Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2005, 06:57 AM   #1
spinal_tarp
CF Newbie

People and their opinions

Is it still completely debatable as to which companies are the best? It annoys me how all these people say they hate Fords....and all they can say for WHY is "because they suck and break down". It also annoys me how there can be person A and person B, both obsessively research and are in love with cars and everything about them, and have been for years, and they seem equally smart, yet one sais GM rules and Ford sucks and the other sais just the opposite.

Is it pretty much a you get what you pay for thing with cars? (unless youre buying from someome trying to screw you)

Im going to buy my first car pretty soon....I'll probably spend like 2000-3000 on one...and I have no idea which car to get. Some people say go with an old civic/accord, others say get an old Chevy Cavallier or whatever. Of course...they dont really back up their "whys" with facts or explanations...
spinal_tarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinal_tarp
Is it still completely debatable as to which companies are the best? It annoys me how all these people say they hate Fords....and all they can say for WHY is "because they suck and break down". It also annoys me how there can be person A and person B, both obsessively research and are in love with cars and everything about them, and have been for years, and they seem equally smart, yet one sais GM rules and Ford sucks and the other sais just the opposite.

Well, it comes from the ages old tribal human instinct, to fear and ridicule 'the other." You know, my family is better than your family. My tribe is better than your tribe. My community is better than your community, my school, team, company, music genre, nation, favorite (insert item here), is better than yours, blah, blah, blah.

Doesn't matter what the facts really are, either. And the actual fact is, in this case, is that cars are made of metals, glass, rubber, cloth, by people for people. They aren't religions, they aren't living things. They really don't care what name is on the build tag. Buy what you like, like what you buy. it's a hobby, so have fun.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:27 PM   #3
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Well, it comes from the ages old tribal human instinct, to fear and ridicule 'the other." You know, my family is better than your family. My tribe is better than your tribe. My community is better than your community, my school, team, company, music genre, nation, favorite (insert item here), is better than yours, blah, blah, blah.

Doesn't matter what the facts really are, either. And the actual fact is, in this case, is that cars are made of metals, glass, rubber, cloth, by people for people. They aren't religions, they aren't living things. They really don't care what name is on the build tag. Buy what you like, like what you buy. it's a hobby, so have fun.

I agree.

You know, if you did a study of people that say they don't like Fords and asked them why. Most would say because they are unreliable and breakdown. Then if you asked most of them how many they have owned I garauntee more tha 50% of them will answer "None". So how is it exactly that you can take the opinion of someone who has'nt owned a Ford about a Ford?

Thing is you can't. My father has owned many a Ford that have exceeded 150,000 miles.

Well technically speaking Ford itself is just under Industry standard for customer service. However their other parterning companys like Lincoln, Mercury, Volvo, and Jaguar are at the top of thier game in customer service. While ford still leads the industry in Mustang and Thunderbird sales, you may ask how do they stack up to other car companys.

While Lexus used to be number one in sales satisfaction and overall best company it seems that Jaguar(one of Fords Compays) has taken its place as number 1 in the industry. Ford itself is'nt that far down the chain coming somwhere at #17 but still above indusrty standard.

JD Power seems to give almost good ratings on all of fords new entry line vehicles from the New Mustang to the New Escape Hybrid. Many people have thier jokes such as Ford cirlces the problem. But statisticly Ford has been creating good vehicles since the Model T, and you should'nt suspect any otherwise.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:28 PM   #4
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

uhhh. . . . i hate ford because they suck and break down!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:09 PM   #5
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki2AY
uhhh. . . . i hate ford because they suck and break down!

How many have you owned?
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 11:18 PM   #6
Wally
I Know More Than You

I don't know much about the race scene in the US but here in Oz we have a supercar series that is limited to Holden (GM) and Ford. Organisers found that it was much more profitable to make it a two horse race because of fierce brand loyalty.

Truth is that when the series was open to world brands during the transition to less polluting engines the Jap cars killed the rest, apart from the Sierra Cosworths and it became boring.

I currently have a GM for a daily drive, an old Ford as a restorer, a French car, a Belgium car and a Korean car. They all need fuel and oil, have four wheels and bend when hitting something solid.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:15 AM   #7
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
How many have you owned?

i have owned about 7 of them and they all broke down once i got into the car

good ol' ford!! LOL
Old 03-22-2005, 12:48 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

As with any consumer product there are some models from all manufacturers that have a lower reliability rating, are slow, are ugly or whatever you want to plug in that makes them less desirable. But as has already been implied if not said in this thread, all cars have their good points as well. Take ChrisV's advice, get what you want and have fun.

BTW, I hate all Fords to because... I want to be a waste of oxygen douche bag just like Ki2AY.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:56 AM   #9
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo

BTW, I hate all Fords to because... I want to be a waste of oxygen douche bag just like Ki2AY.

hey whats a douche bag? sorry i wasnt born in the u.s.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:02 AM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
hey whats a douche bag? sorry i wasnt born in the u.s.
To find out simply look in the mirror.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 01:03 AM   #11
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
To find out simply look in the mirror.

so its a mirror?
Old 03-22-2005, 01:15 AM   #12
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Quote:
hey whats a douche bag?

Ar you serious?
Old 03-22-2005, 01:45 AM   #13
Ki2AY
CF's Pond Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
Ar you serious?

NO i just wanted the hobo to chat with me
Old 03-22-2005, 08:22 PM   #14
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

The other problem with opinions is itís no longer a situation where people have an opinion based on what little they know, and adjust that opinion as they learn new things. Instead it has become acceptable that they actively fight against learning new things so they donít have to change their opinions. Opinions have become sacrosanct, and learning new things is somehow considered bad.

We all form opinions on everything. What separates the intelligent from the rest is the ability to add new information to their store of knowledge, and adjust the opinions to match the facts. The ignorant form opinions and if the facts donít match the opinions they ignore the facts and argue that having the opinion is more important.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:44 AM   #15
spinal_tarp
CF Newbie

so then its a mix of you get what you pay for + what is right for you + if you can get a good deal or not? There is no one actual shitty company?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a beginning automatic 2000-3000 dollar car?
spinal_tarp is offline   Reply With Quote