Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2005, 10:02 AM   #1
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer
 
car_crazy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,849
Ideas For First Car

Hey, I am 15 and am looking to buy my first car. I was thnking something older from the 60's or early 70's and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions? I like almost all makes of cars from those years (mostly dodges tho). I don't have a lot of money and so i would like something thats cool but at the same time isn't that hard to find original or aftermarket parts for. I already have a rebuilt 350 small block from a 1979 Chevrolet Silverado (still in truck) with a 4 bolt main, bored over, quadra jet carb., and a 400 trans. (auto.) so that can help if i find a nice old chevy. I'd like to hear your opinions. Thanx.

Last edited by car_crazy89 : 03-21-2005 at 04:53 AM.
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:03 PM   #2
fc7gtx
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 78
Since you are interested in the '60's-'70's cars my advise is brouse through on-line auctions/forums and get an idea of what you can afford. These cars aren't cheap anymore but there still are good deals out there. Its more about what you can afford then what car you want. Some cars have gotten so expensive they are out of most of ours price range. Many on-line auction want top dollar for their cars so maybe you could buy a local Auto Trader/newspaper or go to a few car shows/swap meets to get info or find a good deal. There out there, just takes some time to find one. I saw a guy yesterday on another forum buy a 'rough' but driveable V8 Duster for $600.00. Since they made a lot more Camaro's and Mustangs maybe you can look that way. Mopars have gotten pricey. Keep you eyes open. If you want a little power and not a lot of expense find you a nice '88-90 LX or GT 302HO mustang. They are fun to drive, make some power and they made a lot of them so their prices aren't bad. Good Luck!

Last edited by fc7gtx : 03-20-2005 at 07:27 PM.
fc7gtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:11 PM   #3
antiJDM
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17
well if you're 15 you'd be better off drivin aminivan and still being a ble to make the insurance payments
__________________
antiJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:42 AM   #4
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer
 
car_crazy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,849
Ya but the only problem with a minivan is that there no so cool lol. I know insurance will be VERY high especially if its an older car but i'm not as worried about that yet, i still got till September before i can go for my G1. I kinda want a car that needs some work that you can do either in the driveway or a single garage. I'd be happy to listen to anyones opinions. Thanx.
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:16 AM   #5
corbett_auto
CF Addict
 
corbett_auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: just west of Charlotte, NC
Posts: 448
My advice is to get one that is running that doesn’t need much work to be drivable. It doesn’t take long to get in over your head and budget with a classic car. Another reason you want it running is because it makes it easier for a novice to spot problems that could run into big bucks. Like brakes, trans, clutch, steering, ect. Have some one you trust that knows about cars to come with you and listen to what they have to say no matter how “cool” the car looks. An outsider’s opinion can keep you from being taken for a ride. (Excuse the pun)

My
__________________
corbett_auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:55 AM   #6
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer
 
car_crazy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,849
Haha thanx, i know what you mean. My dad knows a lot about cars (not into them as much anymore though) so i would get him to look at it and go by what he thinks. I actually found i car i kinda like and might have him check tomorrow, it is a 1977 Mustang II, black on black with gold rims (thats all i know lol). I still like hearing ideas and opinions though cause otherwise my only other choice so far is probly a 1993 or newer Honda Civic 2 door (rather something old ). I had never totally thought about the costs of some replacement parts either. Thanx again.

Last edited by car_crazy89 : 03-26-2005 at 08:59 AM.
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:46 PM   #7
AmericanMuscle1
CF Newbie
 
AmericanMuscle1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2
all i can say is steer clear of dodge... if i were you id go with an early 70s Chevy Nova... helluva car
AmericanMuscle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:11 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle1
all i can say is steer clear of dodge... if i were you id go with an early 70s Chevy Nova... helluva car
So are there any facts behind your "advice" or are you just another online jackass who wishes to appear as though they have at least a sliver of knowledge?

If so please provide requested facts. If not, please go screw yourself.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 04:48 PM   #9
DPelletier
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle1
all i can say is steer clear of dodge... if i were you id go with an early 70s Chevy Nova... helluva car

I agree, those 426 Hemi's and 440 Six Pack cars really suck!

Dave
__________________
1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:06 PM   #10
fc7gtx
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle1
all i can say is steer clear of dodge... if i were you id go with an early 70s Chevy Nova... helluva car



Quote:
I agree, those 426 Hemi's and 440 Six Pack cars really suck


fc7gtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:17 PM   #11
Bino
Written Off
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, Oregon, USA
Posts: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
So are there any facts behind your "advice" or are you just another online jackass who wishes to appear as though they have at least a sliver of knowledge?

If so please provide requested facts. If not, please go screw yourself.

Damn, what's your f'n problem man. Is your very existance to try and rake people over the coals. Get a f'n life a-hole, your posts add nothing to the topic so 'f off.

Yes, stay away from a Dodge/Chrysler/Mopar... why? Well, because the newer vehicles are plagued with electrical problems (I don't know about the older vehicles, but I know 9 out 10 people I've ever met say Mopar's blow goats, I'm too young to know if that's true or not), and the older vehicles were not as popular as say the GM muscle cars. So, since you're 15, parts are going to be less expensive and more available for the GM muscle cars (although I find the '68 and on Nova's to be rather dumb looking, just a preference).

Oh, and a Hemi or a 440 six-pack is great, but you can't possibly make an arguement for an entire manufacturer because they made a great engine way back in the day. As I see it, it's completely offset by the fact that they stopped making the only good thing they had going for them (Hemi).

Granted, I can appreciate a nicely restored classic Mopar muscle car just as much as the next guy. But, I don't believe it's a great project for somebody on a limited income who's just getting into the game (nice purple gtx btw).

Last edited by Bino : 03-28-2005 at 11:22 PM.
Bino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:01 AM   #12
DPelletier
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
Damn, what's your f'n problem man. Is your very existance to try and rake people over the coals. Get a f'n life a-hole, your posts add nothing to the topic so 'f off.

Yes, stay away from a Dodge/Chrysler/Mopar... why? Well, because the newer vehicles are plagued with electrical problems (I don't know about the older vehicles, but I know 9 out 10 people I've ever met say Mopar's blow goats, I'm too young to know if that's true or not), and the older vehicles were not as popular as say the GM muscle cars. So, since you're 15, parts are going to be less expensive and more available for the GM muscle cars (although I find the '68 and on Nova's to be rather dumb looking, just a preference).

Oh, and a Hemi or a 440 six-pack is great, but you can't possibly make an arguement for an entire manufacturer because they made a great engine way back in the day. As I see it, it's completely offset by the fact that they stopped making the only good thing they had going for them (Hemi).

Granted, I can appreciate a nicely restored classic Mopar muscle car just as much as the next guy. But, I don't believe it's a great project for somebody on a limited income who's just getting into the game (nice purple gtx btw).

This is a CLASSIC CAR Forum and as such any reference or question is going to be taken in that context. Ergo, comments about newer vehicle's electrical problems (real or imagined) are irrelevant. As you say, your too young to know, so I suggest you save your advice and to stick to topics you are knowledgeable in. I worked for many years in the auto parts business and I can assure you that Mopar Classic cars and Musclecars don't have any big "issues" to keep me from recommending thier purchase to others.
Any potential increase in the cost of parts (marginal) will very likely be offset by the fact that you can often find a Dart or Duster for much, much less than the equivalent Camaro or Nova.
As far as the 440 Six Pack and 426 Hemi being "the only good thing they had going for them", that also is not true. The 225 slant six, 340 and 340 six pack and the 383 and 440 Magnums were also very good engines.
Dodge (DC) today has the Viper and the best diesel pick-up truck on the market.

I'm not a died-in-the-wool Mopar guy, and VWHobo's responses can be "caustic" at times, but making a statement like "...all I can say is stay clear of Dodge" does invite such a rebuttal.

Cheers,
Dave
__________________
1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:27 AM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino
Damn, what's your f'n problem man. Is your very existance to try and rake people over the coals. Get a f'n life a-hole, your posts add nothing to the topic so 'f off.
No Monkey Boy, but part of my existence is devoted to making people stick with facts or base their opinions on facts. Now I'm sure in all your years on this earth you've restored, modified or raced as many cars as I have... Well no, on second thought I bet you haven't RIDDEN in as many cars as I've restored, modified or raced. And then you come along and defend some idiot who makes a statement that has no facts to back it up. Furthermore you add your own imaginary history of the reliability of an entire manufacturer to support your statements.

The only thing I can tell you at this point is that stupid is as stupid does and I think we've found our two stupids in this thread.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 05:50 AM   #14
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer
 
car_crazy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,849
Haha, i actually like the Darts and Dusters along with the Camaros and Novas anything old (and preferably 2 door) is something i like and would seriously consider, even some of the old Station Wagons. Lol. You dont need nothing bigger then a 340 in a Duster, Dart, etc. or a 350 in Nova or Chevelle but theres some cars that you just think are under powered unless they have the Big guns ie. the 426 or 440. its nice to know you have the get up and go when you want it and in a bigger car like the Charger, Challenger, etc you want a bigger engine, and to be honest, you want the bragging rights. In my opinion Dodge has alot of great older cars and i am more interested in them then any other make but i'd have to say Chevy and Ford are a close 2nd and 3rd (just my opinion). I've always wanted something old and 'Muscular" that i could be proud to show off and be different from most people my age driving Honda or Neon, etc. I say older is the way to go, the looks and speed make up for the costs, their definately worth it in my books. I hope you keep reply and i thank you for your opinions so far.
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 05:51 AM   #15
Bino
Written Off
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, Oregon, USA
Posts: 844
Just for the record, I wasn't really defending him, I just happen to agree with him.

Dave: Your post is great and I welcome founded criticism. You're probably right about the newer vehicle reference, that was irrelevant. My comment about finding parts had mainly to deal with drivetrain components. There is no cheaper engine to rebuild or find parts for than a SBC. It is also very easy to find a 3spd, 4spd, or 5spd manual transmission, or Powerglide, TH350, TH400, or 700R4 from nearly any year GM passenger car to fit. And, while it may be possible to find a very cheap Duster or Dart, I don't believe finding replacement interior components or body panels is very easy. I sort of got the idea that he would be finding a project vehicle. If you disagree, I more than welcome your opinion.

And, just for the record, Dodge is using a great motor from Cummins, the truck is really nothing special (the motor really is, don't get me wrong). The Viper seems fine, but has never achieved the "supercar" performance that I think they were looking for, and I would expect for the price.
Bino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.