Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
antiJDM
CF Newbie

Unhappy 89 cavalier from my uncle

I just got an 89 cavalier from my uncle for free. i have to do some work on it my self. It will not hold coolant and it has been sittting for 3+ years. Should i be worried about a cracked block or could it be freeze plugs?
Old 03-25-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiJDM
I just got an 89 cavalier from my uncle for free. i have to do some work on it my self. It will not hold coolant and it has been sittting for 3+ years. Should i be worried about a cracked block or could it be freeze plugs?

What motor?

Freeze plugs should be the last thing you should worry about, there's never a problem with them. Cracked block is also very un-common, so those you shouldn't worry about.

2.8 and 3.1's were really bad for head gaskets. That's most likely what your problem is. It also could be something as simple as a coolant hose, or could be your heater core even.

Does the car start? Does it run quite bad? Is the exaust really white? Does the exaust have a "sweet" smell to it?
Old 03-25-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
antiJDM
CF Newbie

the car runs well although i never payed attention to the exhaust or the smell of it. i have a 2.8 liter straight 4. I live in illinois and i have cold winters so i was worried about a cracked block. I sure hope it's not the head gasket
Old 03-25-2005, 09:36 PM   #4
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
the car runs well although i never payed attention to the exhaust or the smell of it. i have a 2.8 liter straight 4. I live in illinois and i have cold winters so i was worried about a cracked block. I sure hope it's not the head gasket

GM didn't make a 2.8 I4, the 2.8 is a V6. So I'm guessing you're talking about the 2.8 V6.

I'd put my money on it being the headgasket since you have that engine, I've done 2 or 3 on mine. Blew up my old motor because I tried to get it home with a blown head gasket, so I've been through a lot of them. It's not so bad once you've done a few of them, only takes me about 4 hours to do mine now. The front one that is. I had to do the one against the firewall on a Cavalier not too long ago, wow, that was a lot of work, that engine compartement was horribly designed. To get the fan out you have to dis-assemble the air-cleaner, and take out the battery and sneak it through where the battery sits. Just an example of how well designed they were

Last edited by 88GrandPrixSE : 03-25-2005 at 09:39 PM.
88GrandPrixSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:21 PM   #5
antiJDM
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
GM didn't make a 2.8 I4, the 2.8 is a V6. So I'm guessing you're talking about the 2.8 V6.

I'd put my money on it being the headgasket since you have that engine, I've done 2 or 3 on mine. Blew up my old motor because I tried to get it home with a blown head gasket, so I've been through a lot of them. It's not so bad once you've done a few of them, only takes me about 4 hours to do mine now. The front one that is. I had to do the one against the firewall on a Cavalier not too long ago, wow, that was a lot of work, that engine compartement was horribly designed. To get the fan out you have to dis-assemble the air-cleaner, and take out the battery and sneak it through where the battery sits. Just an example of how well designed they were

i'm absolutely sure that it's a I4, but it's 2.2 sorry my mistake
Old 03-27-2005, 04:55 PM   #6
DragonRider69
CF Newbie

Quote:
i'm absolutely sure that it's a I4, but it's 2.2 sorry my mistake
My info shows that in 1989 you could only get a 2.0L L4 or 2.8L V6...
DragonRider69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:39 PM   #7
antiJDM
CF Newbie

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider69
My info shows that in 1989 you could only get a 2.0L L4 or 2.8L V6...

well then what the hell's going on here?
Old 04-05-2005, 05:17 PM   #8
Zepplin89
CF Newbie

Quote:
well then what the hell's going on here?
Well it's definetly a 1989 cavalier with a I4. i know this for sure because i have seen it. you see this imbicile is my twin brother. It's definetly 2. something, but not 2.0.

yummy
Zepplin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 01:33 AM   #9
BenRambow
CF Newbie

Turns out who gives a flying leap about displacement when its not the head gasket but the heater core. Figured it out when we got it up on a lift and saw the runnoff from the overflow tank from the heater core. so instead of 120 for a gasket kit, it's just about 50 bucks for all the core and hoses. Yay!