Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2005, 07:44 PM   #1
Pierre
CF Newbie

Ignition problem or Short

Hi everyone,

I am presently driving a 1996 Neon and having trouble starting the car.

Here's what happens

When trying to start car all the gauges go on and off, on and off
Lights are Dim and all of a sudden the lights go on again
When pressing on the breaks the gauges go off again.
After a few minutes of trying to start the car starts, no problem.

Note : When trying to start the car there is no turning it would be as if the batterie is dead.

If it is a short is there a way I can find on my own without the diagnostic tool they have at the mechanics?

Thanks for your help
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
Pierre
CF Newbie

Which of these do you think is more likely to be the culprit?

1) Ignition Swith
2) Ignition Relay
3) Batterie
4) Batterie Cables
5) Camshaft Position Sensor
Old 03-21-2005, 10:10 PM   #3
osborste
the canuck tech

have the battery load tested then have a draw test done on the starter could just be the battery is shot

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:06 AM   #4
the lobster
CF Addict

Check The Battery

a dead cell battery will do exactly that.if one cell is bad the battery will
drop quite a bit when a load is put on it.a bad connection will behave like that
too.jump it with a strong battery and see what happens.check the cables,connections,and make sure the engine block ground strap and all grounds are secure .i saw a accelerator spring get red hot once when starting the car because the ground strap on the block came off.
the lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:01 PM   #5
Pierre
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by osborste
have the battery load tested then have a draw test done on the starter could just be the battery is shot

This problem occures only on average once a week do you still think it could be my batterie? I would rather this problem be my batterie then a groud fault somewhere.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2005, 03:51 PM   #6
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre
This problem occures only on average once a week do you still think it could be my batterie? I would rather this problem be my batterie then a groud fault somewhere.

Thanks
looking at the diagram your starter system is a simple setup next time it doe's this no start try move the shifter to neutral(automatic tranny)it could be the relay not activating with a bad connection at the park/neutral switch if its a manual tranny the ground wire might be corroded then if this doesn't work it could be a starter on it's way out

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

Old 03-22-2005, 04:17 PM   #7
Pierre
CF Newbie

Quote:
looking at the diagram your starter system is a simple setup next time it doe's this no start try move the shifter to neutral(automatic tranny)it could be the relay not activating with a bad connection at the park/neutral switch if its a manual tranny the ground wire might be corroded then if this doesn't work it could be a starter on it's way out

Thanks for your help ..... so by what I am describing you don't think it's my batterie?

I changed my starter last year, hopefully it's not that. I will check the ground wires to see if there is any loose connections.

Thanks again for your advice
Old 03-22-2005, 04:24 PM   #8
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre
Thanks for your help ..... so by what I am describing you don't think it's my batterie?

I changed my starter last year, hopefully it's not that. I will check the ground wires to see if there is any loose connections.

Thanks again for your advice
no not if it only happens once aweek i'd look at ground and starter connection's

my new toy

Old 03-23-2005, 12:31 PM   #9
the lobster
CF Addict

the cable could be bad inside

Quote:
no not if it only happens once aweek i'd look at ground and starter connection's
i saw the most bizzare thing once with
a 1988 mitsubishi colt.the car would behave as the battery was right out of the car.0 volts .no radio,lights nothing.then after leaving the key in the run setting,after 10 seconds the radio would come on,then the lights,and if you wait another 10 seconds the car would start.if you tried to start it when the
radio came on ,it would click,and not start. i took a voltmeter and measured ACROSS the positive lead from the battery and the other side that went to the solenoid,and the voltage started at 12 and dropped to 0 in about 20 seconds.
when i cut back some plastic on the cable,it was GREEN INSIDE.the cable was acting like a variable resistor.i would look for a similar thing here.i repaired a 96 neon cluster once,the pc board had broken solders on the back of it.the gauges were intermittent,but i do not recall a starting problem.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:12 PM   #10
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lobster
i saw the most bizzare thing once with
a 1988 mitsubishi colt.the car would behave as the battery was right out of the car.0 volts .no radio,lights nothing.then after leaving the key in the run setting,after 10 seconds the radio would come on,then the lights,and if you wait another 10 seconds the car would start.if you tried to start it when the
radio came on ,it would click,and not start. i took a voltmeter and measured ACROSS the positive lead from the battery and the other side that went to the solenoid,and the voltage started at 12 and dropped to 0 in about 20 seconds.
when i cut back some plastic on the cable,it was GREEN INSIDE.the cable was acting like a variable resistor.i would look for a similar thing here.i repaired a 96 neon cluster once,the pc board had broken solders on the back of it.the gauges were intermittent,but i do not recall a starting problem.
my buddy has a 95 neon and your right about the green corrosion on the positive terminal but his i saw right away the wire casing had expanded just after the battery clamp so there's another area to check

my new toy

Old 03-28-2005, 11:58 AM   #11
the lobster
CF Addict

thanks.

Quote:
my buddy has a 95 neon and your right about the green corrosion on the positive terminal but his i saw right away the wire casing had expanded just after the battery clamp so there's another area to check
i am getting used to getting you what what from hobo,but once in a while i have a good idea.13 years as an electronics technician,i have seen alot of bizarre things.