Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2005, 02:35 AM   #1
46plym
CF Newbie

Huge increase in HP from an intake...

I purchased a large bore short ram intake from www.rdfabs.com for my 2000 Sunfire. I have seen a major increase in HP along with a couple of updates to my exhaust system. I didn't think it would truly make such an impact, but I can definitely see it on the low end. Plus it is 100% stainless steel and will probably be around much longer than the car itself. It is the cheapest stainless steel intake I have seen around. It looks like a mirror under my hood. I think I am going to have a full stainless exhaust system installed by them for my '46 plymouth.

Check them out.

S Van Horn
46plym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 04:11 AM   #2
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

if thats not advertizing, i dont know what is...
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 04:12 AM   #3
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

its funny how obvious it is... haha
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:03 AM   #4
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46plym
I purchased a large bore short ram intake from www.rdfabs.com for my 2000 Sunfire. I have seen a major increase in HP along with a couple of updates to my exhaust system. I didn't think it would truly make such an impact, but I can definitely see it on the low end. Plus it is 100% stainless steel and will probably be around much longer than the car itself. It is the cheapest stainless steel intake I have seen around. It looks like a mirror under my hood. I think I am going to have a full stainless exhaust system installed by them for my '46 plymouth.

Check them out.

S Van Horn

Well seeing as you say so I guess I better go get me one. Can you explain what "short ram" means coz I feel kinda ignorant not knowing?
Old 03-28-2005, 03:12 PM   #5
46plym
CF Newbie

Taboo!

I am not really into this high tech car BS, I am a more pure, old time gas guzzlin’, ozone depleting HP guy. I thought I would try something new with my everyday home to work vehicle and was pleasantly surprised. Excuse me for being a little slow on the tech side of things. I am pleased with a purchase that I made and as anyone would, simply say that they like a certain place. I am tired of the overpriced, overblown, over exaggerated claims to products. I root for the little guy whenever possible. I guess I like to go with the underdog, who has a slight disadvantage. If that is wrong then where have I been?

If I were to mention another business, like Summit (oops!) or maybe JEGS (oh man!) . I am sure that it would be totally taboo to say “Holley” out loud here.

Maybe this is not the Forum for me…
46plym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:14 PM   #6
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

You make stainless intakes sound so special, when you could just go get an aluminum one that does a better job. Aluminum transfers heat better than steel, it's cheaper, lighter and intakes last forever anyway.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:48 PM   #7
96 GRAND PRIX
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
You make stainless intakes sound so special, when you could just go get an aluminum one that does a better job. Aluminum transfers heat better than steel, it's cheaper, lighter and intakes last forever anyway.
well, if you know anything about stainless steel. you would know that it is very hard to rust and corrode. where is aluminum, will rot and corrode. especially if you live anywhere there is salt. if you know anything about metal, you would know this. and regards to the wieght, the difference is about 1.5lbs. for the total tubing. that about the weight of two soda's. Not going to make a difference in most poeples cars.

Last edited by 96 GRAND PRIX : 04-04-2005 at 11:19 AM.
96 GRAND PRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #8
blazzinbird
Banned

can we say heat soak, and would in a way change the affect of a cai
blazzinbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:02 PM   #9
96 GRAND PRIX
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzinbird
can we say heat soak, and would in a way change the affect of a cai

I have attached a link to show the benefit of stainless steel over aluminum in the area of thermal conductivity.
http://engineersedge.com/properties_of_metals.htm.

Aluminum Thermal conductivity of 136 Btu / (hr-ft-°F)
Stainless Steel Thermal conductivity of 8.09 Btu / (hr-ft-°F)

What is the meaning behind this... Heat from the motor will be transfered through the aluminum intakes at a extremely higher rate than stainless steel (aluminum gets hotter a lot faster). The air entering the aluminum intakes will also heat up faster than in a stainless steel one.
Cooler Stainless Steel = Cooler Air = Better Fuel Mixture == Increased Performance.

Here is also an article from AEM's website stating this point.
http://trucks.aempower.com/press_eve...ail.asp?aid=15

Transferring heat better is not always a good thing. Radiators = good. Intakes = bad.

If you need more proof of how stainless steel is better than aluminum I will be happy to provide it. There are many people who seem to have a false idea about stainless steel.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:57 AM   #10
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire

Nowhere does he say "CAI." He said short ram.

Enjoy the extra 4-5 ponies on your sunfire, pal.