CF Newbie

WHAT CAR IS THIS...

what car is this.. and can i buy it !! 8O
complextouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 07:19 AM   #2
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Looks like a Porsche...ah...550???

And you can only buy what is for sale...find one for sale...and you can buy it providing you have the funds.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:13 AM   #3
THUNDERHAWK
CF Newbie

looks like a 58 vette check vett sites to be sure if not it might be a mgb or a faci9mility there of
like a spider
check em out
ANY AND ALL... REALLY GOOD MODIFICATION LINKS FOR 1992 SATURN SC SERIES CARS,ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED EMAIL ME OR MSN ME ON SATURDAYS 9:00AM CMT TO 5:00PM CMT THANKS
THUNDERHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 12:39 PM   #4
SuperJew
I like pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERHAWK
looks like a 58 vette check vett sites to be sure if not it might be a mgb or a faci9mility there of
like a spider
check em out

hmmm no thats definitely not a vette. this is a 58 vette.

that picture is of James Dean....ure American, didnt u know Dean had a Porsche 550?

CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 01:16 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: WHAT CAR IS THIS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by complextouch
what car is this.. and can i buy it !! 8O

Your picture shows James Dean with the car he died in on 09/30/1955, the "Little Bastard". It's a 1955 Porsche 550 of which only 90 were produced ('55 model year). Yes, it's a cousin to a VW so I know a little about it.

Can you buy one like it? Well as BW says you can only buy what's for sale and 550's are going for BIG money. On the other hand, if you want the look, better overall drivability and cheaper price try this.

http://www.jamesdeanspyder.com/

A '58 Vette or an MGB. Geez, Louise.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 05:13 PM   #6
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Hey...I was right! Had the pic been of the front end, I would've known for sure.

That is a nice link, vwhobo. $37k sounds pretty reasonable for the car IMO.

What are your thoughts on the engine?

Old 12-05-2003, 05:36 PM   #7
vwmaniac
CF Addict

Here's some more pics,enjoy!
Old 12-05-2003, 06:53 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
Hey...I was right! Had the pic been of the front end, I would've known for sure.

That is a nice link, vwhobo. $37k sounds pretty reasonable for the car IMO.

What are your thoughts on the engine?

Hmmm, where do I begin? In no particular order, sorta from the top;

1. I think it's funny that nowhere in the text do they mention it's a Volkswagen engine. I don't know why as this engine is assembled with top quality parts. Image with the gold chain set is my guess.

2. They list it as 2275cc and show 94x78 bore and stroke. 94x78 is a 2165cc engine. To get it to 2275 (actually 2276) it would have to be 94x82. I also think the claimed horsepower is a little (10%?) optimistic.

3. It's built with a pretty radical cam but then has small valves and single valve springs. To get the most out of the cam it needs to be revved but the valves won't breath too well that high and the springs will only be good for 6000-6500 RPM. This combo will also have a fairly lumpy idle but I'm sure that's part of the image too. They must change it when air conditioning is installed.

4. If you were to run it for extended periods at high speed on the open road I'm not so sure a "standard fuel pump" could maintain the required fuel flow. Around town it would be okay but it could have had an electric pump (Facet) and you wouldn't have to worry about it.

5. They did keep the compression at 8.5:1 so it'll run great on premium gas and could get by on regular if needed for short periods.

6. Overall it's a good package that I think would keep most people happy. The car only weighs probably 1250 lbs so it'll be darn quick. I wish there was more info on the transaxle because obviously that's a player in the performance. I have no idea what they mean by "3:44 Supertrans Tall fourth gear". I mean I do but it's not very descriptive.

One last thing. This isn't the only 550 Spyder replicar out there and this one is the most expensive I'm aware of due to the top quality construction and the James Dean name. With some effort and shopping you could build one like it for about half the price. Ready to sell a Bimmer and get your hands dirty?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 12-05-2003, 07:08 PM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Crap, something I forgot to mention in both of my posts in this thread (oldtimers disease). The pic in the first post isn't the real Little Bastard. I think it's a clip from the James Dean movie made ten or so years ago. Look closely and note the four lug wheels, didn't exist (VW or Porsche) in 1955.

Old 12-05-2003, 07:08 PM   #10
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
One last thing. This isn't the only 550 Spyder replicar out there and this one is the most expensive I'm aware of due to the top quality construction and the James Dean name. With some effort and shopping you could build one like it for about half the price. Ready to sell a Bimmer and get your hands dirty?

You know...I wouldn't mind it...if I had the cash. Unfortunately my daily driver would hardly pay for a 550 replica. But even if I did...you're way over, well who know where...could be Texas?...and I'm over in palm tree land. Who would help me?

And speaking of hands...look what I did to my finger yesterday while removing a wall fixture to paint our hallway...

That's gonna leave a scar!!

Old 12-05-2003, 07:11 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
And speaking of hands...look what I did to my finger yesterday while removing a wall fixture to paint our hallway...

Just get me a little shack up near Phelan with a shop and I'll move out for a few months.

Sucks to be you. Quick healing tip. Spray it with carb cleaner, dip it in transmission fluid, wrap it with black electrical tape. I'm not kidding it works.

Old 12-05-2003, 07:17 PM   #12
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Quote:

Quick healing tip. Spray it with carb cleaner, dip it in transmission fluid, wrap it with black electrical tape. I'm not kidding it works.

Too late. I've already applied Bavarian's Medicine to the area and bandaged it. My son (little Bav) rinsed his mouth with Listerine, spit into the wound, sprayed some Windex in it and quickly sealed it under a Power Rangers Band-Aid. I'll take a pic of it later and show off it's healing power.

btw...the Windex part stung a bit!!

Old 12-05-2003, 07:23 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
btw...the Windex part stung a bit!!

Then you'd love the carb cleaner. Here's something elso to help you get kicked out of the house.

http://www.kitcar.com/cbm/home.html

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/terry.hill/Mainmenu.htm

Old 12-05-2003, 07:23 PM   #14
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Will this do, vwhobo?

Old 12-05-2003, 07:25 PM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Will this do, vwhobo?

If it has 220 volts, a big compressor and a lift I'm there.