Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2005, 02:06 AM   #1
SignOfZeta
CF Newbie

Engine speed limit?

While tearing up sections of Route 72 and I-84 late at night, I noticed that just after 105 MPH, the engine speed drops to 2000 RPM for a second. It looks and feels like it's downshifting and then shifting back up. It doesn't matter whether or not the engine speed is at 3000 RPM (normal at that speed) or 4500 RPM (pedal about 3/4 of the way down), it only does that just after 105 MPH.

I read that some engines have built-in speed limits. Does my car have this as well? If not, what's the problem?
Automatic transmission
SignOfZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 02:27 AM   #2
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignOfZeta
While tearing up sections of Route 72 and I-84 late at night, I noticed that just after 105 MPH, the engine speed drops to 2000 RPM for a second. It looks and feels like it's downshifting and then shifting back up. It doesn't matter whether or not the engine speed is at 3000 RPM (normal at that speed) or 4500 RPM (pedal about 3/4 of the way down), it only does that just after 105 MPH.

I read that some engines have built-in speed limits. Does my car have this as well? If not, what's the problem?

It's called a governor, and yes, your car probably does, most cars do. Usually about 180kph which is about 110mph, so you're right in that area.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:48 AM   #3
SignOfZeta
CF Newbie

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
It's called a governor, and yes, your car probably does, most cars do. Usually about 180kph which is about 110mph, so you're right in that area.

Is there any way to make this governor resign? (A little Connecticut humor there.) I imagine I'd have to reprogram the ECU, so I'm out of luck at the moment.
Automatic transmission
Old 03-06-2005, 06:57 AM   #4
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignOfZeta
Is there any way to make this governor resign? (A little Connecticut humor there.) I imagine I'd have to reprogram the ECU, so I'm out of luck at the moment.

There are ways, but it's not legal. Why would you want to anyway, they are governed for a few reasons, one obviously being safety and so you can't go over "this fast", and another because your car is not made to handle excessive speeds. Not to mention that that's already near twice the speed limits on highways
Old 03-07-2005, 12:19 AM   #5
SignOfZeta
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
There are ways, but it's not legal. Why would you want to anyway, they are governed for a few reasons, one obviously being safety and so you can't go over "this fast", and another because your car is not made to handle excessive speeds. Not to mention that that's already near twice the speed limits on highways

Not legal? Damn.

Well, I read about all the dangers, though: tire blowouts, engine problems, suspension, cops, accidents while reaching for that McNugget you dropped, et cetera...

That was enough to scare me, but I'd like some kind of override for those moments when you:
1.) Feel suicidally adventurous.
B.) Have to win a race or [insert horrible punishment here].
3.) Have been shot.
4.) Have to get your tax return postmarked in the next seven seconds or pay the price.
5.) Convince a girl to go out with me, fall in love, get married, bang her in the backseat, wait nine months and then have to rush her to the hospital before she gives birth in my car. ("Don't you DARE let your water break on my seats or else you and Colin Jr. are cleaning them!")
Automatic transmission

Last edited by SignOfZeta : 03-07-2005 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:35 AM   #6
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

I'm assuming that the GrandPrix fellow doesn't live here in the states judging by his KPH reference first. There isn't any law against disabling/bypassing governors...how would anybody know? I guess they would know if you put a huge sign on your car the read, "MY CAR IS GOVERNED AT 105MPH" while you proceeded to whip past a cop at 140mph.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 04:48 AM   #7
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
I'm assuming that the GrandPrix fellow doesn't live here in the states judging by his KPH reference first. There isn't any law against disabling/bypassing governors...how would anybody know? I guess they would know if you put a huge sign on your car the read, "MY CAR IS GOVERNED AT 105MPH" while you proceeded to whip past a cop at 140mph.

Hahaha, it's not illegal down there? You bastards. People do get caught here by going well over what the vehicle is governed at, and if the pig happens to know that the vehicle should be goverened, $500 ticket for removing the governor + other applicable fines.. so, oof. What I find odd is how Neon's aren't governed... you'd think they'd be governed before, well, pretty much anything else.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:28 AM   #8
SignOfZeta
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird

They might know if they checked your speed along with your car's year, make and model against a database that says what the governed limit is. Hopefully, the government doesn't go to Car-Forums. I don't really plan to drive 140 MPH, but I'd like to hit 110 or 115 MPH at least.
Automatic transmission
Old 03-07-2005, 08:28 PM   #9
Gothicaleigh
CF Newbie

105mph is a cruel place to have a governor. Anyway, governors are based on two very important things: Suspension and tire rating. You can have your car 'chipped' to beat the governor, but without upgrading the aforementioned car dynamics, I wouldn't advise it. All modern cars are governed by law to their tire rating. My CTS, for example, is limited to 143mph because it comes with V rated tires (many manufacturers limit just below the tire rating for liability reasons) and there is no need to have W rated tires on it because the car most likely won't reach 168mph with the stock drivetrain. In comparison, the 400hp V-series version wears W rated tires and is limited to 165mph. In some cases (which are becoming rarer), cars are limited because their suspension is unsafe at higher speeds.

Tire ratings
M 81
N 87
P 93
Q 99
R 106
S 112
T 118
U 124
H 130
V(VR) 149 (VR used to signify "above 130mph", it now limits to 149)
W(ZR) 168
Y(ZR) 186 (both of these may use "ZR" in the size description, which just signifies "in excess of 149mph")

Last edited by Gothicaleigh : 03-07-2005 at 08:58 PM.
Gothicaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 08:35 PM   #10
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Nice, but I remember how scientist once said that tires wouldn't be able to go past 150 mph, but as we can see, tires are way apst that point, but how? Filling the tires with gel, or something? Also, what are the physics constraints of tires nowadays?
Old 03-08-2005, 04:40 AM   #11
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

It's simple...since the 50's they've designed tires that don't come apart until higher speeds. You know you're crazy when you're in excess of 145 on bald H-rated tires

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:11 AM   #12
GirlieGurl
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothicaleigh
105mph is a cruel place to have a governor.
Yep! Mine at least let's me get to 112mph.

'95 Contour GL
-- SVT dual exhaust, SVT rims,
-- Coming soon CTA intake w/no mufflers.
-- She's not fast, but my next car will be.
GirlieGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:51 AM   #13
markman
CF Newbie

it can also be that you have hydrolic rollers and lifters. once you are going so fast and a certan ammount of rpms for a long time the vavles will open and close out of order causing your car to "Burp" then in about a second it will come back to life. its weird for it to happen at such a low rpm so it probably is a rmp limiter in the ecu but you never know

408ci small block stroker
tremeck T-56 6-speed manual
all new suspension

What A Beast !!!
markman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 03:45 AM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by markman
it can also be that you have hydrolic rollers and lifters. once you are going so fast and a certan ammount of rpms for a long time the vavles will open and close out of order causing your car to "Burp" then in about a second it will come back to life. its weird for it to happen at such a low rpm so it probably is a rmp limiter in the ecu but you never know
Another entry in the "Dumbest Thing I've Ever Heard Anybody Say" sweepstakes. Good job.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 03:11 AM   #15
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Another entry in the "Dumbest Thing I've Ever Heard Anybody Say" sweepstakes. Good job.

Must be those damn light-weight plastic camshafts.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote