Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2003, 07:47 AM   #1
error
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10
CRX Engine Swap....$$$

iam getting a CRX with high miles! and iam planing on swapin it with a JDM Engine. I was wondering how much it would cost to get it swaped at a shop????


error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 03:27 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Re: CRX Engine Swap....$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by error
iam getting a CRX with high miles! and iam planing on swapin it with a JDM Engine. I was wondering how much it would cost to get it swaped at a shop????



Hot tip of the day... Ask the shop you're going to have it done at. They promised not to quote my prices, and I promised not to quote theirs.

Seriously there are alot of factors to consider. How much does the engine cost? Are you also swapping the transaxle and if so, how much is that? What other hi-po parts are you going to install? What is the labor rate at the shop you're going to? The list is quite extensive.

What you need to do is visit some shops and pose the question to them. Shop around and find a place you're comfortable with. And remember, the place with the lowest price isn't necessarily the place with the best value.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 04:37 PM   #3
error
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10
iam going to buy a used jdm engine for like 600-800 and all i need is the engine swap. What would be an estimate of how much a shop will charge JUST for a swap?
error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 05:27 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by error
iam going to buy a used jdm engine for like 600-800 and all i need is the engine swap. What would be an estimate of how much a shop will charge JUST for a swap?

Your response is proof that you read three sentences of my post which is a good thing. Now read all of it and that would be a better thing. It just might take a little effort on your part to find your answer.

Second tip for the day. Installing a JDM engine is very seldom a direct replacement. Due to different powertrain management and emissions systems and regulations you often have to use parts from the old engine on the new one or change things on the car (PCM for example) to make it work. I don't know exactly what you have or what you're getting and it sounds like you might not either. Another reason to TALK TO THE SHOP THAT WILL DO THE WORK.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 05:06 AM   #5
error
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10
the shop is really far from where i live and i dont have a car.... and i was just wondering if an engine swap whould cost me LOTS of money like 1000-2000 dollars.... it would help to know this before i buy an old ass 88 crx that will need an engine swap.... I Found an 88 crx that is working and running but I know it will soon need a new engine, there for I ask how much will it be, because the crx is $800 dollars and I dont wanna find out later it will cost me more that $2000 just for installing the new engine and parts needed.... It Would really Help to know a price range on how much this will cost me, If's its too much then I rather get a newer car for all that money, that has a good engine and stuff.. :!:
error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 05:10 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by error
the shop is really far from where i live and i dont have a car.... and i was just wondering if an engine swap whould cost me LOTS of money like 1000-2000 dollars.... it would help to know this before i buy an old ass 88 crx that will need an engine swap.... I Found an 88 crx that is working and running but I know it will soon need a new engine, there for I ask how much will it be, because the crx is $800 dollars and I dont wanna find out later it will cost me more that $2000 just for installing the new engine and parts needed.... It Would really Help to know a price range on how much this will cost me, If's its too much then I rather get a newer car for all that money, that has a good engine and stuff.. :!:

Do they have telephones where you live? I'm guessing they do if you have internet access so... Pick up the phone and use it. And since you're so insistent here's a price range for you. Somewhere between $300 and $3000. Probably.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 10:49 PM   #7
error
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10
3000$!!!!!!!!!! iam just gonna buy the engine and install it my self!!


all it is really is disconneting the old motor and conneting the new motor!!!!! shop's thinnk there slick!!!!
error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:05 PM   #8
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by error
3000$!!!!!!!!!! iam just gonna buy the engine and install it my self!!


all it is really is disconneting the old motor and conneting the new motor!!!!! shop's thinnk there slick!!!!

Ya...most of that stuff that hangs off of it is just fluff anyway...you really don't need it all. Just so you're able to bolt it onto the transmission...that's all that counts anyhow.

__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:25 PM   #9
error
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10
error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 03:09 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Is it too soon for me to use the words "frigging idiot" yet?
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 03:20 PM   #11
SuperJew
I like pie.
 
SuperJew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Suburbia Central, New York
Posts: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Is it too soon for me to use the words "frigging idiot" yet?

I think you are safe now....IMO you were safe in the beginning, because this whole concept was retarded.
__________________


CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 04:56 AM   #12
error
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10
shut up idiot
error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 05:11 AM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by error
shut up idiot
That's what I've been thinking for a while now. Go look in the mirror and repeat your last post ten times.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 06:09 AM   #14
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!
 
mazda6man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,158
what jdm engine are you talking about getting? because there are quite a bit: B16a (civic type R)? B18c (integra type R)? B20 (crv)? or just a good ol' D16 (SOHC) with your choice of vtec/no vtec? LS? H22? or GS-R?
__________________
I = JDM titeness
Toyota 4 Life;
I rock X Chassis Toyotas daily
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 06:17 AM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda6man
what jdm engine are you talking about getting? because there are quite a bit: B16a (civic type R)? B18c (integra type R)? B20 (crv)? or just a good ol' D16 (SOHC) with your choice of vtec/no vtec? LS? H22? or GS-R?

Read all of his posts, do you think he really has any idea? My gut feeling is he's here asking questions because nobody where he lives will talk to him anymore.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Everything You Want to Know... About Horsepower and Torque, Part 1 vwhobo Repairs & Maintenance 38 08-03-2009 11:27 PM
1992 Mazda 929 engine won't start...not the battery myarbrough1 Repairs & Maintenance 8 02-11-2005 08:36 PM
Nissan engine swap JeenYus Asian Imports 8 07-21-2003 11:43 AM
318i E30 engine replacing Repairs & Maintenance 5 01-18-2003 05:11 PM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.