Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2005, 05:00 PM   #1
crew1441
CF Newbie

1995 Ranger Drain Plug torque specs?

I have a 1995 Ford Ranger with a 3.o and i can't figure out how tight to torque the drain plug. i really need to change my oil soon. i have looked all over the internet and it doesnt say anything in my owners manual i got with my truck. Please help me out.
Also i was just wondering, if i change my oil, would it be a bad thing to put in a different type of oil. my dad owned the truck before me and he would use SAE 30 oil, but it is so hard to find it around here i am just thinking about getting 10w30 instead. i figured since i am draining the old oil it will be fine, but im not 100% sure.
crew1441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 07:21 PM   #2
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Well, I wouldn't suggest changing your oil if you don't have a feel for how tight to make the plug, because most people who don't know over-tighten it, and some hardly tighten it. Just use a normal wrench and give it a quick jar and that should be tight enough.

As for the oil, where do you live? The weather is what determines what type of oil to use. Usually you cant go wrong with 10w30 though.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:43 PM   #3
crew1441
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Well, I wouldn't suggest changing your oil if you don't have a feel for how tight to make the plug, because most people who don't know over-tighten it, and some hardly tighten it. Just use a normal wrench and give it a quick jar and that should be tight enough.

As for the oil, where do you live? The weather is what determines what type of oil to use. Usually you cant go wrong with 10w30 though.

Thanks, but i wont change the oil until i know how tight to make it. i dont want to risk over tightning the drain plug. thanks for the help though.
crew1441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:27 AM   #4
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
ford recommends 5w-30, and the drain plug.... really.. you aren't serious are you. i looked and looked and looked but see no spec for it(that doesn't mean there isn't one)it's just something that no one probably ever looks for, anyway thread it on with your fingers until the drain plug gasket is ............ like WTF tight but don't strip it, it isn't a wheel nut so it'll probably be like 20 foot pounds but really if you don't know how tight it should be i think you should let someone else do it.....or just do it yourself cuz the only way you'll learn is by making a mistake.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:00 AM   #5
srober32
CF Addict

I think that what he started to say was tighten until the gasket touches ( finger tight ) and then one eighth to one quarter turn with a wrench. It's like 20 to 35 ft. lbs. Not all that tight really but as stated not a lug nut.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:09 AM   #6
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
yeah thanks i started to say that but kind of lost patience.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:11 AM   #7
srober32
CF Addict

No prob, quite understandable. LOL