Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2005, 01:29 AM   #1
pocketrockets
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1
Too Much Car?

Ok so i'll be getting another car soon, my family's moving out of the country and they're taking my car w/ them ('03 Jetta Turbo), so i'm going to be getting another one. Basically my dad has agreed to help pay for it but it seems like any car w/ more than 200 horsepower he says is "too much car" i mean i've never had a speeding ticket in my life an i dont really race, i just need help constructing a convincing argument in favor of say (for example) an R32 or G35 coupe, thanks
pocketrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:52 AM   #2
Gothicaleigh
CF Newbie
 
Gothicaleigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: My world is evil, but American made...
Posts: 95
A few ideas:

-Point out to him that under 200hp doesn't leave you with too many choices anymore (the average car's horse is now well above 200).

-Explain to him that horse doesn't necessarily equate to speed at all, and what may seem like incredible power in one car may feel anemic in another.

-Base your argument around the fact that more sporting cars typically have better braking and agility (i.e. safer in some cases) than their more mundane counterparts (okay, so that one may be reaching a bit, but sometimes it takes drastic measures... :p ).

...and the best way to convince him to let you get the car you want:

Pay for it yourself.
__________________
-God is what Mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scope of our comprehension-
Gothicaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 06:56 AM   #3
NISSANSPDR
and the Revolution
 
NISSANSPDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 591
Tell him you need the extra HP to run from the cops, merge at over 100 mph on the on ramp, and you love doing doughnuts


__________________
Yours truly,
Gabriel
NISSANSPDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:04 AM   #4
Vlad
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Antelope, CA
Posts: 278
If none of the above arguments work...maybe settle for something with exactly 200hp, like Acura RSX Type S.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:25 AM   #5
PeteBobJoe
CF Newbie
 
PeteBobJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 24
Get somethign with liek 175 HP then when he's gone slap on mod into it...say a supercharger...
PeteBobJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:29 AM   #6
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-
 
Mathew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothicaleigh
A few ideas:

-Point out to him that under 200hp doesn't leave you with too many choices anymore (the average car's horse is now well above 200).


You sure about that? WELL above 200 horse? I don't think so.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:30 AM   #7
ed_7702
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketrockets
Ok so i'll be getting another car soon, my family's moving out of the country and they're taking my car w/ them ('03 Jetta Turbo), so i'm going to be getting another one. Basically my dad has agreed to help pay for it but it seems like any car w/ more than 200 horsepower he says is "too much car" i mean i've never had a speeding ticket in my life an i dont really race, i just need help constructing a convincing argument in favor of say (for example) an R32 or G35 coupe, thanks

What do you mean by too much car? Does he think more horsepower=more speed? Just look atn example of a Lotus elise, it only has 190hp but because of its light weihgt, it does 0-60m in 5 seconds. That's as fast as the V8 muscle cars having 300-400HP. So HP doesn't necessarily matter what matters is the "power to weight ratio"
And why did he come up with 200? Whatsa that number based on?
ed_7702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:54 PM   #8
Gothicaleigh
CF Newbie
 
Gothicaleigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: My world is evil, but American made...
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
You sure about that? WELL above 200 horse? I don't think so.

To give an example, I'll even use quite possibly the most average company out there, Chevrolet (ducks from the Chevy fans):

Aveo - 103hp
Cobalt - 145hp
Cobalt SS - 205hp
Cavalier - 140hp
Malibu - 144hp
Malibu LS&LT - 200hp
Malibu Maxx - 200hp
Colorado I4- 175hp
Colorado I5- 220hp
Equinox - 185hp
Blazer - 190hp
TrailBlazer - 275hp
TrailBlazer EXT - 275hp
TrailBlazer EXT 5300 - 300hp
Impala - 180hp
Impala LS - 200hp
Impala SS - 240hp
Monte Carlo - 180hp
Monte Carlo LS - 200hp
Monte Carlo SS - 240hp
Tahoe - 295hp
Silverado 4300 - 195hp
Silverado 4800 - 285hp
Silverado 5300 - 295hp
Silverado 5300 HO - 310hp
Silverado 6000 - 300hp
Silverado 6000 HO - 345hp
Silverado 8100 - 330hp
Silverado DuraMax - 310hp
Avalanche 5300 - 295hp
Avalanche 8100 - 320hp
Suburban - 335hp
SSR - 390hp
Corvette C6 - 400hp
Corvette C6 Z06 - 500hp

Chevrolet's average comes out to 260hp. That's well above 200.
__________________
-God is what Mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scope of our comprehension-
Gothicaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:43 PM   #9
Spitsign
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothicaleigh
To give an example, I'll even use quite possibly the most average company out there, Chevrolet (ducks from the Chevy fans):

Aveo - 103hp
Cobalt - 145hp
Cobalt SS - 205hp
Cavalier - 140hp
Malibu - 144hp
Malibu LS&LT - 200hp
Malibu Maxx - 200hp
Colorado I4- 175hp
Colorado I5- 220hp
Equinox - 185hp
Blazer - 190hp
TrailBlazer - 275hp
TrailBlazer EXT - 275hp
TrailBlazer EXT 5300 - 300hp
Impala - 180hp
Impala LS - 200hp
Impala SS - 240hp
Monte Carlo - 180hp
Monte Carlo LS - 200hp
Monte Carlo SS - 240hp
Tahoe - 295hp
Silverado 4300 - 195hp
Silverado 4800 - 285hp
Silverado 5300 - 295hp
Silverado 5300 HO - 310hp
Silverado 6000 - 300hp
Silverado 6000 HO - 345hp
Silverado 8100 - 330hp
Silverado DuraMax - 310hp
Avalanche 5300 - 295hp
Avalanche 8100 - 320hp
Suburban - 335hp
SSR - 390hp
Corvette C6 - 400hp
Corvette C6 Z06 - 500hp

Chevrolet's average comes out to 260hp. That's well above 200.



