Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2005, 04:45 AM   #1
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Locations of VIN Number?

Hey, well earlier today my friend and i were looking at this truck and we noticed the VIN number was missing off the dash (rivets still there). I was wondering where else you can find the VIN number on a late model truck? Also what are some reasons a VIN plate might be missing? Can they ever just fall off? Thank you for your time.
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:49 AM   #2
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
STOLEN, or the car had dash work done and they stripped it off but more than likely stolen!!!!!!!. check the door panel there should be an information sticker with the vin on it also,
Old 03-21-2005, 04:57 AM   #3
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Well i do know the truck was once involved in in accident so its not all original. In which door would the Sticker be in? (driver or passenger) It is a 1989 Chevy if that helps.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:23 AM   #4
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
Well i do know the truck was once involved in in accident so its not all original. In which door would the Sticker be in? (driver or passenger) It is a 1989 Chevy if that helps.

Driver side.

Lots of GM vehicles have them on pretty much every body panel.. Fenders, Quarter-Panels, Deck lid, Hood.. All vehicles have the VIN on the frame also.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:27 AM   #5
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Thanx for your help, i was wondering and thought it couldnt really hurt to ask.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:31 AM   #6
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Thanx for your help, i was wondering and thought it couldnt really hurt to ask.

No problem, just take a look in the driver door of a vehicle you own, it will have a sticker with the manufacturing date, the VIN, carrying capacity and a lot of other information on it.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #7
ashley
CF Newbie

but can it be replaced?

Quote:
Hey, well earlier today my friend and i were looking at this truck and we noticed the VIN number was missing off the dash (rivets still there). I was wondering where else you can find the VIN number on a late model truck? Also what are some reasons a VIN plate might be missing? Can they ever just fall off? Thank you for your time.

I just noticed the vin in the windshield of my car is also missing, it is in the other places, just missing on the dash, do you guys know if I can get one reprinted, and where I could get it?
Thanks!
ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #8
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley
I just noticed the vin in the windshield of my car is also missing, it is in the other places, just missing on the dash, do you guys know if I can get one reprinted, and where I could get it?
Thanks!

dealership they can order one. but you would be better to wait for the day you need to have the windshield replaced as most car and trucks the plate is rivited to the frame of the dash(remove dash to replace) most vin #'s are in many places door,trunk or spare tire coverboard,there's probably still the assembly list under the carpet with the vin# and options the car came with.

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:41 PM   #9
ashley
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by osborste
dealership they can order one. but you would be better to wait for the day you need to have the windshield replaced as most car and trucks the plate is rivited to the frame of the dash(remove dash to replace) most vin #'s are in many places door,trunk or spare tire coverboard,there's probably still the assembly list under the carpet with the vin# and options the car came with.

Cool. I need the windshield replaced. I wanted to see if I could order the VIN before changing the windshield. Do you know how much the dealerships charge? Anyway, whatever they charge I kinda need one, I'd rather have one than answer to the cops.
ashley is offline   Reply With Quote