Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2005, 07:18 PM   #1
SamJaarsma
CF Newbie

Question Ford Fiesta 1.8 Diesel ('91) pump seal replacement

Hi,

My name is Sam and I live off the coast of Spain on an island called Mallorca. We own a 91 Jeep Cherokee 4.0, the subject of this post: a Ford Fiesta 1.8 D, a VW Dune Buggy with a Ford 2.3 V6 engine and a Moto Guzzi V65 Florida... I have done a bit of mechanics (182 HP VW Beetle, 150 HP Turbo Diesel VW Van ('83), 8.2 litre DAX Cobra etc. etc..), but still consider myself a "weekend warrior" as I learn by doing. That leaves plenty of room for mistakes... Here is another one:

Ford Fiesta 1.8 D 1991, engine code RTC, Bosch fuel pump.

I had to replace the seal on the drive shaft of the diesel pump. I marked the belt, released the tensioners and took it off. I marked the tooth belt gear to the flange of the diesel pump and took it off. Then I removed the flange with a pully puller, assuming it could be mounted only in one position...

WRONG: Ford never bothered to copy the sleeve for the single spline that is present in the shaft, to the flange... It can be mounted in any position..

So I continued my work and assembled the parts to my best possibilities. The engine starts, but running clearly tels me that timing of the fuelpump is off.

So how do I position the flange to the pump? Anybody out there that has access to Haynes Ford 1.6 and 1.8 litre Diesel Engine (84 - 96) manual? Or a Ford manual?

I have a german book on this model, but is goes as far as replacing the belt only...

Thanks guys!

Ca'n Verd
Urbanización Son Bielo 6B
Quarter IX, poligono 5
07320 Santa Maria
Palma de Mallorca
España
T +34 971 141096
M +34 660 594305
E samjaarsma@telefonica.net
http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/samenanja/
Messenger: samjaarsma@hotmail.com