Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2005, 04:22 AM   #1
supafly205
CF Newbie

starter reversed rotation

hello, i have a 1985 cadillac elderado and just rebuilt the transmission (325-4L) when i hooked the starter back up i found that the starter motor is rotating the wrong direction, is there any fix to this problem i would appreciate any help possible.
thank you
supafly205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:24 AM   #2
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafly205
hello, i have a 1985 cadillac elderado and just rebuilt the transmission (325-4L) when i hooked the starter back up i found that the starter motor is rotating the wrong direction, is there any fix to this problem i would appreciate any help possible.
thank you

Sounds like you have the ground and power wire mixed up.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:39 AM   #3
supafly205
CF Newbie

everything hooked up right

i have the main power from the positve terminal to the starter motor terminal the ignition power to the s on the selonoid and the starter -12 is just gorounded to the transmisionwhen bolted on
it just goes the wrong way
Old 03-22-2005, 04:41 AM   #4
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
thank you
so before the tranny was rebuilt your starter was fine you didn't take the starter apart and now it spin's backwards????

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:50 AM   #5
supafly205
CF Newbie

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by osborste
so before the tranny was rebuilt your starter was fine you didn't take the starter apart and now it spin's backwards????

yes the starter was fine before i rebuilt the transmision and it wasnt touched until i put the transmision back in and installed the starter
Old 03-22-2005, 04:51 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Sounds like you have the ground and power wire mixed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osborste
Now now boys, you've been suckered in because...

Quote:
thank you
If the battery cables are properly attached the motor will only spin the right direction and besides, the starter turning the wrong way would be the least of his problems. More to the point, if the starter motor is turning the wrong way the starter drive would never engage... The bendix would pull the drive gear back into the housing.

My bet is that he's installed a different starter that looks the same but has a different direction of rotation.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:57 AM   #7
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo

If the battery cables are properly attached the motor will only spin the right direction and besides, the starter turning the wrong way would be the least of his problems. More to the point, if the starter motor is turning the wrong way the starter drive would never engage... The bendix would pull the drive gear back into the housing.

My bet is that he's installed a different starter that looks the same but has a different direction of rotation.
thats what i couldn't figure out if he used the same starter

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

Old 03-22-2005, 04:58 AM   #8
supafly205
CF Newbie

not true

Quote:

the starter worked before. the selenoid works fine it will engage the starter gear. but the starter motor is turning in reverse. there for if the starter is installed it will attemped to turn the engin counterclockwise (the wrong direction) and the starter gear is not desined to catch the fly wheel in that direction anyways, it will just tear up my flywheel. THE STARTER MOTOR IS TURNING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. i also checked it outside of the car to verify that with another car battery
Old 03-22-2005, 05:02 AM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
the starter worked before. the selenoid works fine it will engage the starter gear. but the starter motor is turning in reverse. there for if the starter is installed it will attemped to turn the engin counterclockwise (the wrong direction) and the starter gear is not desined to catch the fly wheel in that direction anyways, it will just tear up my flywheel. THE STARTER MOTOR IS TURNING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. i also checked it outside of the car to verify that with another car battery
Okay, let's try it again. If the starter is turning the wrong way, the starter drive with kick out initially (solenoid driven movement) and will immediately retract when it tries to crank the engine.

BTW, if you are so sure that you know so much, why are you asking questions here?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 03-22-2005, 05:03 AM   #10
supafly205
CF Newbie

same starter
Old 03-22-2005, 05:05 AM   #11
supafly205
CF Newbie

Quote:
Okay, let's try it again. If the starter is turning the wrong way, the starter drive with kick out initially (solenoid driven movement) and will immediately retract when it tries to crank the engine.

BTW, if you are so sure that you know so much, why are you asking questions here?

i dont know how to rebuild a starter or if this problem is fixible, i was hoping someone may have had experience with this problem, and i aprettiate your help, thank you
Old 03-22-2005, 05:06 AM   #12
supafly205
CF Newbie

nut i am sure the starter motor is turning the wrong direction
Old 03-22-2005, 05:09 AM   #13
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
ok i'll bite again you didn't say what engine i think its a 4.1 L the starter mounts on the passanger side of the motor and should spin clockwise

my new toy

Old 03-22-2005, 05:10 AM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
nut i am sure the starter motor is turning the wrong direction
Last shot as some of us have to go to work in the AM. The starter motor is a simple, basic DC motor. If you have the battery cables connected correctly it can only turn one way. That is all. You are either wrong about the starter rotation or wrong about the cable hook-up. Either way you are wrong.

I personally have trouble believing that someone is able to rebuild a transaxle and then is stumped by this "problem". Maybe it's time to put down the beer.

Old 03-22-2005, 05:15 AM   #15
Wally
I Know More Than You

You are aware that the starter pinion turns opposite to the flywheel/flexplate?

Swapping +ve and -ve won't change direction, but I suspect the positive clamped to chassis ground would be interesting.