Yes, but mostly because of trucks and SUVs, not cars..
Spitsign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:43 PM   #10
Gothicaleigh
CF Newbie
 
Gothicaleigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: My world is evil, but American made...
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsign
Yes, but mostly because of trucks and SUVs, not cars..

Ignoring the fact that trucks and SUVs make up a good portion of the vehicles in this country, here are the Chevy numbers including only those that would be defined as a 'car':

218.46hp Still a good bit north of 200.

Aveo - 103hp
Cobalt - 145hp
Cobalt SS - 205hp
Cavalier - 140hp
Malibu - 144hp
Malibu LS&LT - 200hp
Malibu Maxx - 200hp
Impala - 180hp
Impala LS - 200hp
Impala SS - 240hp
Monte Carlo - 180hp
Monte Carlo LS - 200hp
Monte Carlo SS - 240hp
Corvette C6 - 400hp
Corvette C6 Z06 - 500hp
__________________
-God is what Mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scope of our comprehension-
Gothicaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 04:39 AM   #11
c90acm
CF Newbie
 
c90acm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 61
Just show him this, a lot of cars are over 200.


ACURA
- TSX - 200hp
- RSX Type S - 210hp

BUICK
- LaCrosse - 200-240hp
- Lesabre - 205hp

CHEVROLET
- Cobalt SS - 205hp
- Impala LS-SS - 200-240hp
- Monte Carlo LT-SS - 200-240hp


CHRYSLER
- Crossfire - 215hp
- Sebring Limited - 200hp
- 300 Touring - 250hp

DODGE
- SRT4 - 230hp
- Stratus R/T - 200hp

FORD
- Mustang - 210-300hp
- Taurus - 201hp
- Five Hundred - 203hp

HONDA
- Accord - 240hp

MAZDA
- Mazda6 s - 220hp
- RX-8 - 197-238hp

MERCURY
- Montego - 203hp
- Sable - 201hp

MITSUBISHI
- Lancer Evolution - 276hp
- Eclipse - 200-210hp
- Galant - 230hp

NISSAN
- Maxima - 265hp
- Altima - 250-260hp
- Z coupe - 287hp

PONTIAC
- Pontiac G6 - 200hp
- Pontiac Grand Prix - 200-260hp
- Pontiac Bonneville - 205hp

SAAB
- 9-2X Aero - 227hp

SATURN
- ION Red Line - 205hp

SUBARU
- WRX - 227hp
- Legacy 2.5 GT - 250hp

TOYOTA
- Avalon - 280hp
- Camry Solara - 225hp

VOLVO
- S40 T5 - 218hp
c90acm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 12:32 PM   #12
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-
 
Mathew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothicaleigh
Ignoring the fact that trucks and SUVs make up a good portion of the vehicles in this country, here are the Chevy numbers including only those that would be defined as a 'car':

218.46hp Still a good bit north of 200.

Aveo - 103hp
Cobalt - 145hp
Cobalt SS - 205hp
Cavalier - 140hp
Malibu - 144hp
Malibu LS&LT - 200hp
Malibu Maxx - 200hp
Impala - 180hp
Impala LS - 200hp
Impala SS - 240hp
Monte Carlo - 180hp
Monte Carlo LS - 200hp
Monte Carlo SS - 240hp
Corvette C6 - 400hp
Corvette C6 Z06 - 500hp

Except that the smaller cars with less horsepower sell way more units than the higher horsepower cars. So you can't just average the different models, you have to average the units sold. And if we're talking cars currently on the road, then consider that also.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 03:11 PM   #13
Gothicaleigh
CF Newbie
 
Gothicaleigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: My world is evil, but American made...
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Except that the smaller cars with less horsepower sell way more units than the higher horsepower cars. So you can't just average the different models, you have to average the units sold. And if we're talking cars currently on the road, then consider that also.

Really?
Chevrolet's best sellers are the Impala and the Silverado.

Top Ten Best Selling Cars 2004

Ford F-series.......................202-380hp
Chevrolet Silverado...............195-345hp
Dodge Ram...........................215-500hp
Toyota Camry.......................160-225hp
Honda Accord.......................160-255hp
Ford Explorer.........................210-239hp
Honda Civic...........................115-127hp
Ford Taurus..........................153-201hp
Chevrolet Impala...................180-240hp
Dodge Caravan.....................150-215hp
__________________
-God is what Mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scope of our comprehension-
Gothicaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 05:40 PM   #14
8G Galant
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ft.Myers Fl
Posts: 62
u could buy a 8 Generation galant V6 with 195 stock horses and even stock that is a fun little car a little work and u got a civic eating camero stomping machine for under $10000
8G Galant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.