trucks lol. Its originally a 79 but its got 80 fenders, 84(?) doors, 78 box, 80 mirrors, and i think 81 hood. I like the truck though, and my plan was to raise it up (not lower) and make it look kinda like an off-roader with bigger tires (31's right now), suspension/body lift, roll/push style bumpers, rear roll bar, bucket/racing seats and harnesses and a few other minor things. I can take and put up pics anytime if anyone wants. Of the good and bad parts/places. Thanx fgor your help and opinions, please keep them coming if you got anything you wanna say.

Old 06-03-2005, 10:34 PM   #11
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Okay, well just today my dad told me that if i want the truck then i can have it. I think that sounds better then scraping it. Now i'm just asking for your opinions on what i can and should do first. I've already explained in my previous posts the shape of it (all body needs attention or replacement, and needs a starter to get running) so i'm just wondering where would be the best place to start? Would it be better to try and get it running before doing anything else? And also, would it be better/cheaper to buy new or used parts for it (if new/aftermarket, do you know any Canadian sites or maybe American sites that have cheap shipping?) Any and all help would be appreciated, thanx.

EDIT: And if anything, it will be raised and not lowered, they look better sitting high.

Last edited by car_crazy89 : 06-03-2005 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:25 PM   #12
RcCola
CF Newbie

go for it man....
Old 06-04-2005, 12:32 AM   #13
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Okay, well i took some quick pics (will take better/more this weekend) but i dont know how to make them smaller so i can put them on here. They came out kinda big (digital, on computer already). Anyone know how to make these smaller or should i just post them anyways? (Theres 11 plus one of the Fifth Avenue)

Old 06-04-2005, 04:00 AM   #14
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Okay, well i took some quick pics (will take better/more this weekend) but i dont know how to make them smaller so i can put them on here. They came out kinda big (digital, on computer already). Anyone know how to make these smaller or should i just post them anyways? (Theres 11 plus one of the Fifth Avenue)

just open it in "paint" and change the image attributes...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:02 AM   #15
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
just open it in "paint" and change the image attributes...
Thanx, i figured it out and made a new thread.